Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

I can confirm this behavior.

Posted this on C9, let's see what they have to say about that.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/The-glorious-1984-OS-marches-on

I got a "Page not found" error when I clicked on that link.

Did they delete your thread? Now, that would really fit your "1984" theme.

I guess that's what "they have to say" about that.

--JorgeA

Now this is just plain crossing the line.

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.

He told us: "The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

Is KB3035583 behind this?

If this is happening, it's Class Action Suit City.

Think of the hundreds of millions of people out there who have no interest in Windows 10 and have made no provision to make the switchover, suddenly finding out that they have to reinstall their applications and reconstruct those applications' settings because Microsoft overrode their preferences and installed Win10 anyway. Whoa, I'd like to be the lead lawyer on that one.

--JorgeA

Amazing that Google had already cached it!!

I'm glad you found it to preserve for posterity.

On to reading it now...

--JorgeA

If this is happening, it's Class Action Suit City.

Think of the hundreds of millions of people out there who have no interest in Windows 10 and have made no provision to make the switchover, suddenly finding out that they have to reinstall their applications and reconstruct those applications' settings because Microsoft overrode their preferences and installed Win10 anyway. Whoa, I'd like to be the lead lawyer on that one.

--JorgeA

It's downloading W10 automatically, but not automatically installing it.

Still, it takes bandwidth and drive space. Especially on small SSDs quite annoying.

Woud that (taking so much useless space) legally count as computer sabotage?

Still, it takes bandwidth and drive space. Especially on small SSDs quite annoying.

IIRC they're reporting getting notifications that Win10 (tried and) failed to install?

Interesting point about clogging up your drive maybe counting as computer sabotage. Hmm... it could certainly be construed as trespass, like in the case of a  neighbor entering your property to dump trash on it.

Here's a clever rhyme from the comments to that Inquirer post:

We thought with the departure of crazy Balmer, things might have been calmer.

:lol:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

IIRC they're reporting getting notifications that Win10 (tried and) failed to install?

Note sure about this, because I didn't let the malware updates install on my private PC and so have never seen the W10 nag-screen in action.

On Active-Directory powered PCs, when you let the malware pass through WU, there are no W10 notifications, but the stuff (six gigs) gets downloaded regardless (and does nothing). I have seen it today.

Very hard-hitting indeed, nicely done.

It's outrageous but not surprising that they removed it. :angrym:

--JorgeA

Very hard-hitting indeed, nicely done.

It's outrageous but not surprising that they removed it.  :angrym:

--JorgeA

I've reposted it. Seems to stay longer this time. (https://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse)

Edited by Formfiller

Just look at the excuses these bootlickers come up with to defend Microsoft's insanity at all costs:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/The-glorious-telescreen-OS-marches-on-as-does-censorship

Blergh. I am actually truly disgusted by them now. If they would live in a dictatorship, they would be dictator's darling. I am 100% certain of it. Such a servile mentality. Repulsing.

Edited by Formfiller

No, I don't think so.  The other day to my great surprise, on my Win 7 system here I found GWX trying to contact the mothership.  I'm assuming if it hadn't been blocked by my firewall it would have downloaded the Win 10 software as well.

Thing is, I had hidden all these:

KB2952664

KB3021917

KB3035583

KB3068708

KB3075249

KB3080149

Based on the date of the GWX folder under C:\Windows\System32, it was in an update that was applied before late April 2015, and of course none of the above..

Check your system for the folder:  C:\Windows\System32\GWX

-Noel