Windows 8.1 Impressions

Jody Thornton

I was just curious as to what impressions had about what was coming down the pipe. Will the Start Menu return? What are changes are expected?

Personally I'm hoping for a re-inclusion of the classic (non-skinned) desktop, but I won't hold my breath.

I installed a leak version of Win 8.1 (perhaps build 9385). No Start Menu. Can't say much about it either because I removed it after 2 hours of exploring. Not sure why I couldn't install Net framework 3.5. As a result, I couldn't run some needed applications.

I'll wait for a better official version to try. Now I am pleased with current Win 8 I am having.

so MS shows some new things:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

You can now have different tile sizes

Start_2D00_screen_2D00_High_2D00_res_5F00_2919DBB2.png

and use the desktop wallpaper as "metro" background:

Start_2D00_with_2D00_wallpaper_2D00_High_2D00_res_5F00_313398B8.png

and you'll get the startbutton (not the menu :( ) back.

Win 8.1 will also include the IE11.

• 4 weeks later...

ok, 8.1 Preview is now available.

Does anyone who hated Win8 now likes 8.1? Me not, it is the same like Win8 + a few things which should already be part of Win 8 (boot to desktop). If bigmuscle and thihy get their projetcs to work I may upgrade, if not I'll stay at Win8.

Read this first completely

[FAQ] Things to Know Before Downloading or Installing Windows 8.1 Preview

1. Windows 8.1 Preview is a testing version not the final version and you might face problems while using the OS.
You should not upgrade Windows 8 or other Windows versions to Windows 8.1 Preview for 2 reasons:

First reason is that if you upgrade your existing Windows version to Windows 8.1 Preview, you'll not be able to uninstall the Preview version in future. You'll need to reinstall previous Windows version using setup or recovery disc.

Second reason is that when Windows 8.1 final version will release and you decide to upgrade Windows 8.1 Preview to final version, you'll not be able to keep your 3rd party software and apps which you installed in the OS. You'll need to reinstall them.

How to Download and Install Windows 8.1 Free Preview? Upgrade or Dual Boot with Windows 8

As an iso or an Update

Since I see it is available I'll have to install and take a look at it.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Glad that finally there is a seperate topic to talk about Windows 8.1!

I downloaded and installed these versions of W8: W8 DP, W8 CP, W8 RP and finally W8 RTM, which became W8 Pro with Media Center afterwards. They are all ISO files and I installed them new on an empty partition. And with every new version of W8, I had to install quite a few applications again so that I could use Windows in a comfortable way. I also had to go through the settings of each application to choose what options I feel like the most. It took a lot of time to do this and it was the most boring thing to do in my opinion!

I want something different this time, so I've chosen to update the current W8. I don't know if anyone here has the same choice as I have. It would be nice if other people who have already installed or tried W8.1 would come to share their own images of W8.1 as well as their thoughts, likes and dislikes about this new version too.

Edit: remove attachments

Edited by Aloha

I'm downloading full iso so I may just dual boot it with trusty 7 but you can just install the update from app store. Read the FAQ cause you will have to put back win 8 when full version is released.

MaxXPsoft,

I already made an image of the current W8 as well as a system recovery USB.

According to the second reason you quoted I understand that I can update W8.1 preview to W8.1 final. I only have to install all the applications again at that time.

Do you know how long we will be able to use this preview version before the final version comes into existence? Hope it's not less than 3 months.

Then can you move this topic back to Win 8 forum, Tripredacus? It's a preview version just like the others. DP, CP and RP that we used to talk about in W8 forum.