Modern Browser Project 2018

Destro

I just want to focus all my time into  getting something better than what we have right now.  What we were able to accomplish with KernelEX was amazing for the time. 

I want to make this thread to help share ideas on what is possible.  I have a few ideas of my own that I plan on working on but I want to hear from others.  I think trying to get newer versions of Opera is a waste of time because even the latest versions on XP seem to work pretty bad imo.  Firefox is a total hog and just gets worst and worst the higher the version the more bloated and slow.  But we need limited HTML 5 support at the very least.  SSL and updated certs.  We need script blocking and add blocking to help slow machines.

22 minutes ago, Destro said:

We need script blocking and add blocking to help slow machines.

It seems that add blocking can make a browser horribly slow when using blocking lists because there's a huge number of blocking rules. That's what I found when trying Otter browser under XP.

@hotnuma It would make pages slower to load probably, but once loaded, the pages should be lighter and more responsive.

@Destro Retrozilla is sort of meant to fulfill the role of a modern-ish browser for 9x. However, it seems that, save for minor updates to security ciphers and rendering, it's only about as good as Firefox 2.x or 3.x at best. At least for now.

It's probably a longshot, but it might be worth trying to get Pale Moon to compile and run on 9x. This is most likely impossible, even with KernelEx, but some features and improvements could be backported to Retrozilla?

c

Even simple support of the newer standards would be appreciated. I can give or take HTML5, the charm and novelty of watching Youtube on Windows 98 can't be enough to justify the headache or sluggishness of running a mere 360p video. If it at least means MSFN and some news sites, for example, can render more accurately, that's fine in my book.

I hope we all can think of something...... Even if we have to use a modern computer to process the website and then it sends the images to Windows 98 but somehow makes links clickable... The Javascript/CSS heavy websites (which are most of them now) can slow down even a 2.4ghz p4 processor..... It feels like new websites really need a Multit-threaded/multi-core process to load the website decently.

On 12/3/2017 at 6:43 PM, cc333 said:

It's probably a longshot, but it might be worth trying to get Pale Moon to compile and run on 9x. This is most likely impossible, even with KernelEx, but some features and improvements could be backported to Retrozilla?

Has anyone tried running that custom Pale Moon over on the XP forum with KEX?

And yes, some of the changes could be backported. Right now, one of the major problems on RZ (at least in my experience using it while not developing it) is some security/cert issues. I have been getting errors and warnings a lot more lately, that's probably the next big thing to be fixed. I'm still thinking of the best way to do rendering. The Mozilla graphics rendering engine switched between 2.x and 3.x, so I have to think about how to go about it. CSS/HTML shims are a possibility going forward, as well as possibly including NoScript and enabling it by default.

Kmelon people seem interested in using Goanna engine in kmelon based on work that roytam1 had been doing on newmoon.  roytam1 was demonstrating running it on a 586 architecture.  That project has the most possibility for 98se users.  Any browser that can run without SSE or with only SSE at the minmum is the way to go.  SSE2 is a no go for 9x users.

Edited by Destro

On 12/7/2017 at 11:38 PM, Destro said:

Kmelon people seem interested in using Goanna engine in kmelon based on work that roytam1 had been doing on newmoon.  roytam1 was demonstrating running it on a 586 architecture.  That project has the most possibility for 98se users.  Any browser that can run without SSE or with only SSE at the minmum is the way to go.  SSE2 is a no go for 9x users.

OK, if someone backports the code, what coding program will he/she need? The latest visual studio ain't gonna run on 9x.

i personally wouldn't use any w9x based systems with anything less than a SSE2 CPU if you want to connect it up to the web or internet ( really i am looking at SSE3 minimum actually if i were to actually do a serious build or experimenting since SSE2 seems to not load a lot of webpages properly either or perhaps it could be from other reasons ), but yeh, the instructions are necessary for a lot of websites to function properly or load completely, even though processors that only have SSE like the pentium iii will load sites like wikipedia fine, it tends to limit what you can do. 

of course browser issues are another thing as well as javascript / java support as mentioned earlier here. the only thing i ask of is hoping that we can have further unofficial updates for increased compatibility and other fixes. i miss being able to load youtube videos on windows 95 at 240p on either firefox 2.0.0.20 or opera 10.10 / 10.63 unofficial, although it would have been nice if it was possible to run it at higher playback settings, i never understood why there was this limitation for windows 95. now it's difficult enough to get 98SE to play youtube videos at all and i used to be able to run videos at 1080p, for some reason, i couldn't select that option more recently when it did work, 720p was the max, although 720p still looks really good. 

Edited by cov3rt

On 12/7/2017 at 3:49 AM, rn10950 said:

Has anyone tried running that custom Pale Moon over on the XP forum with KEX?

And yes, some of the changes could be backported. Right now, one of the major problems on RZ (at least in my experience using it while not developing it) is some security/cert issues. I have been getting errors and warnings a lot more lately, that's probably the next big thing to be fixed. I'm still thinking of the best way to do rendering. The Mozilla graphics rendering engine switched between 2.x and 3.x, so I have to think about how to go about it. CSS/HTML shims are a possibility going forward, as well as possibly including NoScript and enabling it by default.

for rz SSL/cert issue, upgrading NSS/NSPR may do the job.

welp I tried testing roytam1 km/goanna on 98se with kernelex and it didn't work.  Perhaps I am just not good enough.  Anyone else willing to work on it feel free. 

Get updated Kernelex here and discuss 

Get patched msvcr120 here for 586

https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/msvcr120-i586.7z

Get km/goanna here

https://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/km76-goanna341-bin.7z

K-Meleon failed to initialize. Please reinstall.

K-MELEON caused an invalid page fault in
module at 0000:00000000.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=019f EIP=00000000 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00471ba8 SS=01a7 ESP=00f6fd74 EBP=00f6fdd8
ECX=00000000 DS=01a7 ESI=00000000 FS=20b7
EDX=00000000 ES=01a7 EDI=00471a90 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 00 00 00 65 04 70 00 16 00 66 06 65 04 70 00
Stack dump:
00429095 00471a90 00471a90 ffffffff 00471a90 00471a90 00000000 bfa57553 00000000 00000000 00400000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0045af2c

I'd like to see someone compile the latest K-Meleon for Win9x. I like K-Meleon because it's lightweight and uses native Win32 controls instead of that Mozilla XUL nonsense. Not sure how up to date and compatible it is with all of the latest HTML5 and JavaScript standards.

7 hours ago, CamTron said:

I'd like to see someone compile the latest K-Meleon for Win9x. I like K-Meleon because it's lightweight and uses native Win32 controls instead of that Mozilla XUL nonsense. Not sure how up to date and compatible it is with all of the latest HTML5 and JavaScript standards.

You may bet on KM with Gecko 1.9.x, but it is not today's web standard anymore.