Themes for Windows 10

xXiNightXx

• 4 weeks later...

NoelC, Your theme has a nice colourisation to the active window. Its very clean looking. However, for the moment I dont enjoy the faux window borders and its annoying that MS are trying to force the borderlessness on everyone... Your theme looks good, but for now, I think I'd prefer your theme without the borders as they are now, but, instead would prefer a simple white line (since now they made the outer window have a black line, making Aeroglass look different to the 8.1 version, and hard to determine window border on dark desktop images - I guess I'd like a win10 version of the atlas that came with win8.1 AeroGlass).

Also, I am not used to having a dark glow with light text. Its new and pretty nice. I think I would also prefer the minimise button and maximise button to also be light in colour now. But maybe with the same background glow as the titlebar glow.

(I'm not very good at manipulating the Atlas files tho, as I dont really have anything other than the gimp that is capable of dealing with transparency and I dont even have the atlas for the build 9879).

(Hope this is not coming off as a request, its not intended to be. Although it wouldn't be terrible if some of what I said was made into a theme, this is still in no way a request).

Edited by drakenabarion

Thanks for the feedback.

The light text on dark background better matches Microsoft's Metro/Modern-App-In-A-Window black background look (though I can't understand why they had to deviate from the standard theme).  I also find it helps differentiate window titles from typical text inside windows.

I just wish the theme atlas could apply to the ribbon-enabled windows, such as File Explorer and Wordpad.  At some point maybe I'll try out full theme customization.

I've got to tell you - I can't STAND the "borderless" look, mostly because I find the border actually gives me a visual target to position the mouse for window sizing.  As you've probably noticed, with my "faux" approach the borders are not made translucent, but are actually partially transparent.  They're so small the difference is almost inconsequential.  Almost.  They seem to work best when the Aero Glass Opacity is set to about 40%.  I'd also like inactive windows to be darker, and to be fair I've managed to get 'em a bit darker than the screen grab above, but to me they still seem a little light (in Win 8 I have them nearly fully transparent and I like that the inactive windows are even less "stand out" in appearance than I've managed to get the ones in Win 10).

I'm not sure I'm happy with such large sized drop shadows just yet.  I may try experimenting with smaller ones.

Here's a copy of the box-stock Windows 10 build 9879 theme atlas, if you'd like to fool with it.  It can be extracted from resource 1205 in Aero.msstyle...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/Win10_Build_9879_Theme_Atlas.png

I've put an updated theme atlas online.  Just a little tidying up and tuning.  Now it looks more integrated around the top corners.  I tried a whole lot of ways to make the minimize and maximize buttons look better, and I could not find anything I liked better than this.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/FauxBordersRoundedCorners.png

Win81_AG126_20141122.png

I find the above to work best with these registry settings:

RegEntriesForFBRC.png

Some alternates:

A Theme Atlas, similar to the above, but which does NOT add any color to the title bar or borders - i.e., does not assume a blue color.

http://Noel.ProDigit...lessBorders.png

This still has a dark "glow" for white title text.  I think that really fits with the look of it, but would anyone want a variant where the glow behind the title is light (for dark text)?

ActiveNoColor.png

ActiveNoColorAlt.png

And for those who like dark text...  Colorless borders with a light title glow:

http://Noel.ProDigit...rsWhiteGlow.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2014 at 5:30 AM, Tusticles said:
On 19/10/2014 at 4:48 AM, link6155 said:

Just updated my theme Licorice to Windows 10 Technical Preview:  

Link

Beautiful! I found a small bug :P Same problem with Vanilla.

2j2ia7p.png

Do you have shadows disabled?  or it may be a glitch with Oldnewexplorer.

On 10/12/2014 at 2:53 AM, xXiNightXx said:
On 07/12/2014 at 5:30 AM, Tusticles said:
On 19/10/2014 at 4:48 AM, link6155 said:

Just updated my theme Licorice to Windows 10 Technical Preview:  

Link

2j2ia7p.png

Do you have shadows disabled?  or it may be a glitch with Oldnewexplorer.

No, I don't use Oldnewexplorer and shadows are enabled.

Out of curiosity, what is the problem being highlighted - that the buttons are not equidistant from the edges?

Doesn't that have more to do with the design of the application itself?

Or am I missing something painfully obvious - as I often do?  :)

Edit:  Never mind, I see the discontinuity now in the dark outline, after looking closely.  :blushing:

-Noel

2j2ia7p.png

The new build for Windows 10 caused this issue. It's a very easy fix, but I'll need to get Windows 10 again before I can fix it.

Edited by link6155

• 1 month later...

NoelC, I just realised in the past couple of days that in Windows 10, Aerolite theme retains the windows border and is very easy to activate. Is this something you might plan to play around with?

The only downside I can see is that taskbar text is locked in black with no glow.

Edit: I have played around with the theme atlas. Not exactly big differences but I like the outcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3kqs2ryz1oxmox/Win10_Build_9879_Theme_Atlas.edit.png?dl=0

Screenshot of that:

SVBll0m.jpg

Edited by drakenabarion