MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

I mentioned it here when KEX18 was made https://msfn.org/board/topic/173233-kernelex-45-core-updates-45201617/?do=findComment&comment=1159232 In relation to that post I do not normally have trouble with SetFilePointerEx but that was the case as mentioned. Broken Sword - Secrets of the Ark the game is downloadable to try it and also Titan Quest also said virtual memory not enabled until I manually changed the string GlobalMemoryStatusEx >> GlobalMemoryStatus. I do not think that GlobalMemoryStatusEx in KEX4.5.2 works either but I will have to check.

I have checked and GlobalMemoryStatusEx does not work with KernelEx 4.5.2. The test I have done is a reliable method unless every single occurrence of  GlobalMemoryStatusEx has to be written into KEXBASES but I would not think this is a good procedure.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
  • 3 months later...

@jumper

LsaAddAccountRights is stubbed but we need LsaRemoveAccountRights stubbed as they go together in numerous cases or we can redirect functions to Pkmws.dll or Mssws.dll. Mssws is the better one vs 10.109.3705.2 original name "mssws9x.dll" from properties. They have these along with other sort after functions.

LsaAddAccountRights
LsaClose
LsaEnumerateAccountRights
LsaFreeMemory
LsaNtStatusToWinError
LsaOpenPolicy
LsaRemoveAccountRights
LsaRetrievePrivateData
LsaStorePrivateData 

Radmin32 has these

LsaAddPrivilegesToAccount
LsaClearAuditLog
LsaClose
LsaCreateAccount
LsaCreateSecret
LsaCreateTrustedDomain
LsaDelete
LsaEnumerateAccounts
LsaEnumeratePrivileges
LsaEnumeratePrivilegesOfAccount
LsaEnumerateTrustedDomains
LsaFreeMemory
LsaGetQuotasForAccount
LsaGetSystemAccessAccount
LsaICLookupNames
LsaICLookupSids
LsaLookupNames
LsaLookupPrivilegeDisplayName
LsaLookupPrivilegeName
LsaLookupPrivilegeValue
LsaLookupSids
LsaOpenAccount
LsaOpenPolicy
LsaOpenSecret
LsaOpenTrustedDomain
LsaQueryInformationPolicy
LsaQueryInfoTrustedDomain
LsaQuerySecret
LsaQuerySecurityObject
LsaRemovePrivilegesFromAccount
LsaSetInformationPolicy
LsaSetInformationTrustedDomain
LsaSetQuotasForAccount
LsaSetSecret
LsaSetSecurityObject
LsaSetSystemAccessAccount

NtFsControlFile is stubbed but I think from memory Kernel32 > DeviceIoControl will work.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
More related info
  • 3 weeks later...

What does the contents line in core.ini mean? I have this in core.ini

[BASE]
contents=Kexstubs,std,kexbasen,kexbases

Kstub824

desc=Base enhancements (api fixes + extensions)

Are those supposed to be names of dlls, ini files, or something else? Also why should there be a newline before Kstub842? I'm trying to get Firefox 45 running, and I don't really understand what I'm doing with Kext. Ktree9 says <error code: 2> <not found> for Kexstubs. Is there supposed to be a Kexstubs.dll that I'm missing?

The line under BASE is so that it is configurable and that the order of which the libraries are loaded makes/can make a difference from left to right. MIN is also loaded with BASE. MIN is required for Adobe reader 9. Kstub824 is not released just yet and it should be changed to Kstub823. This is what the error is I think and you should have Kstub823.dll and Kstub823.ini in your KernelEx folder. I posted as I would like to know if the order should be consistent or not kexbasen,kexbases as it changes in the Core.ini further down to the other way around.

I eventually figured it out. It seems that (with the exception of std) those are names of DLL files, and Kexstubs.dll requires a matching Kexstubs.ini file, or else it won't work.

What is the difference between kexbases.dll and kexbasen.dll?

One is used as a common setting system wide the other is specific for different applications/scenarios. I thought I read that Kexbasen was common but I am not 100% but because Kexbases has multiple functions of the same name then it suggests it is for specifics in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Hello. A little while back, a friendly samaritan (not naming him because he did not give me permission to give out his name) had compiled a AIO installer for KernelEx + Jumper's updates. Would anyone mind testing it? I am currently testing the software myself at the moment!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16wXXC5yL_dq_CWIJMfw-PaDWnTVEo09_/view?usp=sharing