Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
i430VX

POSReady 2009 hack not working...

Hello, I'm Having trouble with the posready 2009 update hack for windows xp. I have unofficial sp4 3.1b installed. i still tried removing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded from registry, and of course, adding

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

I have fiddled around with windows update settings, and firewall settings. i get plain xp updates for things i recently installed, but dont get posready updates.

Go to harkaz's GDrive link , there you will find fixit file

Make sure you don't have any of these keys either:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded (you said you removed this one already)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES

And make sure you've installed version 4.5 of the Windows Installer.

nope, still not working. :(

How do you know it is not working, Mr.Presario?  If your test criterion is that you're not receiving Patch Tuesday updates from the Microsoft Update website, then you're not alone.  Nobody is receiving February's updates because Microsoft cancelled them this month for all operating systems.  ;)

Well, i haven't gotten any posready  updates from any month...could this cancellation affect my ability to get all updates, or just the nonexistent February ones?

Mr.Presario, sorry, but this tweak works for everyone. If it does not work for You then following options are available:

1. You have incompatible system (Windows XP w/SP2 or Windows XP x64 [Windows Server 2003 x64], for example).

2. You still have one of the following incompatible registry tweaks:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

Remember, it is impossible to remove these keys from Your (already booted) operating system. You should boot from Live CD with WinPE or ERD commander CD (or another OS installed on your computer if present) and use external registry editor (like erdregedit) to finally remove them.

Edited by Bersaglio
typo

I am using ie8 on xp sp3 32-bit

i also have win7 installed, so i will boot into that and download erdregedit

Edited by Mr.Presario
clarity

okay... i loaded the hives into win7 regedit, and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

were all not there, just like in windows xp regedit.

and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady was there with the correct dword value.

of course these weren't literally in hkey local machine , because i loaded the hive somewhere else.

i checked windows update again and got office 2007 updates but nothing else (i recently installed office 2007 compatibilty pack)

should i have a key called "mediacenter" with dword 0x00000000 in the hkey local machine\system\wpa folder? (i dont have xp mce)

perhaps there's a way to manually install the updates?

Screenshot_28.bmp

Edited by Mr.Presario

The following figure shows which entry is needed to make POSReady Updates available.

prbxt5ve4fa9.jpg

:)

looks to be about the same... scribbled out things that might identify me.

http://prntscr.com/eba0fa

heres what most of currentcontrolset\control currently looks like

http://prntscr.com/eba1yw

thank you.

Edited by Mr.Presario

Update: YAY!!! reinstalling sp4 did fix the problem. i got 4 posready updates, which is a start. if memory serves me, it was sort of random how many updates i got per check.(my computers are weird)

Thank you all for your help!

:):):)