Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I'm all for privacy, but if you send it in an eMail it's not private.  Anyone who thinks it is is just naïve.

U.S. Company, U.S. Laws works for me.  Shut 'em down in the U.S. if they won't comply.  Send some execs to prison for contempt of court.  Or maybe just contempt of humanity.

-Noel

Thing is, EVERYTHING in terms of communications eventually lands in the US. I'm far away in eastern Europe and still looking at the small flag in browser's address bar (courtesy of the FlagFox add-on for Firefox) all the e-mail providers, blogs, news sites show up as physically being located in the US, despite of the domain names. This is one of the biggest Internet scams, in my opinion. Moreover, domain redirections add to the confusion. For example, I open a link to somebody.blogspot.com found on a page and my browser automatically goes to somebody.blogspot.ro (since I'm living in Romania and they automatically detect my IP). However, the flag is still 'stars and stripes', meaning the actual server hosting the respective blog resides in the US. This is a MAJOR issue with everyone thinking they can express themselves freely according to LOCAL laws. And of course only few people know about FlagFox and its importance.

Yesterday was patchday. Microsoft has yet again released new spyware for Windows 7.

Suspicious are KB3075249, KB3080149 and KB3083324 (telemetry, new Windows Update client)

They were “optional” last month but got elevated to important.

awww this is so cute

good thing my last update is without all that crap

and my ISO will be too :P

Will Windows 10's coming security features win over Windows 7 users?

The commenters are decidedly underwhelmed:

No, I don't care how sparkly they make it. The fundamental flaws starting with forced and not described updates killed it. The privacy nightmare is just flogging a dead horse.

I've decided to stick to Windows 7 and meanwhile money that would have gone to a new PC is now going to a new Mac. I will have both in use for a while until I fully transition to the Mac environment.

I waited for a new OS for a new machine and all we got was MS scorn in the form of Win 8 and Win 10. MS' time is at an end.

Given the trend in the last few Windows releases, Win10 will probably become the most insecure Windows in wide release in very short order.

I decided to install Windows 10. It invalidated licenses I had with other programs and required lengthy phone calls to Alias and Adobe. It deactivated licenses to GTA 4 & 5, Rosetta Stone, and a few other games I had. Formatting back to Windows 7 was the easiest thing I ever did. Microsoft wants to install spyware it can do it to your computer, but not mine.

No WAY Win 10 FAIL on all counts.......

1) the UI for NON touch systems CRA#

2) Updates NO WAY we would be waiting for a MS update to BRICK our systems

3) Cloud our data or ours and is NOT stored on Cloud.

There is NO way our WIN7 business/personal systems all NON Touch will ever move to WIN10

If Microsoft woulds give us back the OPTION for the "WIN7/XP Classic Start/Menu UI" as it was in Win 7 may consider.

If Linux Flavours can give us the SKIN UI of our choice then why NOT MS sorry WIN10 FAIL

Based on the number of non-stop patches and daily reboots for my Windows 10 systems, their sloppy coding is just as much of a security risk today as it was the day Windows 7 came out.

While I initially liked Windows 10, the daily reboots got to be a royal PITA and I went back to Windows 8.1.

Thanks but no thanks. I won't upgrade to Windows 10 at any price, not even free.

And considering that some of the Windows 10 defaults exposed your machines to external users and captured everything you typed, spoke or did and sent it to Microsoft in great detail, I can't remotely see how they can claim Windows 10 is more secure.

DOS appears to be a lot safer.

I wonder if the NSA is funding the so called "free upgrades"? They sure appear to stand to benefit from them.

Etc., etc.

--JorgeA

EDIT: When I read that blog post, there were 30 comments on it. Not a single one was pro-Win10.

Edited by JorgeA

I'm all for privacy, but if you send it in an eMail it's not private.  Anyone who thinks it is is just naïve.

U.S. Company, U.S. Laws works for me.  Shut 'em down in the U.S. if they won't comply.  Send some execs to prison for contempt of court.  Or maybe just contempt of humanity.

I am naive, then :unsure:, as there is very little that should be as private as correspondence.

And e-mail is a modern form of correspondence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrecy_of_correspondence

What the good MS guys are trying to do however is not connected with liberty or freedom or privacy but rather with the simple fact that the day they loose on that case (that specifically is related to illegal drug dealings so t could be seen as a "good thing" overall) they (not only MS, also any other US established firm) will also probably loose customers en masse.

jaclaz

Anything you send outside your LAN is subject to being used and abused.  Keep that in mind, worry about everything you emit, and you won't be surprised.  Don't send what you don't want others to read.

Now it's become even necessary to worry about what your computer sends - on its own.

Even folks who know these things realize that to participate in the modern world one occasionally needs to expose data one would not want widely known.  It's called risk and occasionally it IS going to burn you.  Most certainly it is going to cost you.

I read somewhere this morning that "being online is a fools game".  Couldn't have said it better myself.

-Noel

Windows 10 faces opposition because of all the phone home functions included. What is Microsoft doing?

Get the same phone-home to Windows 7 and 8!

Last week came the warning, now comes the roll out. One of the most most controversial aspects of Windows 10 is coming to Windows 7 and 8. Microsoft has released upgrades which enable the company to track what a user is doing. The updates – KB3075249, KB3080149 and KB3068708 – all add "customer experience and diagnostic telemetry" to the older versions. gHacks points out that the updates will ignore any previous user preferences reporting: "These four updates ignore existing user preferences stored in Windows 7 and Windows 8 (including any edits made to the Hosts file) and immediately starts exchanging user data with vortex-win.data.microsoft.com and settings-win.data.microsoft.com."
Windows 10 had some controversy because it came without the safedisc driver, this crippled lots of older games:

What's Microsoft's response?

Microsoft killed safedisc on Windows 7 and 8 through Windows Update last patchday!

After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.
LOL, come on! That driver is since ages on Windows 7 and 8, and they noticed it might cause trouble only two days ago, just when the removal of it on W10 caused some controversy?! I just don't buy it that this is about security given the timing.

Instead of fixing issues on W10 they cripple their working Windows systems to expand these W10 problems onto them as well. Quite an approach.

Windows Update is turning into a real liability.

Windows 10 faces opposition because of all the phone home functions included. What is Microsoft doing?

Get the same phone-home to Windows 7 and 8!

I can confirm that WIndows 7 now contacts different servers after this latest update to Windows Update.  I'm sure Microsoft would say that it'll do a Windows Update more quickly now as a result.

But Win 7 hasn't gotten observably more chatty while just sitting there.  Of course, that's a pretty meaningless observation without watching it for weeks.

-Noel

Edit:  I never let that telemetry stuff install itself.

Edited by NoelC

Windows Update is turning into a real liability.

I can't recall where I was first told I wear a "tin foil hat" for predicting it would come to a time where we have to stop updates.  It was the better part of a year ago I think.  I was most recently told that I wear such a hat yesterday by one of those "Metrotards" you identified over on Channel 9.  LOL

-Noel

I was most recently told that I wear such a hat yesterday by one of those "Metrotards" you identified over on Channel 9.  LOL

-Noel

Bondsie, right?

That guy is a tard's tard. They had some respectable metrotards (measured by staying power and rhetoric, not arguments) on C9 but they gave up. Now bondsie is pretty much the only one touting the party-line with conviction.

This just means M$ heads had well settled operation plan with tactical fallback included. Have had wanted to make money on 'tards gettng Win 10 and selling the info for advertising services, and while not working just have moved back to previously planned positions attacked the privacy of 7/8/8.1 users. People won't notice. People may care about 10, because it's new, flashy and get a lot of attention (as anything new does), but who really cares about what updates contain? Ya'll? You're IT pros/enthusiast, less than 1% of society... And when win10 is "the last system", people will adopt it, just after they they got used to being spied by their previous systems.

Clever from a business point of view. I still don't like the idea.

That guy is a tard's tard.

Yeah.  I figure such folks either have some agenda or psychological problems with recognizing what really is vs. what they perceive.  Logic cannot come between a person and his/her own perceptions.  Perception is reality, right?  Some folks really can be so suggestible that they actually believe they like something just because they were told to.  I know this from personal experience.

@Mcinwwl - Kudos.  I couldn't have summed it up better.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Now this is just plain crossing the line.

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.

He told us: "The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

Is KB3035583 behind this?