Anyone still using Windows XP as main OS?

Stefan43

Yes ... Dibya is new with only 10 posts ... I hate to think about my first 10 posts when I joined MSFN. They were probably very stupid posts and actually may have caused some long time members to leave the forum for good.

However, we improve and in my case with newer posts that may still be considered "borderline stupid" ... I am proud to now be considered an MSFN Expert ... just don't ask me any questions !!!

monroe

(off topic) @vinifera

You apparently successfully vaccinated MS. Remember vaccines can have side effects. Joking apart, I would be more concerned about a variety of updates that since making yourself and your computer in the style of Windows 10 glasses. Tagged "Customer Experience and diagnostic telemetry", which sounds very harmless but it is demonstrated in my eyes a fire hazard. (demonstrably be with under Screenshoots transferred to MS when installing programs) Moreover, this forum is to share experiences and knowledge, but not for selective misinformation what div. companies a lot of money to pay so that it brings the press under the User. This is my contribution to the legal API's topic!

:no:

Edited by heinoganda

you obviously don't read nor have common sense

Maybe Dybia had common sense but accidentally lost it :w00t: and probably it can be found in the garbage can, near your patience and politeness? :unsure:

:whistle:

jaclaz

oh well

every forum needs an as***** :D

but seriously, these alky and dx debates were old since vista days

there's no reason to... dream and revive same old crap which isn't possible

(off topic) @vinifera

You apparently successfully vaccinated MS. Remember vaccines can have side effects. Joking apart, I would be more concerned about a variety of updates that since making yourself and your computer in the style of Windows 10 glasses. Tagged "Customer Experience and diagnostic telemetry", which sounds very harmless but it is demonstrated in my eyes a fire hazard. (demonstrably be with under Screenshoots transferred to MS when installing programs) Moreover, this forum is to share experiences and knowledge, but not for selective misinformation what div. companies a lot of money to pay so that it brings the press under the User. This is my contribution to the legal API's topic!

dunno what win10 and its telemetry has to do with alky

Edited by vinifera

(off topic) @vinifera

Take me not bad, based on the theme alcohol you're right. What does alcohol do with this topic? Excuse me just makes me laugh or have I understood something wrong. (The wording "alky" (An alcoholic or mean the Program Alcohol) is a bit problematic for the translator.)

:)

Edited by heinoganda

(off topic) @vinifera

Take me not bad, based on the theme alcohol you're right. What does alcohol do with this topic? Excuse me just makes me laugh or have I understood something wrong. (The wording "alky" (An alcoholic or mean the Program Alcohol) is a bit problematic for the translator.)

No alcohol involved :no: he meant this (JFYI) :):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/110717-alky-project-is-discountinued-direcx-10-for-xp/

There are in the wild some other (like the one Dibya linked to) patches/hacked files/whatever (I believe of Russian origin), namely the one that Dibya referenced is also reviewed on Softpedia, the issue being that the Alky project seemed at the time to deliver far less than what promised and also these later *whatevers* (once set aside the legality of distributing them or linking to them) appear to be not working or at least the very few reports of it working do not sound "right", there are allegations of something smelling fishy inside the files and there is no home page, named developer and similar, let alone any kind of support.

If you search around all you will find are people posting on forums here and there about the thingy either working flawlessly or not working at all, but I could not ever find a single report (not among the successes, nor among the failures) that I would call "reliable" or "credible".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz

Finally you will be enlightened. With the theme of DirectX for XP projects, although I have read on the edge of something but is concerned that I did not care because I do not have games that require it. Think then every have at least something to laugh at my last posts.

(Because you can never know for sure what malicious software is because maybe still included.) Thank you!

@vinifera

Hope you're not angry with me. Have been informed precisely about the "alky" project.

Edited by heinoganda

i know a guy who uses alky to port some crappy vista beta files into 5.2 kernel

and it supposedly works but he is mixing stuff with reactos files, so i won't even dig there...

but as for directx 10 or 11 goes, answer will always be NO

yes you can copy files onto XP, and XP dxdialog will detect and show that direct x 10 is "installed"

but NO games will use it, or to be precise, games won't use its features

• 2 weeks later...

For the Firefox detractors;

use the 2000 Pro style theme with classic theme restorer

I use on both the XP HTPC and the W7 workstation [using IownAmoneyPit's re-creation of 2000/XPPro's "Maple" theme].

To me, FF is King.

2d6pd39.jpg

I like Firefox for its predictable popup and middle-click behavior, and superior download performance--interrupted downloads consistently resume. Video DownloadHelper plugin works well on YouTube.

I like Google Chrome because of its crash resistance and far superior memory handling. It has a native x64 implementation supported by Google (I run XPx64). And HD video works on YouTube. But the Video DonloadHelper plugin doesn't work on YouTube (I suspect by design since it's also owned by Google).

I keep both installed.

Edited by 5eraph

Video DownloadHelper doesn't seem to work on YouTube (on Firefox) anymore. Somebody told me it's because YouTube retired an older video system, or something along those lines.

Maybe because they're defaulting to an HTML5 player, no?

I dunno. On older browsers and Pale Moon, Flash is still default. I'm trying to remember what they retired that renders Video DownloadHelper non-functional. Google isn't helping with this one.

Try using a non-browser specific downloader, I use Free Download Manager {or just call it FDM}

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/free_download_manager.html

Also available as a portable application..

http://portableapps.com/

As you see in my previous, I use it with an extension, that is also available for Chrome,

some like JDownloader, which, last time I looked, had a similar interface and is also portable.

11se5o2.jpg