Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

One-two punch on the core concept of Windows 10:

Tablets generally are a stagnant, possibly declining, market. Now there's this MSFT-specific news:

Microsoft’s Phone Hardware Business may be ailing worse than thought

Over the last few weeks we have discussed the Windows Phone ecosystem at length and it seems our concerns about the platform are not unfounded based on information in a recent financial filing from the company.

Read further at the link for an enlightening discussion of "write-offs" vs. "write-downs."

Mobile-friendly Win10 may arrive just in time to become totally irrelevant, while remaining distinctly unfriendly to PC users.

--JorgeA

how can I change the desktop icons? doing a right click goes to the ugly settings app

I was able to get to the "legacy" control panel applet that controls desktop icons by (in Classic Shell) searching for "desktop icons".

DesktopIcons1.png

DesktopIcons2.png

-Noel

Is your son a metrotard?

Two years ago, my wife Tami and I decided that our children's education would not be complete without some grounding in modern computers. To this end, we bought our children a brand new Dell to learn with. Our son Larson was most entranced by the device, and became quite a pro at writing comments on the net. When Larson began to spend whole days on the machine, I became concerned, but Tami advised me to calm down, and that it was only a passing phase. I was content to bow to her experience as a mother, until our youngest daughter, Julie, charged into the living room one night to blurt out: "Larson is a metrotard!"

After going through this ordeal with my own family, I was left pondering how I could best help others in similar situations. I'd gained a lot of knowledge over those few days regarding metrotards. It's only right that I provide that information to other parents, in the hope that they will be able to tell if their children are being drawn into the world of online-shilling.

Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Stevos Sinofkos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "Windows", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by metrotards to turn other people's computer systems into oversized smartphones. They may also be used to break into people's PC to turn their local accounts into a "Sinofsko Account", using the "universal apps" program. Sinofkos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "metro", which is used by metrotards (inept followers of Sinofskos) to break Windows machines on the internet by replacing their applications with "apps".

Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?

Your son will probably try to install some metrotard software to convert the installed genuine Windows system into a Sinofsko program. He may attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular metrotard software includes "PrepareWin7ForWindowsTechnicalPreview.exe", "KB2990214" and "KB3035583".

The best option is to confront your son with the evidence, and force him to remove the offending programs. He will probably try to install the software again, but you will be able to tell that this is happening, if your machine offers to "download" one of the metrotard applications through Windows Update. If this happens, it is time to give your son a stern talking to, and possibly consider punishing him with a grounding.

Has your child asked for new hardware?

Metrotards are often overwhelmed by conventional computer hardware. They may request "easier" input methods, like a touch screeen, even on a desktop computer. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

If your son has requested a new "Surface RT" from a company called "NuMicrosoft", this is genuine cause for alarm. NuMicrosoft is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of the American company Apple. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they are deliberately incompatible with software made for the operation system of the once proud American company Microsoft. Surface RT devices are never sold in regular stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites or go to seedy "NuMicrosoft Stores". Do not buy this "2 in 1" tablet! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

Does your child read metrotard propaganda?

If you pay close attention to your son's reading habits, as I do, you will be able to determine a great deal about his opinions and hobbies. Children are at their most impressionable in the teenage years. Any father who has had a seventeen year old daughter attempt to sneak out on a date wearing make up and perfume is well aware of the effect that improper influences can have on inexperienced minds.

There is, unfortunately, lots of metrotard propaganda available on the internet today. A few propaganda pieces to be on the lookout for are: "Windows 8 will stomp everything" and "Who needs the Start Menu?" by Dotmatrix; "Windows 8 is beautiful" by Ed Bott; "Sinofskos is a genius" by Hal Berenson and "Metro is untouchable" by Paul Thurrott.

If you find any of these metrotard propaganda on your child's computer, delete them immediately. You should also petition websites to remove these articles from their CMSes. You may meet with some resistance at first, but even media networks have to bow to community pressure.

How much time does your child spend using the computer each day?

If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to shill other peoples sites. Shilling involves spreading Windows 8 and metro on other people's machines, and using it to tie up vital internet services. This can take up to eight hours. If your son is doing this, he is breaking the law, and you should stop him immediately. The safest policy is to limit your children's access to the computer to a maximum of forty-five minutes each day.

Does your son use the Windows 8 app-store?

The app-store is an online marketplace used by metrotards. It is a unpopular meeting place and trading ground by the general public, but highly frequented by metrotards, where they buy third-rate knock-off programs called "apps" for the Sinofkos Windows 8 OS. Many metrotards develop anti-social tendencies due to the use of this virtual world, and it may cause erratic behaviour at home and at school.

If your son is using the Windows 8 app-store, you should make him understand that this is not acceptable to you. You should ensure all the credit cards in your house are carefully locked away. You should also bring your concerns to the attention of his school.

Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

As a child enters the electronic world of online-shilling for Sinofkos, he may become disaffected with the real world. He may lose the ability to control his actions, or judge the rightness or wrongness of a course of behaviour. This will manifest itself soonest in the way he treats others. Those whom he disagrees with will be met with scorn, bitterness, and even foul language. He may utter threats of violence of a real or electronic nature.

Even when confronted, your son will probably find it difficult to talk about this problem to you. He will probably claim that there is no problem, and that you are imagining things. He may tell you that it is you who has the problem, and you should "back off" and "stop smothering him." Do not allow yourself to be deceived. You are the only chance your son has, even if he doesn't understand the situation he is in. Keep trying to get through to him, no matter how much he retreats into himself.

Has your son radically changed his appearance?

If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may have a metrotard on your hands. Metrotards tend to dress in ironic, vintage rags. They may wear scarfs even in the middle of July, ridiculous caps and unkempt facial hair to match their clothes. They may also wear fake oversized glasses. (I have no idea why they do this). There are many such metrotards in schools today, and your son may have started to associate with them. If you notice that your son's group of friends includes people dressed like this, it is time to think about a severe curfew, to protect him from dangerous influences.

Is your son struggling academically?

If your son is failing courses in school, or performing poorly on sports teams, he may be involved in a metrotard group, such as the infamous "neowin" metrotard association. Excessive time spent on the touchscreen, communicating with his fellow metrotards may cause temporary damage to the eyes and brain, from the electromagnetic radiation. This will cause his marks to slip dramatically, particularly in difficult subjects such as Math, and Chemistry. In extreme cases, over-exposure to computer radiation can cause schizophrenia, meningitis and other psychological diseases. Also, the reduction in exercise may cause him to lose muscle mass, and even to start gaining weight. For the sake of your child's mental and physical health, you must put a stop to his shill-activities, and limit his computer time drastically.

I encourage all parents to read through this guide carefully. Shilling is an illegal and dangerous activity, that may land your child in a marketing department, and tear your family apart. It cannot be taken too seriously.

Edited by Formfiller

Yeah, I was bit bored..

That was pretty funny, though.  :thumbup

--JorgeA

The neotards are as stiff as always though.

Tried to test them and posted this there (neowin). They moved it promptly into their "jokes" area. I was extremely surprised they didn't delete it. Can the metrotards be saved after all?

Too late: After a few stary-eyed "huh?"-comments, they deleted it a few minutes later.

@ Formfiller: :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Windows 10 slated to be out “as-a-service”

... “We are moving from a product that is perpetual to one that is always up to date,” he said. “In the past we’ve always had revenue per licence. Going forward we’ll have revenue per device, and we’ll have revenue per device gross margin.” ...

... “Windows as a Service is a gigantic change for our customers and our partners,” he said. “Windows and the OS will always be up to date.” ...

... One place where subscriptions are confirmed as coming to the Windows 10 platform is the Windows Store. Developers that want to use in-app purchases to serve customers content or new app features on an ongoing basis can do so via a subscription model.

“With Windows 10 we’re putting apps back at the centre of the experience,” Prieto says. “We’re doing everything we can for developers so users can find the and discover their apps.” ...

when I typed Desktop in the search I was able to run the dialog to change icons.

That's good, I'm glad.

While it's still possible to change the icons, what is NOT good is that Microsoft has made it impossible to get to that desktop icons dialog unless you already know that it's there somewhere, because Windows 10 won't show you how to get to it.

--JorgeA

Windows 10 slated to be out “as-a-service”

... “We are moving from a product that is perpetual to one that is always up to date,” he said. “In the past we’ve always had revenue per licence. Going forward we’ll have revenue per device, and we’ll have revenue per device gross margin.” ...

... “Windows as a Service is a gigantic change for our customers and our partners,” he said. “Windows and the OS will always be up to date.” ...

Yup, and a billion Win10 devices will all BSOD at the same time  :yes: , with no one to rescue them save for the haters who cling stubbornly to their older OS   ;)  or have moved on to Linux. :w00t:

And even then it might not be possible to boot a Linux Live Disk to repair the damage... meaning that, for all intents and purposes, the device is bricked and the Win10 user will have no choice but to go out and get a new machine.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

A lot of insightful and incisive commentary over in the Win10TP Insider forum. A small selection from a handful of threads over a few days:

Until I joined the insider programme I always liked MS products but stayed with XP until the bitter end - I know I should have upgraded to 7 and, with hindsight I would have done that.  Win 8.1 is ok if you don't go anywhere the metro apps.  However, the feeling I get with Win 10 is that we are being herded towards a future vision that's only catering for the people that want to "switch the product on and consume". When I look at the promo videos of the Win 10 launch I find myself feeling that what we are seeing is victory of form over substance.  The reality is never going to match the hype and what you have to give up in terms of personalisation options and privacy does not look like it's going to match what you gain in apps.

It used to be that you bought Windows to allow you to control the computer and get productivity out of it, and now they give you Windows for free in exchange for them controlling the computer to get productivity out of you - one might call it mining adcoin.

I've been espousing the idea of a modular windows for years.  You want a start menu on your windows then download the start menu module.   You want the glitz and polish of Vista then download a vista module.   Hell they could even make an XP module and it would make your Windows 10 look like XP.

On my tablet or phone I'd probably run pretty lean.   But my desktops and laptops are more than powerful enough to load them up with all kinds of modules.

A core kernel would be installed then we would decide what else we want on the machine.  Maybe I want a non-MS text editor instead of Notepad.  Why would I need Wordpad if I'm installing Office?  But I could get Notepad by installing the module.

I absolutely do not want windows installed on my appliances,
just wait for it,

This copy of windows fridge is not genuine,
your fridge is now set at 86°C until you correct the issue.

This copy of windows dishwasher is not genuine,
the soap dispenser will not function until you correct the issue. 

This copy of windows clothes washer is not genuine,
the spin cycles will not function until you correct the issue.

This copy of windows home is not genuine,
you may not come home until you correct the issue,

all your life are belong to us,
we have infected all your "smart" appiances and changed the settings, passwords and login user names
pay 300bitcoin per appliance to restore the settings

--JorgeA

I thought I'd add a small mention of a small feature I don't know even know still works

Currently, I am using Build 10041, I like how the taskbar and startmenu (Classic Shell, and MetroTard)

adopt some colour from the daily wall paper.

The bit that I really like is how the settings icons also adopt the colour too. Try it. 

Do the later builds do this?

Take a look at the thumbnail of the video on that page. You see all the sorts of devices that are to be within that 1 billion devices including phones, tablets, notebooks, AIO, Xbox and TV. Notice that the Desktop PC is not shown there!