4 inch amoebas

Flasche

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1024/Deepest-ocean-trench-home-to-race-of-giant-amoebas

Xenophyophores are giant unicellular organisms found throughout the world's oceans, at depths of up to 10,641 meters (6.6 miles).[1] When first described in 1889, the xenophyophores were placed with the sponges. Later they were classified as testate amoeboids (Arcellinida), then in their own phylum of Protista[citation needed]. A recent genetic study suggests the xenophyophores are a specialized group of Foraminifera[citation needed]. Xenophyophores are found in the greatest numbers on the abyssal plains of the deep ocean. They are placed in two orders in 13 genera with approximately 42 recognized species; one species, Syringammina fragilissima, is among the largest known single-celled organisms at up to 20 centimetres in diameter. --- Wikipedia

In other words they are a really big amoeba. (amoeba is an interchangeable name for the species, or anything classified as Amoeboid)

NOTE-- I know its from 2011, but I never heard anyone talk about it.

Edited by Flasche

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1024/Deepest-ocean-trench-home-to-race-of-giant-amoebas

Xenophyophores are giant unicellular organisms found throughout the world's oceans, at depths of up to 10,641 meters (6.6 miles).[1] When first described in 1889, the xenophyophores were placed with the sponges. Later they were classified as testate amoeboids (Arcellinida), then in their own phylum of Protista[citation needed]. A recent genetic study suggests the xenophyophores are a specialized group of Foraminifera[citation needed]. Xenophyophores are found in the greatest numbers on the abyssal plains of the deep ocean. They are placed in two orders in 13 genera with approximately 42 recognized species; one species, Syringammina fragilissima, is among the largest known single-celled organisms at up to 20 centimetres in diameter. --- Wikipedia

In other words they are a really big amoeba. (amoeba is an interchangeable name for the species, or anything classified as Amoeboid)

I found a video with the amoeba in it.

Edited by Flasche

Well, I guess it depends on your location, in Europe amoebas are among the most common topics of conversation, in pubs and bars (not so much at parties, where it is usually considered inappropriate). :whistle:

However you are right :), this new oceanic giant amoeba is rarely mentioned, most of the focus go on amoebic dysentery and Naegleria fowleri (brain eating amoeba).

It's a pity, though :(, as there could be a whole new market for pressurized aquariums (at around 1000 bars) to provide these little, lively pets with a suitable environment in everyone's home.

jaclaz

Well, I guess it depends on your location, in Europe amoebas are among the most common topics of conversation, in pubs and bars (not so much at parties, where it is usually considered inappropriate). :whistle:

However you are right :), this new oceanic giant amoeba is rarely mentioned, most of the focus go on amoebic dysentery and Naegleria fowleri (brain eating amoeba).

It's a pity, though :(, as there could be a whole new market for pressurized aquariums (at around 1000 bars) to provide these little, lively pets with a suitable environment in everyone's home.

jaclaz

Besides the joke, I totally agree with keeping the little guys as pets. Besides being very criticle for microbiologist who can now studdy a cell and see deeper into teh body with out kililing it. I would really like an amoeba as a pet. It would be really interesting.

I would really like an amoeba as a pet. It would be really interesting.

Yep :), though there is a potential issue ;):

http://forums.psychcentral.com/3126677-post8.html

jaclaz

That is very true. You would think that they would start to try to eat each other, but no they wont/cant. Normal amoebas live a couple day. How long can these giants live I dont know.

Edited by Flasche

Giant amoebas seem to be the least scary giant "thing" we have on the earth. Not like giant centipedes! :o

Amoeba Proteus is .5 millimeters at its maximum size. The ocean giant one 20 millimeters. 20 *.5 = 10. Move decimal over two places, and boom. This new ameoba is 1000 times bigger than its puny cousin. The average American is 70 inches (5' 10''). Spinosaurus (largest theropod dinosaur) is about 700 inches long (about 58'') 700/70= 10. Move decimal over two places. and you got something about 1000 times bigger than us.

Or you could look at this picture instead to get scared

Amoeba.jpg

Edited by Flasche

Amoeba Proteus is .5 millimeters at its maximum size. The ocean giant one 20 millimeters.

Hence, because amoebae can be thought-of as being roughly bidimensional (at least part of its lifetime), the ocean giant has an area of ca. 314.16 mm2 and Proteus has ca. 0.20 mm2 (assuming both are perfectly circular), so that the giant is 1570.80 times greater. Which is just about half-again your estimate, Flasche, but mathematically sounder, IMO, with all due respect. :)

Of course, I used the area of a circle, but I might conceivably have used the volume of a sphere, although I don't think an amoeba is a drop-like (or ball-like) creature, during most of its lifetime. If so, the giant would have 4188.79 mm3, while Proteus would have 0.07 mm3, so that the giant would be 64,442.93 times greater than Proteus!

Now, while this latter model (viz. drop-like) makes little sense by itself, IMO, but illustrates quite well that any estimate depends on the selected model... and since amoebae are not infinitely thin, may contribute to show that this fact tends to widen the difference betwwen the compared organisms. So I'd hazard a guesstimate that the giant may be up to 2000 times greater than Proteus, in real life. :yes:

So I'd hazard a guesstimate that the giant may be up to 2000 times greater than Proteus, in real life. :yes:

... OR the scientists failed to calibrate correctly the magnifying effect of the lens of the remotely controlled camera. :w00t::ph34r:

You know what happened with the diamonds supposed to be the oldest on earth, don't you? ;)

http://www.livescience.com/42192-earths-oldest-diamonds-scientific-error.html

jaclaz

Amoeba Proteus is .5 millimeters at its maximum size. The ocean giant one 20 millimeters.

Which is just about half-again your estimate, Flasche, but mathematically sounder, IMO, with all due respect. :)

That is ok. I should of found the area,circumference,surface area, and/or volume. I'm still a student (Algebra 2)

When I first read about the large amoebas yesterday ... I was thinking maybe another "food source" ... someday "farm raised amoebas" in your local store for stir fry or whatever ... until I read a little further in the article:

"Recent studies indicate that by trapping particles from the water, xenophyophores can concentrate high levels of lead, uranium and mercury and are thus likely resistant to large doses of heavy metals. They also are well suited to a life of darkness, low temperature and high pressure in the deep sea."

So they are probably not a possible food item but maybe someday a way to clean the environment of some toxic wastes ... much like some of the bacteria strains that feed on oil and such. Just a wild idea of course ... these amoebas come from great depths with tremendous pressure but who knows if one day they could serve a purpose closer to the surface of our world.

Slightly off topic but I just read this about the freshwater brain-eating amoeba, which is almost always fatal but a 12 yr old girl did survive with the help of an experimental drug from the CDC ... this was last year. The article is dated September 2013.

Brain amoeba found in tests of water supply where boy died in Louisiana

September 13, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/us/louisiana-brain-amoeba-water-supply/

... from the article with her picture to the left ... good for her that she made it, very lucky her Mom was persistent.

Officials said less than 1% of patients survive the deadly brain infection caused by this amoeba. But an experimental drug from the CDC has shown promise in fighting it. Kali Hardig, a 12-year-old in Arkansas, survived after contracting the amoeba in July, possibly at a Little Rock, Arkansas, water park.

"Doctors credited Kali's mom, Traci Hardig, with her survival, saying she brought her daughter to the hospital early and pushed for more tests.

"If you believe that there's something more wrong with your daughter or your son than a simple virus or stomach flu, stay in there, hang in there," Hardig told CNN. "Talk to the doctor ... and reassure them that this is not a normal illness."

The first symptoms of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis appear one to seven days after infection, including headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck, according to the CDC."

... when most of us studied amoebas in science class, at least for me ... they were just "curious one celled" organisms visible with a microscope. Now we have giant and dangerous amoebas, maybe they were always around even then, probably were.

Edited by monroe