Audacity 2.3.0 fails to run on Windows XP

sdfox7

4 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@sdfox7 it was working fine in my VM and it's working fine for @someguy25 as well, however in my VM I do have all the C++ Redistributable, .NET Framework and all the POSReady updates. ucrtbase it's included with the C++ Redistributable 2015, but I can include it, no problem. New installer: Link

Oh forgot to say that why is there some black stuff on the buttons?

When i put the mouse on the buttons it goes away

be pavadinimo.JPG

fdfsd.JPG

Crap... it happens on my system too. It's the UI rendering engine that misbehaves on XP 'cause buttons are supposed to be slightly rounded, but they are rendered as square on XP, therefore you get black at the edges.

This is how they are supposed to look like (Windows Server 2019):

QSboNaN.png

13 hours ago, jumper said:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\KnownDLLs]
"API-MS-Win-Core-String-L1-1-0"="Kernel32.dll"

Are you saying all I have to do is create that entry in the registry? I wanted to double-check before I go messing around in there.

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@sdfox7 hopefully, this time it will work for you as well: Link

Still not working. Apparently there are enough changes in 2.3.x that complicate running the program on XP. I wonder if a different compiler was used by the Audacity team. Major hacks shouldn't be needed to get the program to run, especially since 2.3 is a minor version update and not a major update version. I don't see why all versions of Audacity 2.x.x wouldn't be supported on XP.

aud230_3.jpg

Ok, so this time there aren't missing dependencies, it just fails to load, which is weird 'cause it means that it's something related to your system.

Honestly, I don't know why it doesn't work on your system, as I tried it on a few other systems and it was working fine, especially 'cause I included every dependency needed. 

Besides, the message you are getting is related to the C++ Redistributable.

Do you have an updated system? Which Antivirus do you have? Can you check that whatever antivirus you are using it's not interfering with the executable? (Please note that it's not digitally signed, so some antivirus products might not like it).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

@Dibyacan you try to run it on your XP as well? It's just to make sure that the issue is related to his system. After all, the installer works for someguy25 as well as in my virtual machine.

20 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Can you check that whatever antivirus you are using it's not interfering with the executable? (Please note that it's not digitally signed, so some antivirus products might not like it).

Avast didnt like the patched audacity on my XP pc.

@FranceBB
 I tried it right now on my PC . It is working flawlessly. I tried it right now on clean VM as well . It work flawlessly. Some ui bugs are present but nothing to major or in bearable . I trimmed a flac rip to test and voila it works .

I really appreciate your commitment to making programs WinXP compatible.

Sorry if it can be considered O.T.
I am interested in geometry programs and I have found the 'Best fit' program on the CodeProject site, least-squares best-fitting of circle and rotated ellipse by Alasdair Craig.
www.codeproject.com/Articles/692787/Best-fitting-line-circle-and-ellipse
github.com/acraig5075/best-fit-demo
github.com/acraig5075/best-fit
github.com/acraig5075/test-points
The program is under the Code Project Open License (CPOL) www.codeproject.com/info/cpol10.aspx

Unfortunately, the program (demo-app.zip) only runs on Win7SP1 with Universal-C-Runtime installed (Win7SP1 KB2999226) and inside the zip file there are the BestFitDemo.exe, mfc140.dll, msvcp140.dll, vcruntime140.dll!

Is there anyone kindly willing to try to compile the 'Best fit' program so that it has fewer dependencies and can run on a WinXPSP2 or Win2000SP4 OS?
I asked the developer if he could do it, but unfortunately I did not get any answer!
Thank you very much. Best wishes for your efforts and results.

I41Mar

On 11/11/2018 at 7:43 AM, FranceBB said:

Ok, so this time there aren't missing dependencies, it just fails to load, which is weird 'cause it means that it's something related to your system.

Honestly, I don't know why it doesn't work on your system, as I tried it on a few other systems and it was working fine, especially 'cause I included every dependency needed. 

Besides, the message you are getting is related to the C++ Redistributable.

Do you have an updated system? Which Antivirus do you have? Can you check that whatever antivirus you are using it's not interfering with the executable? (Please note that it's not digitally signed, so some antivirus products might not like it).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

@Dibyacan you try to run it on your XP as well? It's just to make sure that the issue is related to his system. After all, the installer works for someguy25 as well as in my virtual machine.

You may want to include 'avformat-55.dll' also. It looks for this at startup; unfortunately the latest version of ffmpeg uses avformat-58.dll, so it doesn't find it :rolleyes:

15:08:01: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from system paths. File name is 'avformat-55.dll'.
15:08:01: Looking up PATH environment variable...
15:08:01: PATH = '<redacted>;C:\Program Files\ffmpeg'
15:08:01: Checking that '' is in PATH...
15:08:01: FFmpeg directory is in PATH.
15:08:01: Checking for monolithic avformat from 'avformat-55.dll'.
15:08:01: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-55.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
15:08:01: Loading avutil from ''.
15:08:01: Error: Failed to load shared library '.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
15:08:01: Loading avcodec from ''.
15:08:01: Error: Failed to load shared library '.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
15:08:01: Loading avformat from 'avformat-55.dll'.
15:08:01: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-55.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
15:08:01: Error: Failed to load FFmpeg libraries.
15:08:01: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 11/11/2018 at 6:14 PM, I41Mar said:

I really appreciate your commitment to making programs WinXP compatible.

Sorry if it can be considered O.T.
I am interested in geometry programs and I have found the 'Best fit' program on the CodeProject site, least-squares best-fitting of circle and rotated ellipse by Alasdair Craig.
www.codeproject.com/Articles/692787/Best-fitting-line-circle-and-ellipse
github.com/acraig5075/best-fit-demo
github.com/acraig5075/best-fit
github.com/acraig5075/test-points
The program is under the Code Project Open License (CPOL) www.codeproject.com/info/cpol10.aspx

Unfortunately, the program (demo-app.zip) only runs on Win7SP1 with Universal-C-Runtime installed (Win7SP1 KB2999226) and inside the zip file there are the BestFitDemo.exe, mfc140.dll, msvcp140.dll, vcruntime140.dll!

Is there anyone kindly willing to try to compile the 'Best fit' program so that it has fewer dependencies and can run on a WinXPSP2 or Win2000SP4 OS?
I asked the developer if he could do it, but unfortunately I did not get any answer!
Thank you very much. Best wishes for your efforts and results.

I41Mar

BestFitDemo works for me. Sometimes problems with Win7 compatibility can be solved by installing Extended XP (makes possible to start some newer EXEs, sometimes using FCWin2K.exe helps too) and then by adding necessary files from One-Core-Api extension. (I don't recommend installing O-C-A completely since it may cause problems with some programs which work otherwise. Also I had some problems with Extended XP update so I cannot recommend it, and in case you don't use SP3 you should try installing previous version WindowsXP-KB3126593-v3-x86-ENU.exe with SP3 registry trick...) Assuming you installed Extended XP, from One-Core-Api you need wrapper Kernel32.dll (in your program's folder) with Ntext.dll and Kernelex.dll - this one is nothing but renamed standalone Kernel32.dll (you should use Dibya's version from Extended XP), Ucrtbase.dll with some Api-ms-win DLLs (it's easier to copy them all to your program's folder or to Windows\System32, or you can use separate installer; maybe even DLLs from Win7 would work). In your program's folder you also need text file BestFitDemo.exe.manifest with a line for Kernel32.dll what will redirect your program to use Kernel32 from its own folder instead of that one from System32. (That's the simplest way, no need to modyfy any DLL or EXE). (Instead of full installation you can just manually replace some system files with versions from Extended XP package, at least Kernel32.exe, Ntdll.dll and Msvcrt.dll.)

4 hours ago, aviator said:

BestFitDemo works for me. Sometimes problems with Win7 compatibility can be solved by installing Extended XP (makes possible to start some newer EXEs, sometimes using FCWin2K.exe helps too) and then by adding necessary files from One-Core-Api extension. (I don't recommend installing O-C-A completely since it may cause problems with some programs which work otherwise. Also I had some problems with Extended XP update so I cannot recommend it, and in case you don't use SP3 you should try installing previous version WindowsXP-KB3126593-v3-x86-ENU.exe with SP3 registry trick...) Assuming you installed Extended XP, from One-Core-Api you need wrapper Kernel32.dll (in your program's folder) with Ntext.dll and Kernelex.dll - this one is nothing but renamed standalone Kernel32.dll (you should use Dibya's version from Extended XP), Ucrtbase.dll with some Api-ms-win DLLs (it's easier to copy them all to your program's folder or to Windows\System32, or you can use separate installer; maybe even DLLs from Win7 would work). In your program's folder you also need text file BestFitDemo.exe.manifest with a line for Kernel32.dll what will redirect your program to use Kernel32 from its own folder instead of that one from System32. (That's the simplest way, no need to modyfy any DLL or EXE). (Instead of full installation you can just manually replace some system files with versions from Extended XP package, at least Kernel32.exe, Ntdll.dll and Msvcrt.dll.)

Can you explain more about your manifest method? How that redirection of api works?