512MB nVidia Graphics Cards

rloew

256MB vs. 512MB is not important for Video playback. I didn't even see much difference in 3DMARK until I went down to 64MB using a 7950GT.

I have a 6200 PCI Card. It is definitely not adequate for 1080 or even 720 in full screen mode. AGP would be faster.
The 7200GS will play 1080 fine in 9x or XP. In Windows 10, even the 7200 is not enough.

well it seems the pny 7600gs agp universal is one of the fastest cards that was tested working with the unofficial drivers on a 440bx motherboard and possibly might work on the M6TBD motherboard, a user on vogons had mentioned they got one working on another 440bx motherboard. im not sure if he even had to use any patches, but nevertheless, it should be able to work properly with rloew's patch(s) if needed. i would have purchased this card by now to use for later but too expensive for my budget and for applying to a computer, requires selling it a value not really affordable for some costumers, it's being sold new for about $225 on amazon right now, i mean you can at least sell it for like $100 but i suppose they paid a lot for the card themselves, who knows? the only other decent card i found that i mentioned previously was the fx5700le 256 MB agp universal for a little less than $25 new, more worth it generally, but possibly not enough to play warcraft 3 smoothly with a pentium iii coppermine at 1 Ghz and 768 MB system ram. someone on vogons mentioned they still got lag on warcraft 3 when using an amd athlon xp barton at 2.5 Ghz ( which is a LOT faster than a pentium iii coppermine at 1 Ghz ) with 2 GB system ram and voodoo 5 graphics card.

i can see the voodoo 5 bottlenecking a bit if it was maybe the 64 MB version but if it was one of the 128 MB versions as indicated by wikipedia, then i would have less hope of seeing a coppermine 1 Ghz pentium iii doing well with less system ram, even if i were to use a faster gpu with a minimum of 128 MB of allocated video memory, it seems the cpu would still be the limiting factor. the voodoo 5 6000 128 MB may possibly be equivalent to a geforce3 ti 200 in overall performance, which the ti 500 is equivalent to about a ti 4200 and the fx5700le is probably not too far off from all these cards, slightly lower performance than a ti 4200 i think and a geforce 6200 agp is about equivalent to a ti 500 so the only other card probably significantly better would be the fx 5900 but those draw too much power and not practical in my opinion to be used, and of course the previous cards i mentioned, geforce 6800 universal and geforce 7600gs agp which are hard to find in new condition at a decent price. this is the problem with upgrading on 440bx boards with agp 3.3 keyed slots and pci cards are sort of useless because they are limited to 266 MB/s on 440bx boards in the conventional 32 bit pci slots which is only agp 1x speeds and you're taking up pci slot resources when you can simply use a agp card with the same if not slightly better performance for the same money or possibly less.

Edited by cov3rt

6 hours ago, cov3rt said:

...possibly not enough to play warcraft 3 smoothly with a pentium iii coppermine at 1 Ghz and 768 MB system ram. someone on vogons mentioned they still got lag on warcraft 3 when using an amd athlon xp barton at 2.5 Ghz ( which is a LOT faster than a pentium iii coppermine at 1 Ghz ) with 2 GB system ram and voodoo 5 graphics card...

WarCraft III on a Pentium III? :lol:

I've seen lag with this game when running it on a Pentium 4 3.06GHz with 2GB of RAM and using an ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB video card.
Of course I was playing on a highly customized map with lots of enemies, but the point is that it can still lag even with these specs. I wouldn't attempt that particular game on anything less than a P4. Also possibly worth nothing that a while back one of the official Blizzard patches broke the game under 98 for me; I don't know if this was ever fixed or whether it affected others besides myself. Needless to say their support was less than helpful when I reported the issue.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. If you are looking for an AGP card for the earliest versions of the AGP spec (i.e. not AGP 2.0 or 3.0) then I doubt there are many (if any) around that will fall into the 512MB category to begin with.

17 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

WarCraft III on a Pentium III? :lol:

I've seen lag with this game when running it on a Pentium 4 3.06GHz with 2GB of RAM and using an ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB video card.
Of course I was playing on a highly customized map with lots of enemies, but the point is that it can still lag even with these specs. I wouldn't attempt that particular game on anything less than a P4. Also possibly worth nothing that a while back one of the official Blizzard patches broke the game under 98 for me; I don't know if this was ever fixed or whether it affected others besides myself. Needless to say their support was less than helpful when I reported the issue.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. If you are looking for an AGP card for the earliest versions of the AGP spec (i.e. not AGP 2.0 or 3.0) then I doubt there are many (if any) around that will fall into the 512MB category to begin with.

like i said, there was someone who mentioned they got a geforce 7600gs agp universal working on a 440bx, quickly going by the passmark scores on videocardbenchmark.net, 9800xt is slower than a geforce 6800xt and the geforce 7600gs is faster than the geforce 6800xt, and the part of blizzard breaking it for 98, it does seem that it doesn't work properly for quite some time, a problem where exiting the game causes some resource problem or other issue which restarting the computer fixes it, but other than that, it does still work fine when already launched, this was the last time i checked like a year ago or so.

but i did forget to mention a very important thing, there is a big problem which probably has to do with the patch possibly, it seems that you can't manually install warcraft 3 on a 98SE system with the discs, for some reason, only reign of chaos will install but frozen throne throws some errors when trying to install which i haven't found any solutions, something like it can't find an appropriate installation path, also downloading the digital version doesn't work either, it just doesn't save or want to download, the only way to get warcraft 3 working based on my experience with frozen throne on 98SE is to install the game on another 32 bit system like windows 2000 and transfer the entire program folder to the 98SE system and it will work from there, with only that issue i specified earlier, but battle.net will work, you can go play dota or whatever.

i suppose it would just make more sense to wait to get a pentium 4 board with isa slots at a decent price with agp 2.0 or 3.0 support, making upgrade options and usability easier which i have been trying to do but i've had a hard time finding any close to an affordable price for new condition. another option is slightly newer boards that may or may not support core 2 architecture that can possibly come with pci express slots with or without isa slots, but usually the ones that have all of these, core 2 architecture, pci express and isa slots are often a lot more expensive than even the pentium 4 boards that just have isa slots, no core 2 architecture support with or without pci express.

and then there is another option of newer boards, pentium 4 or newer without isa slots with agp 2.0 or pci express and use pci sound cards with reasonable dos support, but this may lure away potential buyers because they really really want or need a system with isa slots and that one missing feature can really scale down the value of the entire computer tremendously so you end up spending all the time, money and effort to build a super duper system that is pretty fast and with good quality components but missing one important feature that can basically make it worthless to the very few that may be interested in buying it. although there are good pci sound cards out there with reasonable dos support like the yamaha pci sound cards, although i haven't found any new ones yet lol, im not sure if it will cut it for most people or enough to get an attraction for sale.

Edited by cov3rt