USB Flash Drive

What can the reason for having very slow (<1 MB writing) transfers under Windows 2000 when copying files to a 16 GB USB flash drive?

The same flash drive works with 3,5 MB writing speed under Windows 7. Some time ago I also copied some files on it under XP and as far as I remember, transfers were normal.

Has anyone experienced such slow transfers specifically under Win2k?

Of course it's a USB 2.0 controller. I tested it on two different configurations and results are the same - transfers are slower on Win2k.

Anyways, I've kind of fixed this issue by using a copy manager called SuperCopier2. I've just tested a few different managers and this seems to be the fastest one. I used to use TeraCopy before but it was even slower than the default system manager which is also very slow.

Not only transfers are weak but also just exploring the drive is kind of slow. I think there must be some kind of a problem in a way Windows Explorer manages this flash drive.

I haven't worked with Win2000 for over 6 years, but is it possible to check how much power is assigned to USB, like through Device Manager or Group Policy Editor?

Just an idea. Also, have you checked the file system (probably FAT32) is OK?

Cheers

I don't know how to check the power but I don't think this is the issue as it happens on two different computers. I tried both FAT32 and NTFS but it seems to make no difference.

Use Microsoft's own USBView (v. 5.1.2600.2180) to see, on each machine, whether it is conecting as a 1.1 or 2.0 device. When you click on the device, on the tree at left, it'll show you the device descriptor on the panel at right; the first line of the descriptor is "bcdUSB", and it's possible values are 0x0100 (USB 1.0), 0x0110 (USB 1.1 ) or 0x0200 (USB 2.0)... underpowered or badly connected USB 2.0 devices often end up detected as 1.1, and USBView will show you how the system has detected the device, not what it says it is. BTW, USBView is standalone, you don't need to install it, you may even run it from the problem flash-drive itself. And consider that both the machines it has given problems with may have too small power sources or have too many devices attached to their USB ports, or any other power hungry resource eating up power from the 5 V power line.

Usually 2K is WAY faster than XP (cannot say about 7), at least on FAT formatted volumes.

However in my experience, I have seen sticks that were "sub-standard" on one OS or the other, when I was able to find the correct tool (Manufacturer Tool) a re-format at "low-level" usually fixed the problem.

More details/hints:

http://reboot.pro/14355/page__st__11

jaclaz

All my USB flash drives run at ~10+ MB/sec regardless of OS. But, on some older hardware it depends if you booted with the flash drive or inserted it later. The Device Manager will show if it's connected as an Enhanced (fast) device or a slow one. So... try a different flash drive and plug it in before booting.

Did you install Enhanced USB Hub Driver ?

I think it works on USB 1.1 mode.

What can the reason for having very slow (<1 MB writing) transfers under Windows 2000 when copying files to a 16 GB USB flash drive?

The same flash drive works with 3,5 MB writing speed under Windows 7. Some time ago I also copied some files on it under XP and as far as I remember, transfers were normal.

Has anyone experienced such slow transfers specifically under Win2k?

Edited by blackwingcat

• 1 month later...

I know it's quite a late reply :lol:

but it seems that it's only that one flash drive to work so slowly. I tried a few others and they seem to work O.K.

Anyway, thank you for your help :)