Anyone else having problems with many 2018 updates for POSR 2009?

Tomcat76

As it stands, the last IE8 cumulative that works reliably for me is the one from February 2018.  Aside from that, I can't install most other updates either (without rendering my system unusable).

Symptoms:
- system clock running too slow
- loud crackling noises while playing YouTube videos

To fix things back, it's usually enough to uninstall the updates I installed last and re-apply the February 2018 IE8 cumulative update (no need to uninstall it first).  If that still doesn't work, I need to install Windows Installer 4.5, reboot, uninstall Windows Installer 4.5 and reboot once more.

I attempted to compile a list of "bad updates" last week, but I gave up.  I would install one or two updates, reboot, and verify if everything was still fine.  If so, I'd move on to the next one or two updates.  If those failed, it happened that uninstalling those updates, re-applying the IE8 cumulative update and installing/uninstalling Windows Installer 4.5 didn't help, but uninstalling the updates from the previous "known-good" batch would.  I already had to unmark several that I thought were good.  This makes it really hard to debug.

Reading through the forum, though, it seems I'm the only one having this problem.  Only the bad oleaut32.dll and its issue with "Find Target" appear to be commonly shared.

It is worth mentioning that August 2018 (and later) updates requires CPU with SSE2. If You still use the system with Intel Pentium III Tualatin or AMD Athlon XP then do not install updates from August 2018 and later. Stay with July 2018 and earlier updates because these are known to be latest working updates for CPU without SSE2 support.

You need to leave Windows Installer 4.5 installed. It's needed for many POSReady updates and has been for some time, as documented at the main POSReady thread:

On 3/19/2013 at 8:28 PM, glnz said:

First, before making the registry change below, you should download and install Microsoft's updated Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288-v3) from THIS LINK@Sebijk for Windows XP 32-bit, which is what we assume you have.

Also, MS released a couple of "stinkers" that cause lots of problems:

On 7/18/2018 at 4:29 PM, heinoganda said:

There were problems with KB4074852, KB4134651 and currently KB4134651-v2, where a modified update was created. For the modification, the file oleaut32.dll was taken from KB4018556-v2 with a change of the file version.

:)

Windows Installer 4.5 is actually part of the problem for me.  I'm beginning to suspect it's something specific about my hardware that's causing this.  Maybe the Audigy 2 PCI card?

I haven't updated Windows between regular XP's EOL date and the time I finally upgraded to POSReady 2009 (more than two years) so it's not like I care too much about having an up-to-date XP; but it would be nice just to figure out what's going wrong.

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I thought that problem was supposed to be fixed now anyway?
I guess we'll find out on the 11th.
:dubbio:

Yes... that's weird... last time I tried to run Microsoft Update it ran smoothly and it found updates in a short amount of time. Maybe it also depends on the region? Maybe some Microsoft servers are now working fine for some regions and some others are not. Who knows. 

Actually I've always found that MS Update scans fine as long as there is no update for IE8 pending.
It suddenly falls over on Patch Tuesday when that monthly update is rolled out.
If you run it any other time it's OK.
:)

On 9/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, Tomcat76 said:

Windows Installer 4.5 is actually part of the problem for me.  I'm beginning to suspect it's something specific about my hardware that's causing this.  Maybe the Audigy 2 PCI card?

I haven't updated Windows between regular XP's EOL date and the time I finally upgraded to POSReady 2009 (more than two years) so it's not like I care too much about having an up-to-date XP; but it would be nice just to figure out what's going wrong.

What goes wrong when you install Windows Installer 4.5? I bet if we can get that fixed, you'll be able to install most of the POSReady updates too.

I hadn't heard of it causing problems for anyone, but there are so many machine configurations out there....

Originally I installed all of the updates, but it wasn't too long before the system was acting flaky and a little sluggish. I don't know what the cause was, but it could have been something I did (e.g., too much system hardening). Anyway, I decided to start over and use more of a minimalist ("less is more") approach. I did a restore from an older system image that was fairly pristine and had no POSReady 2009 updates installed. Now I only install the IE8 updates and the updates for .NET Framework 4.0, and the system is running great. Since I don't use Windows XP for surfing the web, I am not concerned about installing every available update.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 11:44 AM, Tomcat76 said:

Symptoms:
- system clock running too slow
- loud crackling noises while playing YouTube videos

2 Qs: (i) just YouTube videos or those from CNN, BBC, Twitter, too? (ii) have you tried to replace the CR2032 battery?

• 2 weeks later...

No, not yet.  But I think I won't bother with it anymore.  My new computer should be up and running in a couple of weeks.  That should hopefully fix all problems.  Thanks anyway for the suggestions.