Aero Glass for Win8 1.3

Some time ago I tried Aero Glass, it didn't work so I removed it and waited for the 1.0. However, a few days ago I noticed that it somehow messed up the color section and now I can't change it anymore, I get a "There was a problem loading a pre-set color" error message and I can't do anything. If I create a new account this doesn't happen so it must be something within the account I'm using and not system-wide.

What can I do in order to reset the color values?

Edited by Kyler9

One of the things, in my Windows tuning book, that I advise people to do is to consider deconfiguring the NTFS feature that generates short filenames.

If you don't actually have any programs that use them - and these would generally be ANCIENT programs at this point - then the system runs more efficiently AND you don't have situations like what you described occur.

As I recall, (and my memory isn't what it used to be) it seems to me BigMuscle said some time during the beta testing period that the installation folder should be one that has 8 characters or less in the name. I chose C:\BIN myself.

-Noel

Not that much of a noob.. system is already NTFS, first thing I checked when I bought the computer.

I wasn't accusing you - the setting to which I'm referring isn't just "already NTFS". It's a setting you can change in NTFS to tell it not to bother to generate the short filenames for compatibility. Programs that use short filenames won't work; that's all. Thing is, no programs should be using short filenames nowadays. BigMuscle apparently uses it to get around a name length limitation deep in the system, but you won't need that if you install Aero Glass for Win8 into a folder whose name is 8 characters or less in length.

This is the command line tool that you can use to query it is as follows. A related command can be used to change it.

fsutil 8dot3name query

-Noel

Some time ago I tried Aero Glass, it didn't work so I removed it and waited for the 1.0. However, a few days ago I noticed that it somehow messed up the color section and now I can't change it anymore, I get a "There was a problem loading a pre-set color" error message and I can't do anything. If I create a new account this doesn't happen so it must be something within the account I'm using and not system-wide.

What can I do in order to reset the color values?

I had this problem I fixed it by installing Aero Glass final and letting it install custom swatches, then I had double of each color, when I uninstalled it, it when back to normal.

I had this problem I fixed it by installing Aero Glass final and letting it install custom swatches, then I had double of each color, when I uninstalled it, it when back to normal.

Thank you! It worked.

Edited by Kyler9

bzoley: problem is not HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key but HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT...

Windows8RTMUser: http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html

Thanks for this, since I uninstalled AGTweaker and Aero Glass 0.95 and installed v1.0 I've been going nuts trying to figure out why it was bringing up the black screen for minutes on boot, changed the HKEY_CURRENT_USER value which disabled my custom theme but didn't help the problem, then changed the HKEY_USERS value and now I have my custom theme and normal boot times. Saved me a Windows 8 reinstall.

Edit: Also running dual monitors and can confirm that both taskbars are working fine with AG 1.2.

Edited by jpollard

Errors in AeroGlass 1.2

83f70cf9a306.jpg

I have same in IE10, I did not know it was a bug but you are correct it does not appear in Windows explorer windows.

Edit, now I am confused as it does look same in any window, I have not used any tweaks to get the narrow borders have you?

I think its meant to be like that as I can see my desktop through these borders.

Edited by helmutcheese

I am still getting a black taskbar on my second monitor. I have tried all the aforementioned fixes, but it is still happening. The first monitor renders the taskbar with no issue, but when I enable the bar on the second monitor, it flashes correctly and reverts immediately back to black. I have been using ActualMultipleMonitors for my second taskbar, but the glass effect does not get applied to it and the look is slightly off from the primary taskbar (my OCD kicks in there). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am still getting a black taskbar on my second monitor. I have tried all the aforementioned fixes, but it is still happening. The first monitor renders the taskbar with no issue, but when I enable the bar on the second monitor, it flashes correctly and reverts immediately back to black. I have been using ActualMultipleMonitors for my second taskbar, but the glass effect does not get applied to it and the look is slightly off from the primary taskbar (my OCD kicks in there). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have startisback go into the settings and disable taskbar translucency. For some odd reason that worked for me.

Arr0w: it is bug in your theme.

Can You Fix It?

Custom theme: Sample (unfinished) theme based on Windows 8 Release Preview

As an alternative, try this:

• Return to the Windows 8 standard theme.
  • Have Aero Glass for Win 8 do a theme atlas replacement via the CustomThemeResource registry entry.

Here is a simple one I've developed that yields decent drop shadows and nice, clean borders.

http://noel.prodigitalsoftware.com/ForumPosts/themeatlas.png

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

CustomThemeResource"="C:\\BIN\\themeatlas.png"

(you'll need to set the folder to whatever you use; keep it short and simple)

You may see an increase in system reliability by using the Win 8 Aero implementation instead of a fully custom theme, while retaining a nice clean look with drop shadows and a hint of rounded corners. For me it simultaneously feels more modern and still provides the things I like about an Aero Glass desktop.

AeroGlassExcerpt2.png

-Noel

Does this work with Windows 8.1 final?

I installed it on my Windows 8.1 machine and at logon it says themepanell.dll or whatever is not compatible. Can someone provide me instructions to disable/uninstall Aero Glass 1.2 :angel