On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Yes, I think I probably always imported the certificate by double clicking on it and using the wizard, which supposedly puts the certificate in the right store automatically!
This time it obviously didn't put it where it needed to be.

Just a couple of quick off-topic questions about HTTPSProxy.
Do you know why there are two entries for HTTPSProxy.exe in Task Manager?
Different PIDs and different memory usage.

Also, would you expect using HTTPSProxy to significantly slow down your internet connection speed?
This probably happened with ProxHTTPSProxyMII as well, but I never noticed it!
Using 360Chrome, where you can easily switch the proxy off and on, on the Cloudflare speed test I'm getting 66Mbps with a direct connection, but only 21Mbps with the proxy enabled, an enormous difference! I know of course that online proxy servers are always very slow, when they work at all, but I'm surprised that a local proxy should cause such a speed hit. Is that expected?
:dubbio:

25 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Do you know why there are two entries for HTTPSProxy.exe in Task Manager?

I do have that too and that's absolutely normal. A lot of programs have one main instance calling up a second one probably with different tasks. For example 360Chrome does the same. First 360Loader.exe calling up 360chrome.exe calling up a second instance of 360chrome.exe and more of them.

25 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Also, would you expect using HTTPSProxy to significantly slow down your internet connection speed?

Of course there are a lot of proxies slowing down speed. Due to the fact that I use these proxies for Internet Explorer access or Internet Explorer engine access only it doesn't matter for me.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

I started using a proxy because my ancient Eudora e-mail program uses the IE engine to display messages, and I started getting certificate errors popping up all the time.
That's the only reason I have to use the proxy (and now for Microsoft Update on IE8 again of course!) so it's not really a problem.
I was just a bit puzzled. I would expect some loss of speed, but not a third of what it should be!
:)

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

No it doesn't matter, I was just wondering why the loss of speed was so great with a locally running proxy.

The proxy has a lot to do. Checking web sites, generating cerificates, comparing web site addresses with config.ini settings and so on. Poor proxy! :realmad:
And there might be another cause for such loss of speed. You're running Mwarebytes 3.5.1.2522. It has a web filter function and this might cause such loss of speed either. Switch off web control function and do your speed test once again!

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

No it isn't that. As you say it's almost certainly just the processing that the proxy has to do which is casing a bottleneck.
As reading a lot of my e-mails would be a very painful process without the proxy, I'll live with it!
:yes:

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

No it isn't that.

In my Windows XP system Avast Premier is the main security solution in combination with Windows 10 Firewall Control XP. Avast works perfectly but the web protection causes in a lot of cases an huge loss of speed especially while surfing, connecting via VPN or downloading files although a lot of exclusions have been made by me. In such cases switching off web protection is the only way to have full speed again. The older the computer is, the greater the loss. And my computer running Windows XP is 21 years old.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction