"OK! OK! We'll Support It!" LOL

Jody Thornton

Like you can see I'm using XP and I'm glad to read about more support BUT...

I NEVER download Windows updates, I'm updating only my security programs like AV. In this way my XP is always faster!

Agorima, Panda Cloud confirmed that it's support for XP will continue after April 2014.

ClamAV is still supporting even 98 SE.

BitComet also.

Most probably Daemon Tools too will support XP.

That's all I know.

I NEVER download Windows update

can't go more stupid than this

basically you rely on your AV for everything

while known backdoors and weakness are still there

Looks like we will never have the same point of view with you but I really don't know what exactly this updates do more than making your Windows 20 GB+ and slowing it down like a turtle. When I was using 7 I was downloading everything. My initial boot time was ~ 30 sec. after 3 years it was around 1 min. and 30 sec. Without updating my XP it remained fast for years. And virus scanning (1 for 3 months) detected from nothing to 1-2 adware things. After using AdBlock this never happened again and my PC is clean. The only update which is worth is the SP.

Oh, BULLsquat! 20+gb? Nonsense! FUD!!! Roughly 250mb for the Critical Updates beyond SP3. Anything else is "add-ons". IOW, PROVE it! I have -more- than the usual "junkware" installed and STILL have less than that! Please stop misleading people.

Oh, BULLsquat! 20+gb? Nonsense! FUD!!! Roughly 250mb for the Critical Updates beyond SP3. Anything else is "add-ons". IOW, PROVE it! I have -more- than the usual "junkware" installed and STILL have less than that! Please stop misleading people.

I'm not talking about XP updates but anyway it's always better to believe yourself. ;)

As I said...

Win2K3 Partition (essentially a "super" WinXP) - 20gb allocated, 2gb free and LOADED, including a Fully Updated Symantec Antivirus (you may call it "bloated" with the Definitions).

Again, I call BS, since -

1 - The Initial Post spoke of Updating XP (yes, that's the subject)

2 - Follow-ups reference AntiVirus -only- (on XP, yes, that's the subject)

So yes, lets -do- talk about XP... :yes: If you have 20gb+, then that's on you, regardless of your -assertions- that you don't Update Windows XP because of the space considerations. :blink: Look back at the comments -you- made and the corresponding responses. ;) (and the -other- threads as well...)

edit - And I pose this to you - you are WAAAAAY Off-Topic. Ask yourself - what's the Subject Matter of the Topic?

Edited by submix8c

... I really don't know what exactly this updates do more than making your Windows 20 GB+ and slowing it down like a turtle. ... Without updating my XP it remained fast for years. ... The only update which is worth is the SP.

I'm not talking about XP updates ...

OK I give up. What are you talking about then?

Cheers and Regards

... I really don't know what exactly this updates do more than making your Windows 20 GB+ and slowing it down like a turtle. ... Without updating my XP it remained fast for years. ... The only update which is worth is the SP.

I'm not talking about XP updates ...

OK I give up. What are you talking about then?

Cheers and Regards

I had posted wondering two things:

(a) Would Microsoft at the last minute (no matter what they have previously insisted upon) cave in and provide further updates for Windows XP, since the remaining user base is simply too high, and thus perceived as a security threat to IT.

(b-) If all versions of Windows (XP/Vista/7/8) receives updates on April 8, 2014, wouldn't Windows XP continue to be up to date (at least as any other version of Windows) until Patch Tuesday in May 2014? I only ask because Microsoft warns of zero-day exploits and what not on April 9, 2014; yet it isn't until a month later when Vista, 7 and 8 receive updates that XP does not. Is that clear? I think I said that right....lol

Edited by JodyThornton

I had posted wondering two things:

(a-) Would Microsoft [...]

(b-) [...] wouldn't Win XP continue to be up to date (at least as any other version of Windows) until Patch Tuesday in May 2014? [...]

(a-) I wouldn't bet on it, MS is set on moving on, and leaving XP in the past, so to say.

(b-) Sure. Of course.

(b-) If all versions of Windows (XP/Vista/7/8) receives updates on April 8, 2014, wouldn't Windows XP continue to be up to date (at least as any other version of Windows) until Patch Tuesday in May 2014? I only ask because Microsoft warns of zero-day exploits and what not on April 9, 2014; yet it isn't until a month later when Vista, 7 and 8 receive updates that XP does not. Is that clear? I think I said that right....lol

XP will be patched against the same threats as the newer OSes come 2014/04/09. It's not quite accurate to say "as secure as," since the newer OSes have additional safeguards like address space layout randomization (ASLR) that XP will never have. The moment a new threat appears, all affected OSes will be vulnerable, not just XP. The problem is that XP will never receive an update to patch that exploit. The moment Microsoft releases patches for that vulnerability the newer OSes will be covered. MS may even feel the need to release an out-of-band update--well before Patch Tuesday. But XP will remain vulnerable to it for ever. Unless you're still using XPx64... ;)

Edited by 5eraph

Jody, my post was meant for RacerBG. I kinda thought that was obvious with my post and the discussion immediately above it. :) I knew what your questions were.

Cheers and Regards

Jody, my post was meant for RacerBG. I kinda thought that was obvious with my post and the discussion immediately above it. :) I knew what your questions were.

Cheers and Regards

Cheers and Regards

I had never tried to update XP (20GB+ was my Windows 7 after 3 years non stop updates). I was just trying to say that for me updates are useless no matter what Windows I use. Anyway looks like I'm the only one who avoid Windows Update. :D

out of context quote; :angel

and I'll take any 3rd party app solution over what MS imposes as "truth" or their "model for..." whatever crap

very out of context -_-

and this was quite a dirty trick by you -_-

Looks like we will never have the same point of view with you but I really don't know what exactly this updates do more than making your Windows 20 GB+ and slowing it down like a turtle.

some are relevant, not all, I agree many hotfixes, especially in SP2 screwed the OS

but those that are for system level & kernel, I do agree user should have

btw quoting system on this board sucks !