Jump to content

Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCry' attacks


Jody Thornton
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Dibya: No I don't, I talk about legal and "official" counter measure by MS to their unsupported users, I think MSE is quite "external"

Well after all of this (and wait for what happen in monday) it will sure almost like mini XPocalipse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Dibya said:

a bank near my home got infected with wanna crypt . they are unable to do any work . Situation is terrible .

One of my neighbor who work their called me . I have tried many thing . any one has any solution ?  Over internet  i tried many help ful content but none is helpful .

They are running windows 10 with latest updates . might not got wannacrypt update

I'm surprised since it was said that the worm was targeting out of date systems.  From what I understood, Windows 10 was not affected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dibya said:

I want that

I am working on it . Use any good AV and forget about it or ask MSE heingonda that work with the malware

you got infected ? All windows version are infected . are you leaving xp ?

Actually, I don't think (if you did updates) that 7, 8.1 or 10 are affected.  I run Windows 8 RTM, and the update didn't install for me, only because it was previously patched on a Server 2012 update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TuMaGoNx said:

@Dibya: No I don't, I talk about legal and "official" counter measure by MS to their unsupported users, I think MSE is quite "external"

Well after all of this (and wait for what happen in monday) it will sure almost like mini XPocalipse.

I remember back when I was considering moving off of XP x64 to Vista, because I was worried about the lack of updates forthcoming.  I took a lot of flack here because I wanted to continue speculating worst case scenarios if I stayed on XP x64 Edtion.  Apparently, I was going on and on ad-nauseum and giving in to FUD.  Well, this was the very type of situation I was worried about.

I'm not sorry I was worried about it now, or that I was going on and on about.  I feel a bit vindicated in my concerns today, and I think this really REALLY demonstrates why people shouldn't feel easy about running unsupported products.

From what I'm reading, if there is no use of SMB or file sharing on a network, you're likely fine.  If you have port 139 closed, then great.  I have File and Printer Sharing removed.  So, I think I'm overall pretty good.

But it's at this moment I'm glad that XP is in my rear-view mirror.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dibya said:

you got infected ? All windows version are infected . are you leaving xp ?

A lot of news sites are making hay over the fact that many companies/organizations still run XP, and outside of 2009POSReady the XP family did not receive the SMBv1 patch until WannaCry hit.

You can expect a lot of smug "I told you so" from the FUD crowd, and I'm sure this ransomware will convince a lot of those companies/organizations that had been using XP will now jump ship because of this. In spite of Microsoft actually going the extra mile here, the lesson a lot of people are going to take from this is that there's got to be other vulnerabilities that Microsoft won't patch (or at least won't patch until it becomes a crisis) which wouldn't have been an issue if they'd been using 10.

The 2009POSReady trick probably isn't well known outside of these parts, or IT techs in those organizations using XP know about it but were unable to apply it for executive/managerial reasons.

36 minutes ago, JodyT said:

I feel a bit vindicated in my concerns today, and I think this really REALLY demonstrates why people shouldn't feel easy about running unsupported products.

But it's at this moment I'm glad that XP is in my rear-view mirror.

This is really only a concern for XP64 users and not XP32 users here at MSFN, given XP32 users are still technically covered until 2019.

However, when the SMBv1 vulnerability was announced and Microsoft offered no patches for XP/Vista, I looked into the seriousness of the vulnerability. The techie friends I know came to the same conclusion you did; if you've got a decent router, you're good. The only effective way the vulnerability could be exploited in that case is if your machine was on a larger network, and someone used another machine on that network to hit yours.

I've no intentions to put XP in my rear-view mirror, not even after this. Running unsupported products just means you need to be on the lookout for potential threats, and figure out what precautions you need to take.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TrevMUN said:

You can expect a lot of smug "I told you so" from the FUD crowd, and I'm sure this ransomware will convince a lot of those companies/organizations that had been using XP will now jump ship because of this. In spite of Microsoft actually going the extra mile here, the lesson a lot of people are going to take from this is that there's got to be other vulnerabilities that Microsoft won't patch (or at least won't patch until it becomes a crisis) which wouldn't have been an issue if they'd been using 10.

But how is this FUD though?  This has now been demonstrated as a reality.  I realize most here run POSReady 2019 updates, so that's good, but that's not most XP users (as you've mentioned)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And one other thing?  Why is it not OK for Microsoft to say, "sorry we gave you 13 years of support, so now please let's move along".  Why is that a bad thing?  Microsoft needs to sell products to stay in business.  So if they aren't going to patch on older OS, then it's vulnerable.  It's not their responsibility to bail out companies that won't switch.

And yet, we call that FUD here.  No, it's just progress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JodyT said:

And one other thing?  Why is it not OK for Microsoft to say, "sorry we gave you 13 years of support, so now please let's move along".  Why is that a bad thing?  Microsoft needs to sell products to stay in business.  So if they aren't going to patch on older OS, then it's vulnerable.  It's not their responsibility to bail out companies that won't switch.

And yet, we call that FUD here.  No, it's just progress.

its fud only .

XP during 2014 is used by more than 15 % people worldwide so asper law they cannot stop support 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure they can.  This has been practiced for years.  Warranties expire.  Terms and agreements expire.  Where is this against the law?  And so what that 15% uses it.  What makes you specifically say it's FUD?

That just baffles me.  Even I agree that I'm on my own with Windows 8, but that's also a much newer, modern system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, TrevMUN said:

The 2009POSReady trick probably isn't well known outside of these parts, or IT techs in those organizations using XP know about it but were unable to apply it for executive/managerial reasons.

We can get away with POSready-ing our home XP's but imagine that whole, let say, British NHS is going to use this trick, and how many lawyers' bul***** might be thrown into when M$ will realize that thousands of machines are getting updates that no one have paid form :>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dibya said:

its fud only .

XP during 2014 is used by more than 15 % people worldwide so asper law they cannot stop support

Which Law? :w00t:

Where/Under which jurisdiction? :dubbio:

jaclaz
 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to Windows Update to see if this update was available, and actually can't access Windows Update. Can anyone confirm if WU still works? I disabled SSL 3.0 because most sites don't work with it due to POODLE.

wupupd.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • dencorso changed the title to Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCry' attacks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...