Trying Windows XP x64 again

AnX

Despite my use of Windows XP x86 on the PC below, I happen to run into RAM usage issues even with PAE enabled. It seems in most scenarios, XP will act like its run out of memory and some functions stop working. 64 bit has also proven to provide better performance over 32 bit. So the following reasons are why I will once again, try Windows XP x64 edition.

This is basically a log of how usable the OS will be with my software and whatnot. I have done some VM testing. Malwarebytes Premium works without the website scanner. Malwarebytes Anti Exploit works properly, which is good as it helps for security when using "unsupported" OSes. Microsoft's own Security Essentials works and gets the latest definitions. (surprising, isn't it?)

I can hope it all goes well.

Yeppers, I used the MSE x64 build for Vista/7 and that worked with Windows XP x64 Edition.  Don't forget to visit 5eraph's updates site for a cohesive method of downloading updates after April 2014 up to July 2015.  I think he has it integrated into one pack, but failing that, you can use these updates:

http://wp.xin.at/xp-x64-post-mortem-updates

Wonderful, XP x64 just needs a few mods to get a usable OS and it's well structured to use all that power of your rig. As for myself, I had used Server 2003 x64, which is what XP x64 is based on, so they have similar compatibility and performance, as they're both not that based on NT 5.1, which is XP x86. It was running very well, but I needn't mod it, since I had been using it specifically for work stuff and I had another computer for entertainment purposes. Since XP x64 also doesn't support 32 bit software that well (drivers for instance), most malware and exploits shouldn't affect it, as most of them are written on 32 bit, and that OS is so stubborn with 32 bit software in general, but you can get rid of that and mod it, as if you would to a server OS to transform it to a workstation. It needs some modding, but you get awesome performance and stability in the end. ;)

It works fine.  Only issue is some programs that say they are X64 bit don't install or run and there is no fix for that since the developers only want it to run on win 7 and up using API hooks only found there.

• 3 weeks later...

@AnX

Just wondering if you ever tried what I suggested here to fix the media metadata issue?
(Quoted below to keep info together in this thread.)

...XP x64...
Also, a very annoying bug (at least for me) is that you can't get audio files matadata to show in Explorer. See http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9871Please let me know if you fix this, I tried and failed some time ago.

Hmm... I tried the same and i can't get media info either. I assume its a limitation imposed by the server 2003 platform the OS is based on.

Try this. Windows Imaging Component (64-bit)
A little piece of the OS that was left out of x64 for whatever reason. I had to add it to my XP x64 "MediaPC/HTPC" that I built recently. I don't know if it directly addresses the problem you mentioned but I had to add it for something I needed... Ugh I must be getting old lol my memory is fuzzy! :lol: