bigmuscle

with NoelC's themeatlas i get rounded corners no matter what settings i use, is it supposed to be that way?

Yes, I use some tricks of light and shadow in the drop shadow portion of the theme atlas to give the appearance slightly rounded corners.  I like 'em that way.  :)

-Noel

1.2.5 in and working perfectly here.  I just overlaid the files from the .7z after renaming the old ones to xxxx.xxx_1.2.1.  I assumed there's no need to reinstall if 1.21 was working fine.

[2014-05-08 12:15:50][0x2084:0x2704] Aero Glass for Win8.1 v1.2.5 x64 correctly loaded (C:\BIN\dwmglass.dll).
[2014-05-08 12:15:50][0x2084:0x1E70] dwmcore.dll version 6.3.9600.17041
[2014-05-08 12:15:50][0x2084:0x1E70] udwm.dll version 6.3.9600.17031

For those who may not have noticed, I have recently slightly updated my themeatlas.png file to clean up the faux rounded corners just a bit.  I don't know if Big Muscle has my latest version on his page.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/themeatlas.png

AeroGlass121ScreenGrab.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

AERO GLASS for Win8.1 1.2.5

* hardcoded symbol patterns for Win8.1 Spring2014 update

* some minor fixes

* added setup option to adjust access permissions for those who don't know how to set them on their own.

Where is the link for this new update?  The website still shows v1.2.1

Just saw NoelC's post.  I will do what he did.  :)

Edited by dhjohns

Just keep in mind that If you replace the files, you'll either need to reboot to get the new Aerohost.exe running or stop it via the Task Scheduler, log out/in, then start it again.

-Noel

with NoelC's themeatlas i get rounded corners no matter what settings i use, is it supposed to be that way?

Yes, I use some tricks of light and shadow in the drop shadow portion of the theme atlas to give the appearance slightly rounded corners.  I like 'em that way.  :)

-Noel

Noel with the previous release of aeroglass i was not getting rounded corners with your atlas, so i guess thats an improvement in the latest version, awesome job bigmuscle :)

Interesting...

I ran some RDP connections FROM my workstation to other systems today, something I have not done in a long time.

The borders and title bar of the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) window on the system I'm connecting from composite okay, but the drop shadow elements from the themeatlas file are simply missing.  Everything else you'd expect is there - the buttons, the glow behind the title, the glass effect...

mstscMissingDropShadows.png

The Aero Glass effects are passed through from the controlled Windows 8.1 system just fine, courtesy of RemoteFX.  What I'm talking about is the borders of the mstsc.exe windows on the controlling system.

This is likely not an issue with Aero Glass for Win 8.1 at all, but probably a quirk having to do with the implementation of mstsc itself.  I hadn't noticed it before because I simply hadn't been using my workststion to make RDP connections to other systems before now.

It's not a big deal, but most likely just another side effect of Microsoft eliminating Aero Glass, then their own programmers taking shortcuts since they no longer have to normally do drop shadows anyway.  Other windows I've noticed without drop shadows include Outlook 365 and the Avast UI.

Sigh, I guess we have seen the golden age of UI style come and go.  :-(

-Noel

Is there a topic where we can all post screenshots of our beautiful desktop with Aero Blur ?

That could be a great idea.

I will test the latest version on my Win 8.1 laptops.

Has anyone been able with any possible tool to have a taskbar really close to the one on Windows 8 with Aero Blur ? I miss me so much.

Opaque Taskbar is not making for me the job.

THanks.

AERO GLASS for Win8.1 1.2.5

* hardcoded symbol patterns for Win8.1 Spring2014 update

* some minor fixes

* added setup option to adjust access permissions for those who don't know how to set them on their own.

Thank you bigmuscle for the update, working great for me. ;)

gontie

AERO GLASS for Win8.1 1.2.5 with aerolite Hack and BlurDeviation setting, are working great on my Taskbar and Window Borders and StartIsBack. :angel

BlurDeviation setting can turn blur off, and give full blur, ON Taskbar and Window Borders and StartIsBack. :yes:

Has anyone been able with any possible tool to have a taskbar really close to the one on Windows 8 with Aero Blur ? I miss me so much.

Seems to me you can get it pretty close to what an older system used to look like through tweaking of the Color Intensity, etc. in Windows and also the various parameters in the registry that Big Muscle provides support for...

What about it, specifically, do you find troublesome to look at?  Keep in mind the implementation of the theme may have more to do with the differences you're sensing than the actual blur.  Could you be missing the border, or maybe the different, more "glossy" style on buttons, etc?  Of course I don't know what your Win 8 system used to look like.

Examples:

Windows 7 standard Aero Glass theme:

Win7TaskBar.png

Windows 8.1 with Aero Glass for Win 8.1 with similar color choices to the above:

Win8TaskBar.png

-Noel 

Edited by NoelC

Does anybody know why Microsoft had to remove the classic theme in the first place? It reminds me of good typography where one is supposed to NOT notice the page design so one can go about actually reading the content. The classic theme is just so stripped away of all nonsense that I can actually focus on my work so I can get somewhere in life.........

Edited by bulldows95

Hmm, Just an idea, but doesn't windows run Trim on SSDs? That could be another source of headaches. You may want to also check if there are any problems with Windows 8.1 on the Crucial web site also.

EDIT : AEROGLASS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OF THAT BUG ... :S :( still have to look what's wrong with that system grrrrr

Hello,

Recently i upgraded my classic sata hard drive to an ssd and i got a serious bug, it took me 2 days to find out that Aeroglass was the responsible of that bug. 

About a week have same problem but after update 1 of Windows 8.1 and updating firmware of my SSD SP Velox V30. After some time when PC is idle or seeing videos my SSD disables and all freezes only mouse and keyboard works and opened windows. If wait about 2 min i got a BSOD "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" or "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" whithout dump.Read and looking for reasons but i find

1st i think that problem in TRIM of my SSD. But all tests of my SSD even make full surface test - no errors. Run TRIM manually - all works perfectly.

My suggestion:  Visit forums dedicated to problem solving and tuning SSD operations.

Chances are the problems you're seeing are unrelated to Aero Glass for Win 8.1.

-Noel

Thanks guys for the advice :)

the bug was generated by intel sata controller driver :(... it's corrected now, will test and see hope it's okay now...

i was really thinking to downgrade to seven. even putted back my win 7 on an other partition lol...

Any way thanks

and thanks big muscle for the new version

Windows 8.1 x64:

Usable Clear Glass, with AutoHotkey and Regedit. (NO DWMGlass.dll OR WinaeroGlass.exe used)

This PC:
http://s29.postimg.org/x50e9s3dz/This_PC.jpg

StartIsBack:
http://s4.postimg.org/uzut7bpot/Start_Is_Back.jpg

NOTES:
Just TESTING different ways to get aero glass / glass, DWMGlass.dll is the best available method.

Edited by ace2

I guess that nothing more than layered windows hack - it has nothing to do with Aero Glass effect.

What is layered windows hack ?

Yes, it has nothing to do with Aero Glass effect, just showing what can be done with a very simple script. :angel