So let me ask the obvious. . .

SPX

The GDI performance in XP was vastly superior to the implementation Vista onwards. It has not improved in 7 or 8 but is hardly noticeable anymore as it's been uncoupled from the main thread since multi core. The affinity change seems to have been the "solution" here, and it's not ideal but one of those tradeoffs that is a personal choice. Certainly can understand people sticking with operating systems as long as all the risk factors are understood and accounted for

Jody, while I respect submix8c and appreciate his active participation on the forum and his willingness to share what he knows, I too have found his responses a bit harsh and strident at times and I have thought that he sometimes escalated a situation when he "reacted" and occasionally took offense or lost his patience. ....

But then, I, like dencorso, have also been annoyed by 'your continuous returning to what you call "Windows XP's afterlife" ', and your "concern" about the safety of continuing to use XP, regardless of the many posts and external references that have been made showing that your concern appears to be unwarranted, if proper precautions are taken, so folks should feel safe continuing to use XP if it meets their needs. But then you know my opinion about the matter I'm sure. For the vast majority of your posts you have been polite, no question about that, but you have made them over and over and over ... And I hope you have felt that I have responded to your posts in a polite manner as well, though I guess I have been just as insistent as you have been. :)

I think all of us, including me, would be wise to take the good out of others posts, try to ignore what we feel might be offensive, assume the other person means well and might just have expressed it badly, and try to treat the other person the way we would like to be treated.

Cheers and Regards my friend

Now see, you've demonstrated how two people who don't agree 100% can still value each other's viewpoint and not act belittling to each other. I will say unlike you perhaps, I don't explicitly value or recognize things such as how many times someone has posted here in the past or even donated (so what?) but if one takes time to share their knowledge in a friendly manner, that can be valuable.

I didn't want to sound defensive, but like the OP feels, I still maintain revisiting topics can bring a different light depending on different people's input. So what may be annoying to some, well all I can say was that the OP was right: there are other people still chiming in the conversation. So it doesn't annoy everyone. And we should feel free to carry on our conversation if it interests us. Some people are extremely detail oriented and want many points of view on a topic.

Perfect case in point; here in Ontario the Rob Ford scandal is making HUGE inroads, and I'm THOROUGHLY sick of it. Every talks about it ad nauseum. However, I would never say to media forum posters to pipe down, or tell Jimmy Kimmel to put a lid on it. Everyone has an opinion on it, and rehashes the same points, but it's not going away, nor should it. I just don't read it. To me, XP was like a computer version of Rob Ford. What other big story is there in the "Windows" world? See what I mean?

Having said that, I do recognize your viewpoint. (and even submix8c's; but he should have been nicer about it; that's all)

Well bphlpt, thank you very much for your thoughtful perspective. It does make me feel a tad better. We don't have to agree, but we can do it without yanking out each other's hair.

:)

Cheers to you too my friend.

Jody

:)

Edited by JodyT

With all due respect, JodyT, not everybody feels like you about submix8c.

Please do bear with me and, just for a moment, do consider whether, or not, your continuous returning to what you call "Windows XP's afterlife" (I, for one, disagree: XP remains very alive!) might perhaps annoy, more than a little bit, much more members of these forums than submix8c's behaviour.

It may very well annoy more people (my bringing XP up) than submix8c's behaviour dencorso, but as per the point the OP was making; just don't read it then. There are others that DO NOT feel the way you or submix8c feel. After all, I'm not the ONLY guy discussing the topics. By contrast, there are topics that annoy me too, but I don't tell others to keep quiet. I just don't read it. Why is that such a problematic concept? (not angry, just trying to understand)

See dencorso, you might be more more accepting of submix8c's antics because you've known him longer, but not all of us do, or find that behaviour any more acceptable than you find my repetitive topics. Trust me, that sort of contestant "clubhouse" or "entitlement" behaviour scares valuable input away. It scares new blood away.

Anyway, I responded to bphlpt as eloquently as I could. I think what is said there is valid. I do appreciate you opposite viewpoint dnecorso.

@Jody T.

I think what annoyed most people here, was that instead of repost in a topic that was already started people made new topics again, and again, and again. IMO there should only be one topic for a subject that keeps coming back, and did not like the idea of a new subject keep on reapearing.

Jody, I posted several times before the one you quoted. My response in that particular one was to indicate that it was IMHO PRYING, as It -is- absolutely NOBODY'S business what OS I'm -currently- running, even if it was a Linux flavor. Further, (as was stated above) this topic is redundant and I provided a Google that would have ceased what I considered TROLLING, if anyone bothered to see tha SPX posted in another topic of the same sort (2011) before creating this Topic and it was 2008 when the LAST posting was done prior to that. Yes, I said TROLLING, as this is what it appeared to be.

1 - I -requested- the topic be closed (getting out of hand) but it wasn't. Fine, not my decision.

2 - If SPX had bothered to look, they would have found I triple-boot this machine and have a Win7Pro machine next to me as well as several other various operational/non-operational machines, including using VPC to test scenarios to either assist a member her -or- learn something myself. IOW, I have (nearly) ALL MS OS' (back to 5150/PCjr DOS). Satisfied?

3 - Odd that you TROLLED (yes, I said it again) this Topic to attack me (for no apparent reason) when jaclaz as well has "irritated" you, the difference being jaclaz uses sarcasm while I do not.

...IMNSHO...

BTW, review this Topic and tell me again about attitudes. "Nuff Said!"

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171538-windows-nt-4-performance/

And may I thank you for paying so much attention to me thus placing some sort of importance upon my meager existence. ;)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

7.b This community is built upon mutual respect. You are not allowed to flame other members. People who do not respect personal opinions and/or personal work will be warned in first instance. If you ignore the warning and keep on flaming, you will be banned without notice.

---

Mods, I apologize for being (once again) "argumentative", BUT this is absolutely ridiculous (i.e. pointless)! May I consider myself duly warned (for simply responding)?

---

@All - have a great Thursday! I have other things to do today, like get a 5th birthday present for my grandson. :yes:

Here's the essence of the 1st post:

Why are you guys still running 9x?
[...]
So the question is why? What drives you? What's the point? And how many of you really do use a 9x OS on your primary machine?

The best possible answer:

Your basic question is "WHY?"

A simple answer is "Because we can."

[...]

Having said that, I do recognize your viewpoint. (and even submix8c's; but he should have been nicer about it; that's all)

[...] 3 - Odd that you TROLLED (yes, I said it again) this Topic to attack me (for no apparent reason) when jaclaz as well has "irritated" you, the difference being jaclaz uses sarcasm while I do not.
...IMNSHO... [...]

This is a fact: both submix8c, and jaclaz (whom submix8c's just mentioned above), do come across to some (sometimes even to me) as harsh, grumpy or, in any case, "not quite nice".  But I've never seen either of them really intent on giving offense to (or worse, really flaming) anyone. On the contrary, they usually try to help even when they are visibly annoyed for some reason.

See dencorso, you might be more more accepting of submix8c's antics because you've known him longer, but not all of us do, or find that behaviour any more acceptable than you find my repetitive topics.  Trust me, that sort of contestant "clubhouse" or "entitlement" behaviour scares valuable input away.  It scares new blood away.

Anyway, I responded to bphlpt as eloquently as I could.  I think what is said there is valid.  I do appreciate you opposite viewpoint dencorso.

I do appreciate your viewpoint, too. And I, for one, am, most of the time, ready to agree to disagree, and hold no grudge at all, because of it.

Now, you've also pointed out to a thing I maybe hadn't seen as clearly before, but now I do, thanks to you: what you fail to realize is that we *are* a "club"... in fact, this forum (and that for 2k and now, that for  XP, too, of course) are the meeting point of users of OSes who are disparaged, ridiculed, flamed or otherwise offended and mistreated, almost anywhere elsewhere, just because we use the OSes we like to use. Why do you expect any of us should not feel defensive when someone comes to our own hideaway and posts things like that 1st post I just quoted above?

... and, still on that line of thought, I think a lot of forums I know are, likewise, just "clubs", too...

Let me know if the idea is that I have to consider myself a codefendant or co-respondent in this trial :w00t: so that I can put together a defense argument. :whistle:

(BTW, thanks goes to submix8c for not keeping his big mouth shut :ph34r:, squealer! :realmad: )

jaclaz