Advice on a 64bit system upgrade

Dave-H

@cdob

The later Intel driver I tried didn't work either, so i tried the INF file mods on the Intel 18.3 driver you suggested, but unfortunately neither option worked.

The driver apparently installs, but the device says "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)" in Device Manager.

I think I will put the other driver back, which does say it's working properly in Device Manager, and see if i can find why it's not connecting to my router.

@jaclaz

The reason I didn't detail or link to the driver that apparently works is because it isn't actually working properly, so I saw no point unless I could declare that it was the right driver for the job!

For what it's worth, it's here.

:)

Thanks guys!

I'm actually away from home for most of today, but I'll certainly follow all this up as soon as I can.

I did get a reply from Supermicro, and they can't understand what's wrong!

They gave me some driver links, but none of them recognised the hardware either.

:no:

Hi again guys, sorry for delay in reporting back.

The first thing I have to report, which I never thought I would be able to, is that Windows 98SE still works!

:thumbup

I finally plucked up the courage to run it today, and was amazed when it started up at all.

It spent ages finding and loading drivers, but after that it was fine, albeit in VGA mode because it has no driver for the new graphics card I had to buy.

Sound is fine (it's the same AC97 system as the old board) and the only things it didn't find drivers for (as I expected) were the Ethernet controllers and a couple of system devices. So that's a real bonus, I really didn't think it would start up at all with the new hardware.

Still not having any luck with the Ethernet controllers on Windows XP.

:no:

I've tried several combinations of INF files and driver files from the two drivers I've got, and the only one that doesn't produce a "can't start" error is the Asus one, which again seems to be working fine, but won't connect to my router. I tried connecting it directly to the Ethernet port on my netbook too, but with the same result that it couldn't assign an IP address.

I tried assigning all the correct numbers manually, and it then reported that it was connected, but the port light on the router was still red, and there was no actual connection.

Also, even if I set the Ethernet port to force a 100Mbs connection, it's still reporting a 1000Mbs connection.

As the router hardware presumably doesn't support connecting at that speed, I guess that could well be the problem!

It's a Sagemcom F@ST2504n router BTW.

Edited by Dave-H

Well, now I think it's time to give it a VIA 6105 or the like (a *very* plain-vanilla PCI) LAN card, create images (not clones) of both partitions (I use a 2 partition 2 TB  USB WD My Passport for storing intermediate images) and solve all remaining problems but the LAN. While I'm confident you may end-up creating an .INF / driver combination that'll let you use the onboard hardware on XP, that won't happen on 98, so that maybe the PCI card will end-up being more than an interim solution (even if, for now, I'm proposing to use it precisely as an interim solution, and nothing more).

Thanks Den, I've actually already got a separate PCI LAN Ethernet card, which is the one given to my by the guy I bought the board from.

I'm using it to connect right now of course!

If I can find a Windows 98 driver for it, I can of course carry on using it, but I'd still like to get the on-board LAN hardware working if possible, if only because it's annoying to have to use up a PCI slot with a card that shouldn't be necessary.

Of course! But save as images all that you've already accomplished, take care of all that remains, but that, get into day-to-day working order again, and then, in absolutely no hurry, we can apply ourselves to solving that GLAN conundrum. Just my 2 ¢, of course.

I found a driver for the Ethernet card that works in Windows 98, so I can get online with both operating systems.

I suspect that even if I can get it working, I would have trouble finding a 98 driver for the on-board GLAN, so I may well have to keep the card anyway.

My main puzzlement now is why none of my old 16 bit programs will now work in Windows XP.

They are working fine still in Windows 98.

I've done some research on this, and there does seem to be a known problem with 16 bit programs on 64 bit operating systems, but of course my Windows XP is 32 bit, even though it's now running on 64 bit hardware.

I can't find any references yet about problems with 16 bit programs on a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware.

Anyone any information on this, and whether there's any answer to it?

(Still thinking the gLAN problem is some sort of setting somewhere..)

<snip>two quad core Xeons running at 3.16 GHz, which is all as it should be, and 4 GB of RAM.
...and
<snip>XP is 32 bit, even though it's now running on 64 bit hardware.

<snip>16 bit programs on a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware.

Are you, by chance, booting with the "/PAE" option in BOOT.INI? :unsure: Could you say what the symptoms are of the 16-bit proggies not working? I wouldn't think the "bitness" of the Hardware would have anything to do with it? (please note what the PAE parameter says in the link jaclaz gave)

This is my boot.ini. No PAE switch.

[boot loader]timeout=5default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WIN-NT[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WIN-NT="Windows XP Professional SP3" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOutC:\Cmdcons\Bootsect.dat="Windows XP Recovery Console" /cmdconsC:\="Windows 98 Second Edition"

The 16 bit programs just don't run. There's usually no error messages, but I have occasionally seen "NTVDM has encountered an error and needs to close", which is obviously part of it. Looking at Task Manager when I start one of the programs, NTVDM runs but immediately closes again.

I've now sorted out the physical problem of fitting my drives into the case with the new motherboard BTW!

Edited by Dave-H

Which version of ntkrnlpa.exe (or ntkrpamp.exe) are you using? I'd expect it to be "5.1.2600.6419 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421)". Check it in the File Version line of the Properties window, s that you get the full version string and not just the numbers. Moreover, I'd recommend for the boot.ini the switches "/noexecute=AlwaysOff /PAE /fastdetect", without the quotation marks, of course, now that you are on x64 processors.

Please bear in mind that the supersedence order of the updates is the following: KB2859537 (MS13-063) > KB2839229 (MS13-048) > KB2813170 (MS13-031) > KB2799494 (MS13-017) > KB2724197 (MS12-068) In principle, the latest qfe update contains all the previous fixes, but sometimes there's some registry modification or the like that falls over into the ether and needs to be done by hand, instead.

Also, the Microsoft knowledge base often seems to speak a different language that is more difficult to comprehend compared to an Internet forum.

One example is KB2724197: MS blabing mumbo-jumbo about 'security', but said nothing that it would impact EMS availabilty on NTVDM.
Well, the previous "security" update, KB2707511 already caused NTVDM to crash on opening a pipe, an issue that hasn't been fixed. Since security updates are cumulative, KB2724197 must have both issues. Now, ain't those latest updates really awesome? sad.gif
Just to yet again point out that maybe two rollbacks may be in order, not just one... KB2633171 being the last non-flawed krnl set.

I can't believe that Microsoft hasn't been very helpful remedying the issue of EMS not working for 16-bit apps under Windows XP as I personally believe that the important of the 16-bit Windows subsystem is increasingly deprecated.

True enough. BTW, if you really need EMS, EMS Magic seems to be the way to go...

That's a very good idea! smile.gif

Good news! At least the NTVDM pipe and UMB issues seem to be solved by KB2785487. Not sure about EMS availability, but EMS Magic is known to solve that.