Why is everything turning into HD?

Tommy

Okay, so today I was finally pushed over the edge. Why is everything putting "HD" in its title now? First it started out with Oxi-Clean Laundry Detergent which their new stuff lists itself as HD. Now this morning I saw a commercial for Crest toothpaste, which now it identifies itself as HD.

So, just exactly how much more "High Definition" can you get than real life itself? If anything, I truly find these HD titles to be totally bogus. What's next? Bacon HD? Chevrolet Malibu HD? Just slap on an HD at the end and it automatically becomes better! :rolleyes:

A few years ago the "hot word" was "Turbo".

As for HD in some cases it actually means "Heavy Duty" so it makes sense for things like Oxi-Clean.

Bacon, not so much.

Hope I never need "HD" toothpaste.

Edited by PCBONEZ

Actually, the HD logo is only on the diskettes that are both high density and double-sided. The single-sided 720KB diskettes (that I had to drill a hole through to convert to 1440KB/1.4MB) don't have the HD logo even though they are high density at 18-21 sectors per track.

...And now in the closet I find a box of ten 5.25" diskettes that go back ~30 years:

Memorox
2S/HD

Double Sided
High Density (1.6 MB)

Flexible Disks
TEN: 5 1/4"
FOR: IBM PC-AT AND OTHERS

and

Recording Sides: Two
Media Density: High
Sectoring: Soft
Tracks Per Side: 80
Memorex
2S/HD Flexible Disk

Edited by jumper

1 hour ago, jumper said:

Actually, the HD logo is only on the diskettes that are both high density and double-sided. The single-sided 720KB diskettes (that I had to drill a hole through to convert to 1440KB/1.4MB) don't have the HD logo even though they are high density at 18-21 sectors per track.

Those appear to be "QD" or Quadruple Density:
http://www.hardware-bastelkiste.de/floppy.html

Even so, that HD is actually meaning High Density.

Here is a baseball card set, 2001 Topps HD:
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/1497/cid/282642/2001-Topps-HD-12-Cal-Ripken-Jr.

Back to what Tommy meant by HD, I'm not much of a fan of HD-TV.

Before it all the designated "hot chicks" (weather girls, leading roles in movies/TV and such) WERE hot.

Now you can see so well that you can see their makeup -and- the blemishes underneath it. Some things are better left unseen.

I compensate by not wearing my glasses when I watch TV. The gals are cuter that way.

Edited by PCBONEZ