why did css3 kill the web?

see, when css 2/2.1 came out, ALL browsers were forced to either obey the standard or get lost

and it was beautiful era

but now, with css 3 all I see are prefixes for different thigs

Opera has -o

Firefox has -moz

Webkit crap has -webkit

and for what ?

why ?

do they render things differently ?

maybe I'm stupid but shouldn't a common standard worth for ALL ?

who and why was behind this ?

The vendor prefixes are designed to allow for backwards compatibility with older browsers. They are meant to be temporary. But I think that as long as these concessions are made to older browsers, the longer they will stay around (hello IE6-7) making developers think they need to keep that compatibility there.

that doesn't make sense

when css3 was introduced, you have declared how something should behave and what "code" to use

I do understand that sometime due to next version rush browsers partially implement something

but prefixes won't help in that matter

1 unified rule/code for something, either it will work, or it won't ...

I'm so p***ed because all engines have their own set of code different from each other in some areas

instead they should all share 1 unified

• 3 months later...

It's a pain in the a**, but thankfully there are some plugins that take care of it for you - a small help in the meantime. There are also some properties I use often like border-radius and animation which require -webkit and -moz to work in in Chrome/Safari/FF at all, which is annoying, because that defeats the purpose of the legacy browser thing.

Prefix Free Looks pretty good, will probably give this a shot at some point.

jQuery css3 finalize

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think of it like this. It only effects you if your a web designer, who makes things appealing for viewers like kids, and retarded rich investors. That is it. CSS is stupid. You have one file, with the information and another file ( or process within a file ( like C within Java ) ), so the **** spies could cherry pick information.

If you mean like Ebay. You can't even browse ebay correctly without having java on. Why do you need java so badly ebay? Why do you need C for the internet so bad??? Just secure my transaction and do not spy on me, that is all I am asking.

To make things worst, this is all for the handheld users. So if something not good enough is on the web a person could complain, they could remove the design, and make a new one, while keeping the information intact.

My advice for non-slave driver web developers is not to use CSS, unless it has security features. I also understand the good things about it, but I wouldn't mind dealing with having CSS ( Java etc ) inside the webpage at all. I see tons of people using it all the time.

Edited by ROTS

• 5 years later...

CSS3 did not kill the web.

CSS3 SAVED the web. And is saving us from these evil JS frameworks. (jQuery is one of them)

Now that most browsers are standards-compliant (Thanks for the new Edge, Microsoft!) we will almost not suffer developing the sites for everyone.

I can do things like slide menu, modal, dropdown, carousel, all without JS thanks to CSS3 and some clever tricks.

We should all go back to writing vanilla JS and forget about jQuery really...

Another thing that is killing the web is Bootstrap and similar frameworks. People now forget how to code a proper website, they just throw a framework at it, a few tags and classes and it's done, call it a day. Now every site I visit was made with Bootstrap and there is simply almost no difference between them. Where's the creativity?

CSS frameworks should still exist, but we should do ours not use someone elses framework. I like to think of myself as a creative UI/UX Designer.

16 hours ago, Bruninho said:

I can do things like slide menu, modal, dropdown, carousel, all without JS thanks to CSS3 and some clever tricks.

Dropdown is not a great example to use here, you could do it without javascript before CSS3.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:47 PM, Bruninho said:

Now every site I visit was made with Bootstrap and there is simply almost no difference between them. Where's the creativity?

CSS frameworks should still exist, but we should do ours not use someone elses framework. I like to think of myself as a creative UI/UX Designer.

My reply is a 2 month old bump... but this, necessarily, is what caused the problem. Laziness, ease of throwing things together, slapping a bunch of ads together, internet becoming more of a profitable means of distribution = easy money for people.

The modern internet doesn't seem to stick out individually anymore though, it's all bland, and I guess it's down to ease of just throwing together things that way. I guess that also partly influenced (or vice versa) why a lot of big websites have over the past eight years or so removed many 'custom profiles' (making them more generic), and overall deprecating things that give a sense of community unless it is somehow profitable to do so for businesses as well.

My biggest concern is accessibility, which is essentially thrown out of the window for slower-developing countries with lesser access to fast-speed/always-on Internet; oh, and small-screen devices, due to the more-than-useless cookie consent banners the EU imposed on the world in 2012, that can't even dismiss the stupid prompts without messing with the zoom settings.

Edited by CosmoDreamy

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2020 at 4:17 PM, CosmoDreamy said:

My reply is a 2 month old bump... but this, necessarily, is what caused the problem. Laziness, ease of throwing things together, slapping a bunch of ads together, internet becoming more of a profitable means of distribution = easy money for people.

The modern internet doesn't seem to stick out individually anymore though, it's all bland, and I guess it's down to ease of just throwing together things that way. I guess that also partly influenced (or vice versa) why a lot of big websites have over the past eight years or so removed many 'custom profiles' (making them more generic), and overall deprecating things that give a sense of community unless it is somehow profitable to do so for businesses as well.

My biggest concern is accessibility, which is essentially thrown out of the window for slower-developing countries with lesser access to fast-speed/always-on Internet; oh, and small-screen devices, due to the more-than-useless cookie consent banners the EU imposed on the world in 2012, that can't even dismiss the stupid prompts without messing with the zoom settings.

The old pre-CSS 3 internet looked good as it was is. It wasn't bloated, it loaded fast most of the time, it looked better than most sites do today, and CSS 2 was universal.

Even some really old sites still look good to this day.

Take a guess as to how old this is

Here are some other archived websites that look better than their current versions

https://web.archive.org/web/20120815002314/http://www.google.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20131021165347/https://www.imdb.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20120315092009/http://www.newegg.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20131020212801/http://reviews.cnet.com/android-kitkat/

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 4:47 PM, Bruninho said:

CSS3 did not kill the web.

CSS3 SAVED the web. And is saving us from these evil JS frameworks. (jQuery is one of them)

Now that most browsers are standards-compliant (Thanks for the new Edge, Microsoft!) we will almost not suffer developing the sites for everyone.

We should all go back to writing vanilla JS and forget about jQuery really...

Another thing that is killing the web is Bootstrap and similar frameworks. People now forget how to code a proper website, they just throw a framework at it, a few tags and classes and it's done, call it a day. Now every site I visit was made with Bootstrap and there is simply almost no difference between them. Where's the creativity?

I agree, nobody knows how to make a website anymore.

Everybody uses a template and the end product looks awful.

I use mainly HTML + CSS3 and my policy is no JS unless absolutely necessary. Mainly advanced dropdowns and necessary logic. Most of my pages don't have any site JS. Thus, my website loads quickly and is accessible.

Also, I code every line myself. All the PHP, all the CSS, and most of the JS... (sometimes, I do use a small library for a specific task, b/c I hate JS).