mbr for hp probook 4520s

Hi

Help me.

It broke my HDD, i bought a new. A laptop is no longer under warranty. But I can not copy 1 to 1 old drive. Steaker Win 7 Pro 32bit is unreadable. I am looking for a bootstrap ( 446 byte ) or a custom code mbr for hp probook 4520s. Not working F11-then I will be able to run. Partition Recovery is undamaged.

P.s. sorry for my english

It's a problem. :(

See this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/131620-hp-notebook-the-recovery-partition-could-not-be-found/

There are several different MBR's used on different HP models.

In your case, I would try using an external boot device (like a USB stick) and grub4dos (only to boot from the recovery partition).

Then, once you will have hopefully restored the thingy, we'll see what can be done like using as a replacement MBLDR (or some other MBR).

In other words previous experience is that if the recovery partition is working, it's just a matter of making it boot (that can be done from grub4dos or other "advanced" bootmanager).

jaclaz

It's a problem. :(

See this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/131620-hp-notebook-the-recovery-partition-could-not-be-found/

There are several different MBR's used on different HP models.

In your case, I would try using an external boot device (like a USB stick) and grub4dos (only to boot from the recovery partition).

Then, once you will have hopefully restored the thingy, we'll see what can be done like using as a replacement MBLDR (or some other MBR).

In other words previous experience is that if the recovery partition is working, it's just a matter of making it boot (that can be done from grub4dos or other "advanced" bootmanager).

jaclaz

Thank You for your response.
So far, I made a copy of the old drive (50GB) for new (750GB). But I did fix the MBR, because windows is not turning it on and I lost access to the Recovery.
I converted BCD and I set the path to recovery partition. Do not work as I would have liked. I have no access to the Bios F11 ("The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"), but after getting to the start screen of Windows 7. Analyzing the mbr - sector zero was created mbr typical Microsoft's new signature drive and a new partition table in sector 32 HDD remainder of custom mbr. It seems to me that the initial 400 bytes of custom mbr (hybrid?) For my laptop HP Probook 4520s with Windows 7 32 bit equipped with UEFI Bios enough.
At the moment I have normal access from win7 to all of the partition :
1.System ( 300MB)
2.Windows 7 ( 448GB)
3.Recovery (15GB)
4.HP_Tools (2GB -FAT32)
greg
P.s. I use automatic translator so I do not know if everything is understandable

No, unfortunately not everything is understandable, and being this a "vital" matter, (to boot or not to boot, that is the question ;)), it is very important that we can exchange EXACT info.

This:

Analyzing the mbr - sector zero was created mbr typical Microsoft's new signature drive and a new partition table in sector 32 HDD remainder of custom mbr

cannot be understood, as well as:

It seems to me that the initial 400 bytes of custom mbr (hybrid?) For my laptop HP Probook 4520s with Windows 7 32 bit equipped with UEFI Bios enough.

The MBR is a single sector, the first absolute sector of a disk or LBA0.

Typically, if the HP came with Vista or 7, partitions will be aligned to "1 Mbyte", i.e. the first partition should start on sector LBA 2048 or CHS 0/32/33.

It is possible (but UNlikely) that a copy of the original MBR has been made and saved in any of the "hidden sectors".

Make a copy of the first 2048 sectors of the disk (by using dd or a similar program), compress it in a .zip or 7z archive and attach it to your next post.

When you use an online translator, there are some tricks that you can use:

1. use SHORT sentences

2. use SIMPLEST possible grammar/sentence structure

3 .imagine that you are talking to a child

4. try using the same online translator to translate back to the original language the result of the translation

5. if the result is different from the original, try using some different terms/construction of sentence

jaclaz

Do not work as I would have liked. I have no access to the Bios F11 ("The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible")

Your operating system (Windows 7 x86) is not supported on UEFI 2.3.1 hardware even in Legacy Mode. It does not work properly on that hardware. The most common issue is unable to boot where the first active partition DOES contain boot files but DOES NOT contain the OS.

Are you certain that your HP actually does have a UEFI BIOS? I would find it strange that HP would sell a PC that isn't supported by Microsoft.

No, unfortunately not everything is understandable, and being this a "vital" matter, (to boot or not to boot, that is the question ;)), it is very important that we can exchange EXACT info.

This:

Analyzing the mbr - sector zero was created mbr typical Microsoft's new signature drive and a new partition table in sector 32 HDD remainder of custom mbr

It seems to me that the initial 400 bytes of custom mbr (hybrid?) For my laptop HP Probook 4520s with Windows 7 32 bit equipped with UEFI Bios enough.

The MBR is a single sector, the first absolute sector of a disk or LBA0.

Typically, if the HP came with Vista or 7, partitions will be aligned to "1 Mbyte", i.e. the first partition should start on sector LBA 2048 or CHS 0/32/33.

It is possible (but UNlikely) that a copy of the original MBR has been made and saved in any of the "hidden sectors".

Make a copy of the first 2048 sectors of the disk (by using dd or a similar program), compress it in a .zip or 7z archive and attach it to your next post.

When you use an online translator, there are some tricks that you can use:

1. use SHORT sentences

2. use SIMPLEST possible grammar/sentence structure

3 .imagine that you are talking to a child

4. try using the same online translator to translate back to the original language the result of the translation

5. if the result is different from the original, try using some different terms/construction of sentence

jaclaz

This:

enclosed 2 files ;

mbr sector_0 00h-1F0h - overwritten by windows

mbrsector_32 original -after copying hdd ( hybrid mbr?)

in sector 1,2,3, are all zeros (00h)

the system starts up

when you press F11 at startup Recovery does not start.

application Recovery starts when you see the windows startup win7 (where are the other options)

IHMO HP has an unusual MBR - in the first 400 bytes is probably a reference to sector 32

looking for first 400 bytes Mbr-I want to check my assumptions

additionally attached bcd.txt

out.7z

Do not work as I would have liked. I have no access to the Bios F11 ("The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible")

Your operating system (Windows 7 x86) is not supported on UEFI 2.3.1 hardware even in Legacy Mode. It does not work properly on that hardware. The most common issue is unable to boot where the first active partition DOES contain boot files but DOES NOT contain the OS.

Are you certain that your HP actually does have a UEFI BIOS? I would find it strange that HP would sell a PC that isn't supported by Microsoft.

quote from the English Wikipedia
"In 2008, more x86-64 systems adopted UEFI. While many of these systems still allow booting only the BIOS-based OSes via the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) (thus not appearing to the user to be UEFI-based), other systems started to allow booting UEFI-based OSes. For example, IBM x3450 server, MSI motherboards with ClickBIOS, all HP EliteBook Notebook and Tablet PCs, newer HP Compaq Notebook PCs (e.g., 6730b, 6735b, etc.)."
My laptop (produced in 2010) has UEFI ( EFI Insyde )1.x.x - disabled in the BIOS window -not GPT partition .
Pressing F6 starts without turning on the windows 7 eg Quickweeb
pressing F5 does not work Quicklook
Mbr is overwritten because it is incompatible with microsoft .
greg

txh

HP advises service-buy CD Recovery

and I need only 400 bytes mbr

greg

greg :),
it is not like I do not trust you, but I do not trust you. :whistle:
I asked you the INTEGRAL copy of the first 2048 sectors in your disk, and NOT the copy of first sector and of sector (maybe) LBA32.

Your partition table is as follows:

Entry Type Boot bCyl bHead bSect eCyl eHead eSec StartSector NumSectors
#0 07 80 0 32 33 38 94 56 2048 614400
#1 07 00 38 94 57 1023 254 63 616448 940494848
#2 07 00 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 941111296 31455232
#3 0C 00 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 972566528 4204544

and though the size of the boot partition is not "normal" , that is usually 200 Mb (for the preview of Windows 7) and 100 Mb for the RTM version, in your case it is 300 Mb. :unsure:, it is well possible that for whatever reason the good HP guys made it non-standard, as I have seen similar reports of 300 Mb partitions, this is similar to your situation:

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/backup-restore/212640d1379310710t-cannot-return-computer-factory-condition-after-partition-editing-disk-management-2.jpg

The contents of "sector 32" appear as "hex garbage" (as expected BTW).

@all

Please let's put aside the debate over BIOS vs. UEFI, as it has NOTHING connected to the issue at hand, which is about the "special" MBR CODE that allows, pressing F11 to start the recovery process.

@greg,

the issue is that - depending on the period - HP may have used one or the other of several third party tools to create the "special" MBR, as discussed on the already given thread:

Such "special" MBR's are created for the specific machines/models and we have not found (yet) a way to reproduce them (and or even know which specific tool has been used as - as seen in that thread - over time several different tools were used by the HP engineers).

Now, it is well possible that a copy of the original MBR (or of just the code of it) is stored *somewhere* on the recovery partition and can be retrieved/restored from it, and it is as well possible that by initiating the recovery procedure the whole disk (including the MBR) will be restored to "factory state".

It is well possible that *somewhere* inside the "HP tools" or the "Recovery" partition there is a copy of the proprietary program that installs the "special" MBR.

What it is not clear (to me) is if you are willing to start a "recovery" from the recovery partition or not.

If yes, it should be possible, as said, to initiate it from a USB stick (or a CD/DVD) with grub4dos on it.

If you want to try doing the recovery process, post so, and I will guide you (hopefully) through starting it.

Alternatively, like in the already mentioned thread, I can try and help you install an open source bootmanager that may be able to replace the "special" MBR (but you will likely need to use F10 instead of F11 as hotkey):

jaclaz