Team Viewer Drops Windows XP Support

FranceBB

Team Viewer just dropped support for Windows XP, which makes me incredibly angry 'cause it's not like the whole programme it's not compatible, but it's just a single flipping call in SHELL32.dll (SHCreateItemFromParsingName).

JeanKinzler from support stated

Hi all,

Thank you for your message.

We are sorry, that you encountered compatibility issues by installing TeamViewer on your Windows XP devices. As Microsoft itself stopped supporting Windows XP two years ago, it is now almost impossible for us to fix Windows XP issues. I hope you can understand the unfortunate situation.

So I opened my own ticket (If Team Viewer was open source, I would have coded an alternative to that call myself.): https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/Missing-function-call-in-TeamViewer-14-0-13880-Windows-XP/m-p/50142

"TeamViewer.exe" looks for "SHCreateItemFromParsingName" in "SHELL32.dll", but that function doesn't exist in Windows XP as it has been introduced in Windows Vista.

SHSTDAPI SHCreateItemFromParsingName(
  PCWSTR   pszPath,
  IBindCtx *pbc,
  REFIID   riid,
  void     **ppv
)

SHCreateItemFromParsingName is a function that creates and initializes a Shell item object from a parsing name. Its parameters are "pszPath", which is a pointer to a display name, "pbc" which is optional and it's a pointer to a bind context used to pass parameters as inputs and outputs to the parsing function, and "riid" which is a reference to the IID of the interface to retrieve through "ppv" which contains the interface pointer requested.

large?v=1.0&px=999

If you use Team Viewer, please reply to my ticket in order to raise attention.

Edited by FranceBB

You should maybe PM blackwingcat, he's really good at fixing things like this. A lot of programmers are jumping on that (Kill Support for Older OS) Microsoft bandwagon. It really is only a handful of experienced programmers on MSFN as of now, use to be a whole lot more of them years ago.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

16 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Team Viewer just dropped support for Windows XP, which makes me incredibly angry 'cause it's not like the whole programme it's not compatible, but it's just a single flipping call in SHELL32.dll (SHCreateItemFromParsingName).

JeanKinzler from support stated

So I opened my own ticket (If Team Viewer was open source, I would have coded an alternative to that call myself.): https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/Missing-function-call-in-TeamViewer-14-0-13880-Windows-XP/m-p/50142

"TeamViewer.exe" looks for "SHCreateItemFromParsingName" in "SHELL32.dll", but that function doesn't exist in Windows XP as it has been introduced in Windows Vista.

SHSTDAPI SHCreateItemFromParsingName(
  PCWSTR   pszPath,
  IBindCtx *pbc,
  REFIID   riid,
  void     **ppv
)

SHCreateItemFromParsingName is a function that creates and initializes a Shell item object from a parsing name. Its parameters are "pszPath", which is a pointer to a display name, "pbc" which is optional and it's a pointer to a bind context used to pass parameters as inputs and outputs to the parsing function, and "riid" which is a reference to the IID of the interface to retrieve through "ppv" which contains the interface pointer requested.

large?v=1.0&px=999

If you use Team Viewer, please reply to my ticket in order to raise attention.

Still working for me:dubbio:

pic2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Team Viewer 14.1.6265 Beta working on Windows XP... Well... Sort of...

Unfortunately, I can't share it 'cause TeamViewer is not opensource and redistribution of modified software without authorization is not allowed. (I don't wanna get another warn by Dencorso as I got a year ago).

Let's see how long it's gonna last. I'll keep you updated.

SH2Gy8n.png

Edited by FranceBB

• 2 weeks later...

For god sake when i opened TeamViewer 14.0.13880 after long not use im getting this and even updating to the new version gives this error.After of clicking the latest version works

img45.JPG

img46.JPG

For those good with a hex editor:
HRESULT SHCreateItemFromParsingName (4 params)
HRESULT SHBindToParent (4 params)
HRESULT SHCreateFileExtractIconW (4 params)
HRESULT SHCreateShellItem (4 params)
HRESULT SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems (4 params)
HRESULT SHPathPrepareForWriteA (4 params)
HRESULT SHPathPrepareForWriteW (4 params)

4 hours ago, someguy25 said:

For god sake when i opened TeamViewer 14.0.13880 after long not use im getting this and even updating to the new version gives this error.After of clicking the latest version works

img45.JPG

LONG64 InterlockedCompareExchange64(
  LONG64 volatile *Destination,
  LONG64          ExChange,
  LONG64          Comperand
);

The function compares the "Destination" value with the "Comparand" value. If the "Destination" value is equal to the "Comparand" value, the "Exchange" value is stored in the address specified by "Destination", but since the function has been introduced in Windows Vista, on XP no operation is performed, which basically means that Team Viewer *will* run, but every "Comparand" will be considered a mismatch, which means that it might behave unpredictably. Anyway, since it's closed source, I don't know where that function lies in the code and what they use it for. If you experience any "weird" behaviour, report it here, please.

Last but not least, people, please, reply to the ticket I made to raise awareness to the Team Viewer team!

4 hours ago, someguy25 said:

img45.JPG

LONG64 InterlockedCompareExchange64(
  LONG64 volatile *Destination,
  LONG64          ExChange,
  LONG64          Comperand
);

The function compares the "Destination" value with the "Comparand" value. If the "Destination" value is equal to the "Comparand" value, the "Exchange" value is stored in the address specified by "Destination", but since the function has been introduced in Windows Vista, on XP no operation is performed, which basically means that Team Viewer *will* run, but every "Comparand" will be considered a mismatch, which means that it might behave unpredictably. Anyway, since it's closed source, I don't know where that function lies in the code and what they use it for. Still, you can just redirect it to the normal InterlockedCompareExchange which is supported on XP: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winnt/nf-winnt-interlockedcompareexchange

Last but not least, people, please, reply to the ticket I made to raise awareness to the Team Viewer team! https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/Missing-function-call-in-TeamViewer-14-0-13880-Windows-XP/m-p/50142

Edited by FranceBB