Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Not particularly on-topic (and not even particularly "reliable" or "confirmed" :unsure:) but a very good reason nonetheless to have NOT *someone else* have your data:

http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2016/01/04/dell-computers-has-been-hacked/

A quote:

Scammers pretending to be from Dell computers phoned me in November

Defendants peddle their technical support services and charge consumers up to thousands of dollars.

Beyond the obvious red flag that NO ONE IN THE WORLD is ever going to call you to help you without your first BEGGING them to (and escalating two or three times)...

This is a good reason to know your system inside and out, and just maintain it so it is running perfectly.  Then you know anyone calling you and telling you they've detected a problem is full of s***.  :yes:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here on MSFN.

-Noel

Beyond the obvious red flag that NO ONE IN THE WORLD is ever going to call you to help you without your first BEGGING them to (and escalating two or three times)...

But Noel, this shows that Dell (or Microsoft, or...) has such good service that they'll reach out to help you, even before you know you need them!!  :angel

The serious (and sad) part of this, is that as Microsoft takes increasing control of people's computers, scams like these will only gain in plausibility:

"As you may know, the new and improved Windows 10 sends Microsoft regular updates on your PC's health. We've been monitoring your PC remotely, and our telemetry shows that you have 352 registry errors and 27 viruses that need to be cleaned up."

Ironically then, users need to become even more knowledgeable and alert just as Microsoft is fostering user cretinism by decreasing our control over our own systems and pushing simpleton Universal apps.

--JorgeA

The comment:

I'm wondering how (if at all) this relates to the POSReady hack that makes it possible to continue getting updates for XP until 2019.  :unsure:  Sounds like it's still better to go that route, since you'll receive updates for an extra 3 years (2016-2019).

Yes, it's related... but if one has the POSReady hack but no IE8, havin IE6SP3 instead, the last update for IE6SP3 comes next week. All others continue until 2019 (exept for IE7, which also stops further on, this year).

The question:

Is it possible to download IE7 updates for this Windows Embedded, and then install them in XP or in Vista?

Absolutely!  :w00t:  From the MS Update Catalog, as always! Don't know whether they'd install on Vista if unmodified, though...   :dubbio:

Thanks dencorso, this is good to know.

I have one lightly used Vista system that I've kept on IE7 simply because I like the "look" of IE7, and I like to launch it every so often just to enjoy good design. IMHO Internet Explorer's UI got increasingly plain and dull with each new version after 7. So I was hoping that it might be possible to keep IE7 patched for longer this way, even if only for a couple more months.

--JorgeA

And speaking of Microsoft taking an increasing interest in people's computers, check this out:

Why is Microsoft monitoring how long you use Windows 10?

The various privacy concerns surrounding Windows 10 have received a lot of coverage in the media, but it seems that there are ever more secrets coming to light. The Threshold 2 Update did nothing to curtail privacy invasion, and the latest Windows 10 installation figures show that Microsoft is also monitoring how long people are using the operating system.

This might seem like a slightly strange statistic for Microsoft to keep track of, but the company knows how long, collectively, Windows 10 has been running on computers around the world. To have reached this figure (11 billion hours in December, apparently) Microsoft must have been logging individuals' usage times. Intrigued, we contacted Microsoft to find out what on earth is going on.

245 comments on this story had already been posted on Betanews.com when I clicked on it.

--JorgeA

I subscribe to this epic comment:

"I will save them the trouble. Total number of hours using Windows 10 in the last 3 months: ZERO!"

+1 :yes:

I and WPI have taken a stance that windows 10 is a off limits OS for me. WPI will not officially have windows ten support. If people send me mods for WPI and ten I'll ad them but since I will never use ten even in a vm I can not officially support it.

Mainstream support ended on 13 Jan 2015 (in 8 days that'll be one year ago), but extended support ends only on 14 Jan 2020 !!! :yes:

wow how time flies by ....

so I guess with this extended support it means they will put any junk in so called updates that they want

what a shame, win7 definitely deserved SP2 if not 3

I subscribe to this epic comment:

"I will save them the trouble. Total number of hours using Windows 10 in the last 3 months: ZERO!"

Which in my case becomes: Total number of hours ever using Windows 10 in the last 3 months: ZERO!

;)

@JorgeA

If you are willing to translate this sentence for me in plain English:

... is shifting to an operational focus and creating a security graph to help address the alarming new threat landscape and the rise of cloud computing.

as a bonus I will give you (in the spoiler) a link to the source ;)

https://redmondmag.com/Articles/2016/01/01/A-New-Security-Approach.aspx?Page=1

and no, it is less Off Topic than it seems ...

jaclaz

I'm almost ashamed that my running of Win 10 in a purely test environment has contributed to Microsoft's supposed "success" in adoption.  It is somewhat irresponsible not to know your enemy, however, so I'm glad to have the first-hand knowledge.

Interestingly, my Win 10 setup is in a virtual machine that's licensed and activated only because it graduated from being the VM onto which the very first Win 10 preview was installed.  And it still seems to be running fine, even though Gabe Aul promised the activation of such machines would expire, because we HAVE to have upgraded a valid Win 7/8 license to continue to use Win 10.  Reimagine that.

Nothing - NOT A STINKING THING - Microsoft says or does any more is to be trusted.

-Noel

... is shifting to an operational focus and creating a security graph to help address the alarming new threat landscape and the rise of cloud computing.

Already done, by Scott Adams...

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@JorgeA

as a bonus I will give you (in the spoiler) a link to the source ;)

https://redmondmag.com/Articles/2016/01/01/A-New-Security-Approach.aspx?Page=1

and no, it is less Off Topic than it seems ...

jaclaz

OMG, how I hate this impenetrable bureaucratic-speak. :thumbdown

If you parse the sentence, you could make the argument that

creating a security graph to help address the rise of cloud computing

is one of the thoughts contained in that abstruse sentence.  ;)  Well, I can think of one not-too-difficult way to address the rise of cloud computing:

DON'T DO IT!!!

That wouldn't require creating a new graph. It wouldn't even require a boatload of new spending -- on the contrary, they could reassign the techs servicing the cloud servers to the OS testing department and the technical-writing department, where they could start properly testing Windows Updates before they're released and writing detailed descriptions of what the updates are intended to do, as Microsoft used to.

--JorgeA

Interestingly, my Win 10 setup is in a virtual machine that's licensed and activated only because it graduated from being the VM onto which the very first Win 10 preview was installed.  And it still seems to be running fine, even though Gabe Aul promised the activation of such machines would expire, because we HAVE to have upgraded a valid Win 7/8 license to continue to use Win 10.  Reimagine that.

IIRC, the way it's said to work is that if you're in the Insiders program, then you remain activated so long as you keep accepting (i.e., do not disable) new updates and builds; but if you drop out, then your copy does eventually expire and you'll need to buy a license to keep using Win10.

--JorgeA