Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Implementation from Explorer or the msstyles?

Explorer, msstyles, registry - all of them.

:} . I was hoping just the msstyles since that's just what I noticed because adding back the stuff in the msstyles would be quite easy.

Edited by PandaX

Version 2.1 RC0

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

New:

- Configurator fully supports high DPI modes / RTL languages

- Folders are sorted before items in All Programs XP style program subfolders

- Desktop toast is shown when new version is available

Fixed:

- Fixed 'Rename Start screen into Apps screen' feature breaking desktop app toast notifications

- Fixed 'When I close modern app - Return to last environment' feature not working as expected in 2.0.2

Please test 'Start screen to Apps screen' feature in this build.

Edited by Tihiy

Version 2.1 RC0

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_setupRC.exe

New:

- Configurator fully supports high DPI modes / RTL languages

- Folders are sorted before items in All Programs XP style program subfolders

- Desktop toast is shown when new version is available

Fixed:

- Fixed 'Rename Start screen into Apps screen' feature breaking desktop app toast notifications

- Fixed 'When I close modern app - Return to last environment' feature not working as expected in 2.0.2

Please test 'Start screen to Apps screen' feature in this build.

Could you please tell me if the animations will be 'fixed' or something, using transparency will make the animations look strange, I have to disable transparency to make them soft, like win7. I have no idea if that is a bug or they are supposed to work like that? Thank you.

Could you please tell me if the animations will be 'fixed' or something, using transparency will make the animations look strange, I have to disable transparency to make them soft, like win7. I have no idea if that is a bug or they are supposed to work like that? Thank you.

Unfortunately, transparency & animation does not work well with Windows 8. This may or may not be fixed in the future.

Unfortunately, transparency & animation does not work well with Windows 8. This may or may not be fixed in the future.

Disabling transparency and using Aero Glass 0.5 for Windows 8 will solve the problem, we have full aero with soft animations :). But the Aero Glass project is a bit laggy with my GPU(GTX 670M) idle clocks, so, for now I will disable transparency and enjoy the soft animations. I'm sure this can be fixed somehow. Thank you for your response.

Edited by Tusticles

In your FAQ's you state "Does StartIsBack "phone home"? No..." yet now you have "Desktop toast is shown when new version is available". You can't have it both ways. If you are going to have the software connect to the internet on it's own ("Phone Home") you should make that clear to everyone (both current and prospective users) right up front. IMHOP the best way would be to make "automatically check for updates" an opt-in only choice for the user, like most other user-friendly software. :)

Edited by maybe

IMHOP the best way would be to make "automatically check for updates" an opt-in only choice for the user, like most other user-friendly software. :)

It's opt-out like most software is. By not 'phoning home' I mean (and I believe it's common term) that software does not report any data about computer / user. And it doesn't; it only calls server with version of software to query if there's a new version.