bigmuscle

Thanks Junior, I didn't see this until now, I have my preferences set to receive email notification of a response. Or maybe for some reason your reply is not one that I would be notified of?

Anyway, I downloaded the version for my 64 bit updated 8.1, opened the zipped folder, clicked on the "exe" file inside, I saw a window blink on my screen and nothing happened.  Clearly I'm not a high level user, as only then did I go back to the website and see that I should have downloaded the "installer" version. Two questions:

1) is there anything I need to undo as a result of having clicked that aeroglass.exe, and

2) I read the other day (somewhere) of complications when using the installer version, but can't find what or where. Does anybody have experience with that download, with any warnings or advice?

Thanks!

Do a system restore to the time before you attempted to use it. Then follow the instructions from http://www.glass8.eu/ It easy to get it working. I been using it on Windows 8.1 64-bit for ages with no trouble

Thanks to all of you!  @junior, this is a pretty new computer, and I did a zillion thinks since the last restore point (one day I'll think to create restore points before doing experimental and/or stupid things) so I'm thinking of just removing the 4 leftover aerohost files I found using search.

OFF TOPIC related story: I actually did decide to do the restore earlier, and was glad it failed once I realized all the work I would have lost, however I wanted to mention why it failed. I forgot to disable AVG, which got me to thinking: how many years will Windows refuse to add a note to the restore wizard to "turn off virus protection before conducting a restore". It goes through most of the restore before finally realizing it can't finish. This time I was glad however!

I forgot to disable AVG, which got me to thinking: how many years will Windows refuse to add a note to the restore wizard to "turn off virus protection before conducting a restore".

Just a quick note, not all antivirus programs interfere with restore. That is why a note is not there.

I agree with bigmuscle, restore does not really affect Aeroglass.

Thanks to all of you!  @junior, this is a pretty new computer, and I did a zillion thinks since the last restore point (one day I'll think to create restore points before doing experimental and/or stupid things) so I'm thinking of just removing the 4 leftover aerohost files I found using search.

OFF TOPIC related story: I actually did decide to do the restore earlier, and was glad it failed once I realized all the work I would have lost, however I wanted to mention why it failed. I forgot to disable AVG, which got me to thinking: how many years will Windows refuse to add a note to the restore wizard to "turn off virus protection before conducting a restore". It goes through most of the restore before finally realizing it can't finish. This time I was glad however!

I know this is not a system restore forum, but system restore does not affect documents and such.  Also, I have never had a problem on Windows 8.1 using system restore with virus protection turned on.  Of course, I use the built-in Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (free.)  In any case you would not need system restore for Bigmuscle's Aeroglass because all you need to do is delete the folder!

By-the-way, who is this Junior guy?

Edited by dhjohns

...once I realized all the work I would have lost...

May I suggest getting an external USB drive and instituting nightly VSS-integrated system image backups (doable by scheduling a wbadmin command).

1 - You'll have your system backed up in case something bad happens.

2 -  You'll automatically have volume snapshots made every night, any one of which you can choose to restore data or your entire system from.

-Noel

Edit:  Stupid forum changes b ) (without space between) to b)

Edited by NoelC

...once I realized all the work I would have lost...

May I suggest getting an external USB drive and instituting nightly VSS-integrated system image backups (doable by scheduling a wbadmin command).

1 - You'll have your system backed up in case something bad happens.

2 -  You'll automatically have volume snapshots made every night, any one of which you can choose to restore data or your entire system from.

-Noel

Edit:  Stupid forum changes b ) (without space between) to B)

Is that why it is called wBADmin, in case something BAD happens?   :thumbup

Edited by dhjohns

I like that.  When something bad happens, minimize your chances of loss of data.

wbadmin start backup -allCritical -vssFull -quiet -backupTarget:G:\

This takes a long time to copy all the data on your critical volumes the first time, then becomes incremental thereafter. 

The Volume Snapshot Subsystem, responsible for making shadow copies, is one of the things Microsoft got very right. 

At the moment I have 23 shadow copies of my 2 TB system volume on my 3 TB backup drive, any one of which can be used to do a bare metal restore or provide files for restoral through a 3rd party tool like Z-VSSCopy.  Additionally, as a side effect of the backup, I have 9 nightly restore points on my system volume itself.

ShadowCopiesAvailable.png

Ask yourself, can you restore any and all data from any time up to 3 weeks ago?

-Noel

Edit:  Stupid forum changes b ) (without space between) to B)

In this case it is not - just for the record - specific to the current stupid board software, but it is a more generic issue with (still a "bad") implementation of "BBCODE":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

specifically not inserting them into square brackets (but a number of other board softwares use this "simplified approach" causing exactly this issue). 

On other news, that the IP Board software (and the chosen CKeditor component and their interactivity with BBCODE) cannot be defined if not as "terrible" or "awful" is by now re-known and confirmed by everyone:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/382067-ipb-bbcode-and-concerns-about-its-future/

let's hope that in the next 4.0 version the good invision guys will be able - as promised - to put together their act.

jaclaz

I have so much egg on my face I'm thinking of frying it up for breakfast (late breakfast!).  First, not realizing that we all have names in the blue bar (well hidden, eh?) and, well, the rest shows my lack of technical savvy.  I found no folder for Aero Glass, just a couple files left over from my dumb attempt to install by clicking the .exe (aerohost) which I mistaken called, in an earlier post, aeroglass.exe. (the first egg).  I'm still having a bit of trepidation as I have a special talent for making the simplest things go wrong when it comes to all things install/uninstall/restore/reinstall.  Usually because I either mistakenly follow user group guidance, or just get "good try" guidance.  Thanks again to y'all...

I have so much egg on my face I'm thinking of frying it up for breakfast (late breakfast!).  First, not realizing that we all have names in the blue bar (well hidden, eh?) and, well, the rest shows my lack of technical savvy.  I found no folder for Aero Glass, just a couple files left over from my dumb attempt to install by clicking the .exe (aerohost) which I mistaken called, in an earlier post, aeroglass.exe. (the first egg).  I'm still having a bit of trepidation as I have a special talent for making the simplest things go wrong when it comes to all things install/uninstall/restore/reinstall.  Usually because I either mistakenly follow user group guidance, or just get "good try" guidance.  Thanks again to y'all...

Just do it.

I'm getting a new convertible laptop (one that you can detach the monitor from, and use as a tablet). Can I install aeroglass on it? Would it work while the machine works as a laptop? (When used as a tablet, obviously it won't work as it will be using the metro interface.) Would there be any issues when detaching or reataching the screen?

I'm getting a new convertible laptop (one that you can detach the monitor from, and use as a tablet). Can I install aeroglass on it? Would it work while the machine works as a laptop? (When used as a tablet, obviously it won't work as it will be using the metro interface.) Would there be any issues when detaching or reataching the screen?

It will still work. You have to at first configure aeroglass to run on battery