POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I installed KB4056615 from the stand-alone file @heinoganda gave us a link to, and all went as expected. However, I use MSE 4.4.304.0, the standard XP SP3 firewall and Pi-Hole as the DNS server (formerly it was a big HOSTS file, but now I use the default HOSTS file and outsource all the work to the Raspberry Pi 3)... Therefore I deduce your paranoid system security is to blame for the file not getting installed. My 2¢ only, of course.

Later musing:
Then again, if I turn to be right, @glnz
's supermegaüberparanoid security settings should also prevent him from installing KB4056615...

2 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@glnz

Just download Malwarebytes and copy it to another folder. If that works, I would risk it.

:)

Heinoganda - my XP machine has Malwarebytes (Free) since President Carter, and it works for manual scans.  Should I download it again?

Heinoganda - I just successfully downloaded   mb3-setup-SEMFD.100SEM-3.1.2.1733-1.0.139-1.0.2060.exe

Just for fun I ran an Avast scan of that file, and the scan completed successfully (clean).

So, it might be OK to run KB4056615 and KB4056941 ?  Thanks.

Heinoganda - Jetzt verstehe ich ...

The copying DOES NOT FINISH.   Also, I cannot delete the COPY.

Wow!

So I shall WAIT before installing KB4056615 and KB4056941.

And what does this mean anyway?

(Thank you for this warning.   But this is ... sehr eigenartig.)

Hi all,

I have a brandnew compi with Asus Apex motherboard and z370 chipset.

On this compi I installed on a SSD with a lot of work XP 32 pro SP3 with embedded POS 2009 hack for updates,

boottime is about 5 sec:)).

Also I have on this compi Win server 2003 SP2 32 bit,

Win7 32 bit and win 10 RS2 64 bit.

After todays update with KB4056615 with the exchange of ntoskrnl.exe my XP does not boot any longer.

Ony a black screen with a blinking cursor can be seen.

Via win7 I changed back  ntoskrnl.exe to the old version.

ONLY this gives me the possibility,  to come via F8 to "abgesicherten Modus".

From there I unistalled the 2 Packages from today, one with name KB4056615.

Then I restart my compi with XP and all seems nice.

About 3 sec later again I got this KB4056615 update.

This times it installes during shutdown without problems

and now my compi starts as normal,

have a nice day

Dietmar

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Tried the nuclear option of booting into Windows 8.1 (it's a dual boot machine) and manually substituting NTKRNLPA.EXE and NTOSKRNL.EXE in the \System32 folder with the (later) versions in the \DLLCache folder.
The result of that was that the machine wouldn't boot at all, just hanging on a black screen!

Ntoskrnl and Ntkrnpa are fixed names (Ntldr reads fixed names).
Depending on the hardware this are renamed files.
Can you read the orignial names from a backup?

The original ntoskrnl.exe () won't work at a current multiprocessor machine : black screen
At a ACPI multiprocessor machine ntkrnlmp.exe is remaned to ntoskrnl.exe.
And ntkrpamp.exe is remaned to ntkrnlpa.exe. (used at boot.ini /PAE)
Hints:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

Curious: ntkrnlmp.exe  5.1.2600.7392 is one month old

Hi all, and happy new year!

I have a hint for all with problems installing some updates automatically like actual KB4056615.

Same here today with my XP Pro.

I download the standalone from MS update catalog and install it as ADMIN, then force the normal shutdown and restart.

After this procedure the yellow shield was gone and KB4056615 was installed properly.

On 11/17/2017 at 11:38 AM, Dave-H said:

I'd be interested to know too if there are any other patches like that which we should have, mainly because presumably eventually Microsoft will remove them.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:14 PM, dencorso said:

At present I do recommend just 3 other true hotfixes, the ones marked as hotfix in this post, and the exFAT upgrade (KB955704), which version for XPSP3 has been already pulled by MS, but can still be found here. Moreover, MDGx's (yes he's alive!) enthusiastic page about exFAT is a good read (although I do still prefer either FAT32 or NTFS, a closed proprietary fs like exFAT dos not thrill me at all, as you may imagine). I haven't identified any other which is a true must, besides those. YMMV, of course! :yes:

On 11/21/2017 at 8:20 AM, Vistaboy said:

I would add this one KB922120v6 to see XP system in W7/8/10 net

KB922120 - Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

A great resource to retrieve hotfix, as support.microsoft often removes that files, is here (you can use search tab to find anything in any language)

On 11/21/2017 at 7:03 PM, dencorso said:

Good suggestion! I agree that one is a useful addition to my shortlist of must-have HotFixes above.
And here's some good info on it (beyond MS's KB922120), at Linksys: KB922120

It's been some time since we talked about this, and today I remembered another HotFix I always use and ought to recommend: KB951126. It's from way back when, but it still carries the latest hal.dlls (v. 5.1.2600.5573) for XP SP3.  The KB article is gone, but the HotFix remains available by request from MS. :)

16 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

@dencorso
@cdob

Thanks guys, but the problem is not with my dual processor machine, which updated fine, it's with my netbook, which is a pretty basic single processor machine.
:yes:

LOL, well there goes my big plan.  I was hoping another patch would be released.  Oh well.  I've tried all the other suggestions and still no love for the #615 kb.

I think that the major changes to the kernel sometimes cause problems with some processors. Best then uninstall KB4056615 and wait for what will appear on the upcoming patch day for updates. Rome has not been built in a day.

:)