Win 10 Critical Mass Slipping Away?

NoelC

There are very few tweaking threads here about Windows 10.  Likewise, in a few other places I frequent the discussion about configuring and modifying Win 10 has all but stopped.  I personally DON'T go to answers.microsoft.com - wouldn't be caught dead there any more since Microsoft made it plain my kind wasn't welcome.

As a tweaking community I feel like we're losing critical mass with regard to Win 10... 

I mean, I kind of understand...

• Win 10 is just stagnant and isn't that interesting any more.
  • Microsoft's policies of continuing to un-tweak Win 10 are wearing people down.
  • People aren't really adopting it, but are mostly just falling back to older Windows after trying it once.
  • People are waiting for the next (Redstone) release before fooling with Win 10 any more.

Did I miss anything?

-Noel

From a purely statistical viewpoint, it seems to me like the (currently) 14.15% that reportedly use 10, of which only a very, very small[1] subset will actually be "tweakers" has NEVER been even NEAR to "Critical Mass".

Very likely the "generic tweakers" had a look at it between july and december 2015, and (righteously) made a new year proposition to never touch it again (unless at gunpoint).

It seems to me like you mistook a "surge" due to novelty with a "critical mass". :w00t::ph34r:

The good news :) being that the few that still believe that the abomination can actually be "cured" have much more visibility ...

jaclaz

[1] Most probably the large, large majority of people using Windows 10 are people that have been "forced" or "tricked" into using it, most people interested in the "tweaking" - by definition more knowledgeable on the OS inner workings than most - would have (still) alternatives.

Consider this speculation:  At the Shop where I get to play with computers, people donate the computers they don't want.  Quite often the PC comes in with no hard drive (personal information preservation).  However, some have told stories about updating to Win 10, the PC quit working and their favorite service guy couldn't fix it or get them back to the original Win 7 as identified by the COA on the case.  Some said that they just bought an iPad which took care of their computer needs.  My speculation is that there are a lot of counted Win 10s that don't exit anymore!?  Media and marketing only seem to count up with no procedure to count down.  Critical Mass like an ice cube in the ocean that just disappears.  [But I put 10 ice cubes out there.  They're still out there, aren't they?]  Maybe on a real cold day?

How about Intel cutting back on personnel because they are not getting the orders for new computer chips?  New computer sales seem to be diminishing.  Does that mean there are not so many new Win 10 PCs going out?  Or are there more AMD chips going out?  Or not.

The decrease in interesst and use could also comme from the fact the free upgrade is very limited:

- you can't change any material part of your computer. If you do, you lose activation and when you call Microsoft activation services, they'll tell you that you need to restore your old os then upgrade again unless you want to pay for a retail win 10 license.

- the uac is extremely anoying and MS force the users to let it enabled as you won't be able to launch metro apps if you disable it and even calc became a metro apps in win 10.

It looks like to me that they are just trying to force people to buy win 10 license eventhough they are still offering the free upgrade.

So far, no one I know has been able to identify an App that's actually good for anything, so disabling UAC is a no-brainer (as in, Just Do It).  It's then an easy follow-on step to just remove all the Apps and most of the App support.  And the stress begins to melt away...

Everything so far done in Apps can already be done better (in any number of ways) with an Application (you know, those Win32 things that we have been running on the Desktop since the last millenium).

Regarding license prices...  Who cares?  If it was worth having for free it would be worth having for $200. 

Put another way, they can't even give it away to half a billion people so far!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Simple fun thing happened today.

Normal machine (Win7), runs my chip burning hardware... A USB connected TOP2007 programmer.

For others reasons I had to use this programming device on a different machine- I even had the original driver disk.

Tried to setup on the i7 powered Win 10 machine... setup was unable to install the usb drivers for the device... tried as administrator ... what ever, didn't work.. stuffed about for 10mins.

Went instead to a laptop running Win7, its a reasonably fresh installation.. just like the Win10 machine.
Setup ran perfectly and the programmer works fine. I was even doubting it could go so well.

Now, for an out of the box experience, and arguments about stability and all that.... if an OS can't run something as simple as a chip programmer installer without hassle.. its worthless.

Windows 10, failed today for me. Windows 7 succeeded.

Cheers.

Clearly they want you to buy new stuff to be able to continue doing what you have been doing.

Compatibility USED to be high on Microsoft's priority list, but those days are gone.  If it's not utterly convenient for them they will be moving on.  I guess it wasn't convenient to support a UNIVERSAL serial bus device for that particular hardware.

The Win 10 fanbots would first run you around the block, suggesting you run the installer in compatibility mode, then when you reported it STILL didn't work, they'd say you're wasting your time with 2007 technology anyway, and you should be spending it getting to know a Microsoft subsurface pro 5 phablet instead.  You're not supposed to tinker with things.  You're just supposed to send money to the Good Guys at Microsoft for new things.  Continuously, so they can Keep Up The Good Work.  And besides, the joy of figuring out where they hid the goods in the latest XAML (God Bless You) Start Menu is more than THEY can handle, so it should be enough for YOU!

il_340x270.858178256_a4ml.jpg

-Noel

The latest Insider fast track Win 10 Update, 14332, installed cleanly within 45 minutes on the 10 year old Apple MacBook!  Win 7 runs fine on the MacBook as well.  How much will the Win 10 ice cubes sell for after July?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:49 PM, NoelC said:
  • People are waiting for the next (Redstone) release before fooling with Win 10 any more.

Did I miss anything?

What I missed was the (lack of?) anticipation that RS1 wouldn't add anything impressive - or frankly even appreciable - to Windows 10, and so there is still precious little interest.

The only recent tweak that's caught eyes around here is that Big Muscle has resurrected Aero Glass for build 14393.  But even then it only almost brings back the functionality we had already achieved on earlier Win 10 releases.  It's not like it's faster, or can make the Taskbar look as good as Win 8.1 and earlier, or is as bug-free, or...

I have had a fair number of queries about my re-tweaker script, which automates the removal of most everything "new and [not] improved" that Microsoft has hung all over the NT kernel lately.

End of an era.

-Noel

Windows is now a moving target with the way they are handling updates. Its expected that there wouldnt be large numbers of tweakers at this point in time.

Crappy bloated os, strongarm upgrade tactics, bugs, nsa spying... i cant figure out why pc sales are down.