Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
Octopuss

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Disk is of the GPT style

I am trying to install Windows 10 into a VM, but keep getting this error.
What the hell is going on? I had a lot of problems with this stuff on Windows 7, which kind of made sense to me, given the age of the OS, but why is it happening with Windows 10?

Why shouldn't it install to a GPT disk? That's what I want!

When its booted from efi its need gpt partition to be able install

In your hypervisor controls, disable legacy boot ability for that vm if possible. Otherwise, use the boot menu key to select the UEFI option for your install media. If your install media is using an answer file, make sure the portion regarding partitions is correct.

Also, what is the size of your VM virtual disk? I have seen some situations where diskpart (or setup's implementation of it) will automatically try to create GPT disk on disks larger than 2TB even if booted in legacy mode.

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2018 at 5:41 PM, aviv00 said:

When its booted from efi its need gpt partition to be able install

Read the error message again.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:56 PM, Tripredacus said:

In your hypervisor controls, disable legacy boot ability for that vm if possible. Otherwise, use the boot menu key to select the UEFI option for your install media. If your install media is using an answer file, make sure the portion regarding partitions is correct.

Also, what is the size of your VM virtual disk? I have seen some situations where diskpart (or setup's implementation of it) will automatically try to create GPT disk on disks larger than 2TB even if booted in legacy mode.

Hypervisor controls? What is that?
The VM disk is 50GB.

I am not sure you understand, the installation fails BECAUSE the disk is of GPT type, which doesn't make any d*** sense. And yes, the answer file is correct.

Edited by Octopuss

On 3/10/2018 at 4:29 AM, Octopuss said:

Hypervisor controls? What is that?
The VM disk is 50GB.

I am not sure you understand, the installation fails BECAUSE the disk is of GPT type, which doesn't make any d*** sense. And yes, the answer file is correct.

A VM runs in a Hypervisor. You have settings for the VM and for the Hypervisor. Of course you don't put which one you are using, so I have to use the general terms.

Anyways, Windows Setup is dumb, or at least the errors it gives are dumb. You can get this GPT error in this scenario:

- System is set for EFI only or Hybrid (EFI+Legacy/CSM enabled) and you boot your install media in legacy mode.

In a production environment, I direct all users to either use EFI or Legacy and to not enable the hybrid option except for in a scenario where it is required. And in either case, never let the system determine your boot method, always use the menu and always choose the one you want.

It should show some better error messages, such as: your boot mode is x, your disk type is x, here is the error message.

There are no settings for anything called hypervisor in Virtualbox. At least I can't find any.

And UEFI support is pretty nonexistant too. BUT I got it working for Windows 7, so I don't understand why it's acting like this with 10.