Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

For what it's worth, here's the result of an online poll on Windows 10:

attachicon.gifWin10 poll.jpg

What makes this result more interesting is that the website's owner is a big-time Microsoft cheerleader and Win10 apologist, so you would think his audience would skew in that direction.

Interestingly, his polls for "Will you upgrade to Windows 10" had a high affirmation level.  I guess those people "upgraded" and then found out what a mess Windows 10 is!  Thank you for sharing—I got my vote in too.  :yes:

Easy link for anyone else who wants to do the same: http://www.windowsobserver.com/2016/01/04/observed-tech-podcast-episode-185-otp/

Edited by Techie007

Slightly OT and nothing really to worry about, still ... :dubbio:

http://hexatomium.github.io/2015/08/29/why-is-windows/

Microsoft silenty adds Amazon root certificates to its CTL21 Jan 2016

Microsoft has just pushed a new CTL update with 6 new root certificates, 4 of which are for a brand new root CA: Amazon. This conveniently occurs just in time for Amazon's Certificate Services go-live. But what should have been a fairly ordinary update is raising a few red flags.

jaclaz

Edit:  Okay, with a tall, narrow window the Windows poll actually IS visible - it's wayyyyyy down at the bottom, under the comments.  Now ask yourself:  Do you ever scroll down and look BELOW the comments on a blog page?

No, of course not -- it doesn't make any sense!! That's where many of the ads and the links to uninteresting "related" stories are located.  :)

--JorgeA

For what it's worth, here's the result of an online poll on Windows 10:

attachicon.gifWin10 poll.jpg

What makes this result more interesting is that the website's owner is a big-time Microsoft cheerleader and Win10 apologist, so you would think his audience would skew in that direction.

Interestingly, his polls for "Will you upgrade to Windows 10" had a high affirmation level.  I guess those people "upgraded" and then found out what a mess Windows 10 is!  Thank you for sharing—I got my vote in too.  :yes:

Easy link for anyone else who wants to do the same: http://www.windowsobserver.com/2016/01/04/observed-tech-podcast-episode-185-otp/

Since the day NoelC posted his screenshot, the No vote count has gone up by a further 14 while the Yes votes are up by 2. Wonder if MSFN members had anything to do with that. ;)

And no, despite my philosophy professor's long-ago advice to "Vote early and often," I haven't voted again in that poll.  :)

--JorgeA

When I installed Winsows 10 just lately I noticed that when it installs updates that it slows my computer down and uses 30% to 70% of my processor.

I'll have to check the CPU meter next time there's a big update to see how big the performance hit is, but I too have noticed that my Win10 system gets sluggish when installing updates.

--JorgeA

You will upgrade to Windows 10: Inside Microsoft's strong-arm upgrade tactics

Microsoft has a lot riding on Windows 10, and it makes sense that the company wants to spread it as far and wide as possible. But in an era where Macs are a lone bright spot in the PC industry, iOS sales overtook Windows sales for the first time ever, and Linux-based Steam Machines are mounting a serious threat to one of the PC’s remaining bastions—gaming—Microsoft might want to stop shaking an iron fist at happy Windows 7 and 8 users. By abandoning legacy support for software and hardware and all but shoving the operating system down peoples’ throats, Microsoft runs the risk of angering its loyal user base, as well as tossing Windows’ hard-earned reputation for consistency in the garbage.

--JorgeA

For today's "who said this", try guessing who said:

You can’t just talk about trust, Microsoft. You have to establish and keep trust. And silence will not achieve that.

Yes :yes: it's our friend Paul Thurrot :w00t: that while being (as often happens) completely wrong about the issue, the reason why and how it should be managed, has by pure chance stated something true and on which we can agree upon:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/64095/welcome-to-surfacegate

jaclaz

Yikes, that's exactly who I was thiking of as I read the text before the spoiler!

And yes, sometimes, even Paul T. will stumble on the truth.  :)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Microsoft's strategy to take over the mobile world, in action:

Developer: Windows Store is a disaster

One of the features that an app store must absolutely get right is search. Users have to be able to find what they are looking for and discover titles that meet their needs. At the same time, developers who spend time creating apps need to have their titles easily available to potential customers. If one, or both, of these requirements is not met, that creates a serious problem.

Windows Store is in this exact situation, according to multiple developer reports. Microsoft has been unable, or, worse, unwilling, to make the search functionality as useful as users and developers might like, at a time when Windows Store is already being penalized by its pitiful selection of top-tier and quality apps.

[...]

...You cannot find my apps anywhere in the app store. Unless you know the exact name of my app, you won't find it. You can type any of the keywords my apps have in their title, description or even in the list of keywords submitted to the store, and it won't list my apps. Instead, the app store will simply list 2 or 3 other, useless apps.

Sometimes you have to wonder if they're wrecking things on purpose for some mysterious reason. It's hard to believe that they are that incompetent.

--JorgeA

Since the day NoelC posted his screenshot, the No vote count has gone up by a further 14 while the Yes votes are up by 2. Wonder if MSFN members had anything to do with that. ;)

And no, despite my philosophy professor's long-ago advice to "Vote early and often," I haven't voted again in that poll.  :)

I shared that article with the Windows 10 Epic Fail crowd too.  I'm sure they knew what to do!  :D  Regarding multiple votes, it looks like they check IP address.  I was unable to vote again (I know, naughty naughty!).  :blushing:

You will upgrade to Windows 10: Inside Microsoft's strong-arm upgrade tactics

Microsoft has a lot riding on Windows 10, and it makes sense that the company wants to spread it as far and wide as possible. But in an era where Macs are a lone bright spot in the PC industry, iOS sales overtook Windows sales for the first time ever, and Linux-based Steam Machines are mounting a serious threat to one of the PC’s remaining bastions—gaming—Microsoft might want to stop shaking an iron fist at happy Windows 7 and 8 users. By abandoning legacy support for software and hardware and all but shoving the operating system down peoples’ throats, Microsoft runs the risk of angering its loyal user base, as well as tossing Windows’ hard-earned reputation for consistency in the garbage.

--JorgeA

:thumbup

After using W10 in a real world situation I want no parts of that especially with an older computer. The computer I worked on came out with W7 and ran fine up until the upgrade (it was a bit sluggish but there was a lot of junk and it looked like no one ever attempted to clean the system ever, but that is to be expected) The first thing I had issues with was if you clicked anything on the task bar everything froze up and would not respond also at that point shortcut keys no longer seemed to be working. Then the response time was bad with explorer the window would popup and for lack of a better description lag for a good bit.