Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


win98geek

WinTV-HVR-1600 Windows 98 SE Driver Needed

Recommended Posts

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 5:38 PM, MrMateczko said:

No drivers are available for 98SE for any PCI-E x1 device. (unless someone proves me wrong)

PCI-E x1 devices are simply too new for 98SE.

Don't be so quick to rule out a whole category of devices. ;) Besides the known working PCI-E video cards I know of at least one example of a PCI-E network card and sound card working under 98. I assume USB2 PCI-E cards would work as well if such exist.

Here's a PCI-E network card with 98 drivers. (V1 ONLY mind you; V2 (pictured; V1 looks different) does not work with V1's drivers. I have several.) TG-3468

And here's a PCI-E sound card that works with 98. (I have one.) CMI8738

Also, it may be worth trying the drivers for PCI devices with similar PCI-E devices. Nothing to lose in trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The device at hand is a TV capture card, it has (including the software) a level of complexity that is higher than a "normal" network card or of an audio card, and since part of the software (besides strictly the driver) is "proprietary" it is very probable that it is "picky", even on supported OS.

Anyway the TVR-H-1600 is PCI so that is not the issue at hand.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1600.html

The Win-TV-USB cards do have drivers for 98:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_usb.html

But more or less the  PCI cards supported in Windows 9x are seemingly the 250 and 350:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html

jaclaz


 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Don't be so quick to rule out a whole category of devices. ;) Besides the known working PCI-E video cards I know of at least one example of a PCI-E network card and sound card working under 98. I assume USB2 PCI-E cards would work as well if such exist.

Here's a PCI-E network card with 98 drivers. (V1 ONLY mind you; V2 (pictured; V1 looks different) does not work with V1's drivers. I have several.) TG-3468

And here's a PCI-E sound card that works with 98. (I have one.) CMI8738

Also, it may be worth trying the drivers for PCI devices with similar PCI-E devices. Nothing to lose in trying.

Network cards do exist for PCIe with 98 support.  Look for Realtek.

As for PCIe with USB 2.0 drivers for 98 that I don't believe exists which is needed on Z170 and later where PCI slots are usually missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

The device at hand is a TV capture card, it has (including the software) a level of complexity that is higher than a "normal" network card or of an audio card, and since part of the software (besides strictly the driver) is "proprietary" it is very probable that it is "picky", even on supported OS.

Anyway the TVR-H-1600 is PCI so that is not the issue at hand.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1600.html

The Win-TV-USB cards do have drivers for 98:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_usb.html

But more or less the  PCI cards supported in Windows 9x are seemingly the 250 and 350:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html

jaclaz

Where are you seeing the 9X driver for the 250 and 350?

On this link it's only showing XP and up.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html

Latest WinTV-PVR-250/350 installation CD

The WinTV-PVR-250 and WinTV-PVR-350 are only supported under 32-bit versions of Windows.

Installation note:

A valid WinTV application CDROM will be needed to install this WinTV v6 version. Any WinTV-NOVA version 4x, WinTV-PVR, WinTV version 6 or WinTV v7 application CD can be used during the install. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to this WinTV v6 version, you can purchase a new CD on the Hauppauge webstore.

WinTV version 6 plus WinTV-PVR drivers. Installation CD Version 4.6b

Note: This is a single file which includes the driver, the driver update, middleware, video decoder and WinTV v6 applications and all accessories. This file is larger than the individual pieces, but should be easier to install since it is in one file.
Note: this package is for Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Edited by 98SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 98SE said:

Where are you seeing the 9X driver for the 250 and 350?

I stated:

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

... the  PCI cards supported in Windows 9x are seemingly the 250 and 350:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html


 


 

Go here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html

Click on the FAQ tab.

Expand the question "What Operating Systems are supported by the WinTV-PVR-250/350?":

Quote

The WinTV PVR 250/350 will function under Windows98SE (Second Edition), WindowsME, Windows2000, and Windows XP.

It will not function under Windows95, NT 4.0, Windows XP64 or Embedded and is not currently supported under Windows Server2003, or Linux.

jaclaz


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I stated:

Go here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr250-350.html

Click on the FAQ tab.

Expand the question "What Operating Systems are supported by the WinTV-PVR-250/350?":

jaclaz

Still no official downloadable 98 drivers.  You'll need to find one with the original CD on eBay.  A lot of these get junked.  PVR250-350 would be useless today due to DTV transition.  Do you see any other models with downloadable 98 drivers?

Edited by 98SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 98SE said:

Still no official downloadable 98 drivers.

Still what? :w00t:

I never talked of downloadable drivers, official or not, you managed to introduce the matter.

Do we really need to debate about the availability (or non-availability) of drivers for a not-in-the-hands-of-the-OP card?

When/if someone will ask for those drivers, then - maybe - they will be looked for (and hopefully found) *like* here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051001102448/http://www.hauppauge.com:80/pages/support/support_pvr250-350.html

WHAT (the heck) is the problem? :dubbio:

jaclaz


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Still what? :w00t:

I never talked of downloadable drivers, official or not, you managed to introduce the matter.

Do we really need to debate about the availability (or non-availability) of drivers for a not-in-the-hands-of-the-OP card?

When/if someone will ask for those drivers, then - maybe - they will be looked for (and hopefully found) *like* here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051001102448/http://www.hauppauge.com:80/pages/support/support_pvr250-350.html

WHAT (the heck) is the problem? :dubbio:

jaclaz


 

Original site for XP driver only is down.  Found a backup link.  Maybe some way to extract from executable just the driver files to inspect INF and transfer IDs to 98 INF.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305175037/http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/drivers/wintv-hvr-1600_driver_1_62_28243.exe

Good find jaclaz, not sure if WinTV-HVR-1600 can be added to work but here are the 98 INF supported IDs from PVR 250/350.  I still recommend to use WinTV-HVR-1600 with XP instead of 9X/ME.  It uses around 200MB when WinTV is started and memory usage climbs up.  Maybe a proper 9X/ME beta driver might exist near product launch.

.

.

HCWPVRP2.inf
;---------------------------------------------------------------
;              Hauppauge WinTV-PVR PCI II
;---------------------------------------------------------------

[Hauppauge]
%p2.DeviceEncode%       =p2.Dev15,          PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0803&SUBSYS_40010070
%p2.DeviceEncodeDecode% =p2.Dev15_VO,       PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0803&SUBSYS_40000070
%p2.DeviceEncode16%     =p2.Dev16,          PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40010070
%p2.DeviceEncode16%     =p2.Dev16_NH,       PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070
%p2.DeviceEncode%       =p2.Dev15,          PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0803&SUBSYS_48010070
%p2.DeviceEncodeDecode% =p2.Dev15_VO,       PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0803&SUBSYS_48000070
%p2.DeviceEncode16%     =p2.Dev16,          PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_48010070
%p2.DeviceEncode16%     =p2.Dev16_NH,       PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_48090070

.

.

HCWPP2.inf
;---------------------------------------------------------------
;              Hauppauge WinTV-PVR PCI II
;---------------------------------------------------------------

[Hauppauge]
;; Amity2 Retail
%A2.DeviceAmity2%=Amity2_Std,  PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_80030070
;; Amity2 OEM
%A2.DeviceAmity2%=Amity2_Std,  PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_88010070
;%A2.DeviceAmity2%=Amity2_Std,  PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_88030070
;; AmityDT
%A2.DeviceAmity22_1%=Amity22_1,  PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_E8070070
%A2.DeviceAmity22_2%=Amity22_2,  PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_E8170070
;; Baldwin2 OEM
%A2.DeviceBaldwin2%=Baldwin2_Std,  PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_C8010070
;; Unsupported Hardware
;%A2.DeviceAmityUnsupported%=Amity2_Std,  PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...