Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

and you always CAN step away from Google and use another search engine for example but on PC windows has a de facto monopoly and most software is sadly win-only, there is not much choice for that.

That's a very important difference that's often missed by the folks who say (for example) that "Google and Apple vacuum up your private information too, so what's the problem with Microsoft doing it?"

If you don't like the way Google operates, you don't have to get a Google account. (You don't have to get a Microsoft account, but MSFT does make it hard to do without one in Windows 10.) But more importantly, if you don't like Google's business model there's a wide variety of alternative search engines out there that you can use.

As you point out, it's not nearly so easy to run a business (or church or volunteer group, for that matter) without Windows. Not only do you have to learn a whole new operating system, but the software applications you need may not even be available. So there's a case to be made that Microsoft is abusing its dominance of the PC space.

This past week, I was actually fantasizing about winning the Powerball lottery and using the winnings to finance the development of a compatible alternative to Windows. I even mentally budgeted a couple of hundred million to the legal department to fight off the inevitable attacks from Microsoft's sharks.

Unfortunately, the plan didn't go as expected, and will have to be shelved for now.  :)

--JorgeA

would be cheaper to invest in making linux emulator for winblows apps

WINE is not an emulator :) but it does allow running Windows applications on a Linux system.

Regarding running Metro/Modern/Universal Apps...  Why bother?  There's already a web browser.

-Noel

I am impressed with Wine it runs a lot better than it did back when I first started using it. It even has limited support for apps made with Visual Studio its a bit buggy but I did not expect the vb app I made to launch.

ractos is limited to NT 5 kernel

wine as far as i know is s***, hence why i wrote INVEST money in making proper one

and metro... thats not qualified to be called an app :P

for some odd reason I thought that React OS was a plugin for Windows XP  :angel. I have almost got my Linux setup done to ware I like it. Got a few kinks to work out broke the main UI theme somewhere along the way and then I want to get VMware player working, however, the package seems to be broken or missing something.

I was actually fantasizing about winning the Powerball lottery and using the winnings to finance the development of a compatible alternative to Windows. I even mentally budgeted a couple of hundred million to the legal department to fight off the inevitable attacks from Microsoft's sharks.

Unfortunately, the plan didn't go as expected, and will have to be shelved for now.  :)

You too?  We should hang out.  :)

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

OS Build 10586.71

Just when I was starting to think good thoughts about Windows 10, Tuesday occurred.  It took less than 2 days to get Win 10 back up.  The strange thing is that the system stayed up for the update and the restart!!!???  The collapse of the system occurred when I uninstalled Twitter.  The "Stall" stopped the system in its tracks.  Oh well,  maybe it will run until the next "Tuesday."

Much as I dislike Win 10, the latest updates seemed to go in smoothly here.  I'd really start looking hard at the environment in which you're running Win 10, BudwS.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

Besides running this in a VMware virtual machine on a really stable Win 8.1 workstation, I'm doing nothing at all with Apps.  Perhaps the secret to Win 10 stability is to shun everything to do with Apps.  I realize that the choice to use Windows 10 at all becomes pretty much moot with that decision, since it's no better a desktop system than Win 8.1 or 7 - hence my only running it in a VM.

FYI, I downloaded the file list from the KB article...  630 files are listed with a 16-January date (10586.71)!  Note that all those don't go into any one system, but by gosh these are no small updates!

-Noel

I get to hate w10 more and more.

I can hide the Realtek audio driver update as much as I want IT STILL COMES.

and on the next start my ears get blasted.

when will they understand that I dont want the "downgraded" driver?

Edited by My1

I suspect that if you were to set your system up so that Windows Updates are only applied when you initiate the activity, then Hide the update EACH TIME, it would not be loaded by Windows Update.  But that's just a guess, as I have not had to deal with the issue.  Have you already tried that?  How have you got Windows Updates set up to install?

I always review the first panel above BEFORE initiating an actual Windows Update, then read online about whether the updates are causing others problems.

Such problems (with driver updates causing problems) certainly seem like a good reason for taking control over when Windows Updates are allowed to download and whether certain updates need to be hidden, but if in the end the Hide Updates tool does not actually work (or is just unmanageable) that makes everything moot and makes the whole process of updating unacceptable.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Much as I dislike Win 10, the latest updates seemed to go in smoothly here.  I'd really start looking hard at the environment in which you're running Win 10, BudwS.

~~~~~~~

FYI, I downloaded the file list from the KB article...  630 files are listed with a 16-January date (10586.71)!  Note that all those don't go into any one system, but by gosh these are no small updates!

-Noel

Thanks again for another view of Win 10.  I've come to understand that Win 10 works OK on a new PC.  You're probably right on about the environment that my PC presents.  The external environment may present an issue to Win 10 as well.  It may not like to run in the shed.  For now Win 10 10586.71 is running.

I decided to build a second Win 10 system on the VM VirtualBox.  One system will run released Win 10 and the new one will run insider Win 10.  Just a little more excitement with the Win 10 learning curve as well as the VirtualBox learning curve.  That will make 4 operating systems running on the PC.

Bud

• 2 weeks later...

I have read through a lot of this thread and found some interesting and useful stuff in here. I agree with NoelC Win10 should only be run on a test box or VM  because it is a bit difficult to control privacy wise. Out in user land I have had maybe 10 requests to get rid of an unwanted update from Windows 7 to windows 10 and restore 7 (never same request from Win8 users - funny that!). Most seem to get on OK and unlike teccies are totally unbothered by privacy issues, ignorance is bliss, they don't care as long as it works. And I think this is the bottom line - normal users do not seem to care about how it works and how much personal info it uploads any more than they care about facebook privacy issues. I think I (like a lot of you guys) am over paranoid about Win10 but I can live with being overcautions cos I am not in a state of ignorant bliss. So perhaps there is a happy medium to be struck somewhere but Win10 is not it as is.

Meanwhile I use Windows for gaming these days, most of my computing is done on Macs or old win7 machines, the only windows 10 I have is a big gaming box and a VM fast track upgrade I have had since the insider program launched. Overall I am quite impressed with Win10, once all the useless apps are removed and the start menu is fixed it is OK, it just takes days to set up and tbo I am tired of having to gut Windows machines just to get a useable system free of Mickey Mouse rubbish and crapware every single time I install, one or more often unbox an OEM machine and boot it up for a customer. Now the crapware comes as standard - terrific!

Anyway some great tips on here, I am specially grateful for the "lose Cortana" thread.

Cheers