Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

And here's an even more disturbing one:

With Windows 10, Microsoft could move to a subscription-based model

Microsoft has indicated that Windows 10, which will be released next year, could move towards a subscription-based model. Instead of going the usual route and buying a perpetual Windows 10 license for $50 to $200, you would instead pay a few dollars per month — and then, as with most subscriptions, you’d get free upgrades when major new versions of Windows come along. Another option might be that you get a basic version of Windows 10 for free, but a subscription would unlock more advanced features — this is the scheme that Microsoft currently uses with its Office for iOS apps.

While I don't think that the evidence in the article indicates that Microsoft does currently intend to do this, the hypothesis is plausible. Despite repeated denials by MS beat reporters such as Mary Jo Foley, the idea that Windows will become a subscription service refuses to die -- and at this point, I wouldn't put anything past the Microsoft decision-makers.

--JorgeA

Now for an interesting critique of Cortana, one of the much-anticipated additions to Windows 10:

Windows 10 Build 9888 includes Cortana -- but so bloody what?

If you're sitting in a coffee shop or library, if you're walking down the street, if you're sitting on a park bench, do you feel comfortable using voice activation to set reminders and so on? "Remind me to call the doctor about that weird-looking rash in the morning!" Cue lots of strange looks. Potential embarrassment aside, we live in an age when we're all more concerned about privacy than ever. Why on earth would you want to bellow your schedule, your text messages and emails, or your search queries into your phone for all to hear? It's madness.

Read the whole thing, he makes other excellent points and some funny ones.

Of course, like people who wear Bluetooth earpieces and don't mind being looked at like escaped loony-bin inmates, Because Actually They Are Such Important People -- Cortana would lend itself to a lot of mischievous uses (good-natured and otherwise). Imagine some guy on the train "reminding" himself to "call" Cindy at 6, Lucia at 8, Amanda at 10, and Ivy at 10:15 -- just to give off a certain public impression of himself. The possibilities are endless.

--JorgeA

Adobe is making good profits with their Creative Cloud model.

♪♪  It's raining money  ♪♪

6037204.jpg

-Noel

Cool graphic there.  :)

Yeah, there's plenty of folks out there who, for whatever reason, will be OK with their vendors reaching into their pockets every month.

--JorgeA

No, unfortunately they're still around. The battle is centered now in the Microsoft Win10TP forums, where @NoelC has been doing yeoman work. :thumbup

It's depressing to think that some people seem to be simply incapable of understanding the concept of choice. But that's the conclusion I'm being led to by the discussion over there.

--JorgeA

Regarding what you so aptly call "metrotards", Formfiller:

Some people haven't a clue what they want and just join what they think is the winning team.  The phrase that seems most applicable is "drinking the kool-aid".

Others want things their way, and if they happen to find the latest thing that Microsoft does to their liking, they become evangelists for it, because they would rather have an advantage over others who don't like whatever it is.

The lion's share of people - even those who claim to be experts - haven't got any business commenting about how an operating system ought to be designed.  They've never done it, and wouldn't have the slightest clue how to even start.  Nor do they think things through.  You can't argue rationally with such a person.

The number two punch of this one-two combination is this: 

Whatever the reason, it seems the folks with the most common sense are being marginalized, and I don't think it's by accident.  Microsoft has its foot in the door of a billion+ computers.  They see this as an opportunity to cash in above all else, and they know that people can't just change to another system on a whim (even if there were another, better system available).

We are just fish on hooks and in nets to the Microsoft management.  The vision that came from the founder(s) is gone, and it's all about greed now.

-Noel

The thing is (as I saw somebody pointing out somewhere recently), Microsoft is pushing hard for a Metro UI that's failed everywhere it's been introduced, as customers stayed away in droves from Windows 8 while the Windows Phone (or whatever the heck they're calling it this month) remains strictly a minor-league player in the smartphone market. And this is after years of trying to foist Metro on the public. They're fast approaching the proverbial qualification for insanity certification (trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result).

--JorgeA

And speaking of Metro, tonight I finally got tired of looking at a crude blocky Start Menu with gawdy tiles in Win10, and installed Classic Shell.

Man, there is just no comparison. It's an insult to what Ivo and @xpclient have done, to even try to compare Microsoft's feeble effort to theirs.

Among the advantages of Classic Shell is that all those godforsaken Metro apps are now tucked away in their own Start Menu folder, as opposed to taking up visual space in the Win10 Start Menu. I no longer have to scroll through them to get to what I really need.

Their Start Menu has transparency in the right panel; are Microsoft's developers less competent? (My answer: probably not, but their managers -- or more likely their managers' managers' managers -- certainly are.)

--JorgeA

The creative whatever server upload DLC rubbish is only money making to professionals who have been in the game for years. By that I mean years or that one or two people who have parents that were in the field. All of Adobe products; like Maya and Macromedia ( soon to be Autodesk ) are all updated to the point of reason ability.

Adobe business model( like the rest ) is basically an non-savy user is the best kind of user. They make new products and we just go with the flow of things and call it adapting. When they could purchase something that is more then ten years old and get the same results.

Of course that is the educated route. What is funny is how the lesson plan changes with each upgrade. They had it in CS2 then removed that and replaced that feature ( renamed it ) in CS3. Then they removed it in CS4. Finally added it back in CS5. Finally made an entirely new application for that one task in CS6 and call it whatever. Or better yet integrate the process into another program again.

And phuck MS-Works. PDF creator can't be read by non-matching PDF readers. Oh wow a reader with voice I mean zomgsh. I need a reader from Adobe when their are other vendors for years. I mean zomgsh it is easier to throw money at a problem and call it an day. Then ten years you realize oh we could have invested in something else because the program is free now.

vista_does_not_work.jpg

Microsoft is releasing windows 10 and 9 in order to push for the murder of Vista and XP. By tricking programmers to stop supporting Vista they feel they are removing XP off the map completely as well.

Edited by ROTS