Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Perhaps you misinterpreted my comment - *I'M* not going to act in an untrustworthy way.  I think trust is important. 

I was speaking hypothetically as an employee of Microsoft Might think.  They have clearly has gotten over a "threshold" and have redefined "the new normal".  Now the "malware-like behavior" is spreading.

As if things needed to get worse.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm personally investing more of my time and energy and cash into "survival gear".

I'm amassing knives, hand-crank flashlights, magnesium fire starters, emergency parts and supplies for my car, water filtration, maybe some rain barrels, weapons, etc.

I mean, just look around, the fabric of society is crumbling before our very eyes.

As a friend of mine puts it: "Buy gold, guns, and ammunition!"

--JorgeA

If everything is controlled by a central cloud, it means that, it's just a quicker way for them to knock everything out, then they can swoop in and declare martial law. That was easy. See, it's all part of their master plan. So, in conclusion, the cloud is just a way for them to hurry up and get closer to declaring martial law :-)

I'm not sure if it's actually part of a master plan, but for sure having a central cloud would make it easier to scr*w up almost everyone's life at the same time for maximum impact. I tend to believe it's more of an, umm, "emerging opportunity" than something that was foreseen and planned for.

--JorgeA

Just to brighten up the mood, here's something to cheer about:

How to restore features Microsoft removed from Windows 10

If you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 and have been disappointed to discover one or more of your favorite features have been removed, the good news is it should be possible to restore the missing functionality without too much effort.

What you need is the Missed Features Installer (MFI) for Windows 10. This is a 1.3GB ISO file which includes a ton of third-party programs, such as Classic Shell, Gadgets 2.0, This PC Tweaker, and the Windows Experience Index Tool. It also includes programs pulled from past versions of Windows.

This is tempting me to boot up my Win10 test partition for the first time in weeks, to see if it works and how well.

Depending on how it's implemented, a tool like this one could be an immense help for the bulk of Windows users who are not highly technically savvy.

--JorgeA

I never want to fully rely on "the cloud" I have seen a few services come and go like a switch got flipped. I have only been burnt once and ever since then I have always maintained several copies of my important files on multiple media formats. Thank god for flash drives growing up I had a boat load of floppy disks and cd-rs floating around my computer none of them properly labeled however I digress from my original point. Now I limbit my use of cloud services amazon video, skydrive (nonessential file just useful) and google music just for a complete backup of my music collection.

I never want to fully rely on "the cloud" I have seen a few services come and go like a switch got flipped. I have only been burnt once and ever since then I have always maintained several copies of my important files on multiple media formats. 

Yup, totally agree. If it's in the cloud, it's out of your possession and beyond your control. When you keep your stuff locally, if you lose it it'll be because you have much bigger things to worry about (such as your house burning down).

I would only use cloud storage as a secondary backup (backup to a backup), and even then only after encrypting what I put up there.

--JorgeA

Another article with more details on Microsoft's new policy not to support Windows 7 on Skylake processors:

Microsoft: Skylake owners must upgrade to Windows 10 within 18 months, future CPUs will require it

Note the following passage:

If, for example, Intel and AMD don’t release Windows 7 / 8.1-compatible video drivers for their next-generation SoCs, users who buy those parts wouldn’t be able to use them with older operating systems. Now, extend that idea to USB 3.1 support, advanced power management, or any multi-threading changes that either company might introduce that required support from Microsoft. (Both Intel’s Hyper-Threading and AMD’s multi-threading approach with Bulldozer required service packs and patches in order to function at peak effectiveness.)

[emphasis added]

The part in boldface suggests to me that, in addition to the ongoing campaign to shanghai users into Windows 10, another reason for the policy change is sheer cheapness: they no longer want to expend resources on creating patches to help previous OSes work with newer processors. The computing public will keep paying for Windows in one fashion or another but will, in effect, receive diminished service for what they give Microsoft. "Windows as a service," indeed. :angry:

A separate questrion: users presumably will still be able to install Linux on these systems freely?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Don't be too sure.  Look up what's possible with UEFI BIOS, TPM, and Secure Boot. 

I have very little specific knowledge in this area, but it seems to me I've read that an OS vendor could download firmware that could block other operating systems from being run.  Jaclaz posted some info on that in this forum at one point, and I recall that at the time it made me glad I don't have (or enable) that technology in my systems.

-Noel

nothing new from M$

they always forced their crap onto people

Well, if you believe that you shouldn't be surprised that in order to have a secureboot shim signed/certified you need Silverlight :w00t: (among another number of "queer" requisites), JFYI and for a quick laugh (actually should make people weep :():

https://en.altlinux.org/UEFI_SecureBoot_mini-HOWTO

https://en.altlinux.org/UEFI_SecureBoot_mini-HOWTO#Getting_your_shim_signed

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20303.html?thread=783183#cmt783183

Maybe things have changed in the meantime, but that wasn't anyway a particularly good start ... 

jaclaz

Apparently, this wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft has bullied hardware manufacturers. Check this out:

Manufacturers put a recovery partition on the hard drive for use when a Windows Installation fails.

They found that many users lost the disks and then expected the manufacturer to procure a recovery disk set years after the model had been discontinued. It was a system that wasn't working very well.

OEMs only done this because Microsoft forced them to. Dell were quite happy sending out Windows Reinstallation DVDs with all their systems and Dell customers were quite happy that they could readily clean install with this media. They were then not allowed to include the Reinstallation DVD with the system. To market it as an improvement they stated it was green policies not to send out discs with the system. However still send out a Dell Drivers DVD for some time which of course was useless without the OS Reinstallation DVD. There are far more customers complaining that they did not get proper installation media with their system than customers complaining they got too many discs and that it wasn't "green" especially on the home consumer market.

A UK PC chain company who tried to help their customers got sued by Microsoft so it is Microsoft who are making life difficult and not the OEMs[...]

--JorgeA

Apparently, this wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft has bullied hardware manufacturers. Check this out:

Manufacturers put a recovery partition on the hard drive for use when a Windows Installation fails.

They found that many users lost the disks and then expected the manufacturer to procure a recovery disk set years after the model had been discontinued. It was a system that wasn't working very well.

OEMs only done this because Microsoft forced them to. Dell were quite happy sending out Windows Reinstallation DVDs with all their systems and Dell customers were quite happy that they could readily clean install with this media. They were then not allowed to include the Reinstallation DVD with the system. To market it as an improvement they stated it was green policies not to send out discs with the system. However still send out a Dell Drivers DVD for some time which of course was useless without the OS Reinstallation DVD. There are far more customers complaining that they did not get proper installation media with their system than customers complaining they got too many discs and that it wasn't "green" especially on the home consumer market.

A UK PC chain company who tried to help their customers got sued by Microsoft so it is Microsoft who are making life difficult and not the OEMs[...]

--JorgeA

Really? That explains a lot. I thought the sudden disappearance of reinstall CDs after XP was just the OEMs being cheap.

nothing new from M$

they always forced their crap onto people

Well, if you believe that you shouldn't be surprised that in order to have a secureboot shim signed/certified you need Silverlight :w00t: (among another number of "queer" requisites),

allow me to say: WHAT THE f*** ????

well they are digging their own grave, I don't care

win7 is my last NT OS, I will have, later I will probably force myself to learn s***ty linux

but better "s***ty" than "total dog s***"

too bad Snow Leopard wasn't made for PC's

Edited by vinifera