Project Shiva

I'm running out of time to fix up this PC. Tomorrow is the day I will get to work on it again. I have secured a PCI Wireless G card to test with, D-Link DWL-G510:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DWL-G510&rev=DWL-G510_revB

Has anyone used this one on 98?

If this works, I will have to turn G speed back on my router at home, and then my PS3 can go online again too!

Speaking of which, is there any media-streaming capabilities between Win98 and PS3? Do you think that the PS3 will be able to see the ShoutCast server once I get that up and running again?

• 4 years later...

Guess who's back! Today I had some time to fiddle with things after doing the chassis swap a couple weeks ago. First I wasn't getting any video using VGA on a tate LCD. So I tried a widescreen using DVI and nothing there. Then I reseated the video card and I got video.

BIOS splash screen

2015-01-01131735_zpsec37e1a3.jpg

Custom boot animation

2015-01-01131907_zps122d50b1.jpg

I had to reset the time and date. And it booted to a Fatal Exception but I didn't take note of it. So I rebooted and went into the BIOS and disabled the floppy drive because it wasn't lighting up during POST. Then I choose to boot into Safe Mode and it works. However the widescreen monitor has its own problems where it works fine if it is in the BIOS, or during boot but after a couple seconds of being in Windows, it turns off. I knew this already so it was no big deal. I then swapped over to the rate monitor and connected using DVI and it works too. I didn't fool around too much in there and restarted and chose to go into normal mode. This is the error:

2015-01-01132405_zpsd03ca3a9.jpg

I'll fiddle with this more later, for now time to watch a hockey game! Post any ideas about this fatal if you have them.

I'm sure it's doable. But I think you'll need to wait for jumper, RLoew, Xeno86 (if he's still keeping tabs on this forum) or Tihiy to tell you how to do it properly. But until they chime in, do reseat all memory sticks, just in case, as I've suggested above.

Just to be sure, pull the RAM sticks out, take a magnifying glass and look carefully at the contacts on both sides, make sure there's no sign of degradation. I've had such stick that used to throw BSODs every now and then and the only way to "fix" the issue was to put my hand inside the case and move parts, pushing into sockets. When I pulled that thing out and looked at it, some of the golden contacts were worn out.

For best results, take a pencil rubber and rub the contacts on both sides until they shine. That way you'll notice more quickly any possible defects and it'll also make better contact in the socket.

A MemTest86 boot disk would also come in handy. I'd recommend something that has this among other tools but I'm afraid it's considered *ahem* inappropriate here. ;)

MemTest86 and MemTest86+ are freely downloadable from their respective developers sites in bootable .iso format...

And there is also the Windows Memory Diagnostic, which is misnamed, because it's stand-alone and not a windows application (although the installer must be run inside windows), but that notwithstanding, it is free, it is from MS, and it is useful for memory diagnostic, too... and its original location is preserved here. I normally use MemTest86+ and if it finds nothing but I still think there is something to be found, then I give the Windows Memory Diagnostic a run.

Theoretically we could figure out what driver was loaded at 60E and that would identify the component we should be looking at.

In practice, if I get a blue screen at boot I just undo any BIOS or hardware changes I just made or restore the previous registry if I was tweaking Windows.

If the memory tests okay, boot with logging and compare the log to a known good one (if available).

As noted, the only hardware change that was made was changing to case. Of course all sorts of things could have happened in that process without anyone knowing. Since I am able to boot into Safe Mode, I was able to make a few changes in attempt to get it working, alas none have worked so far.

- disable all 4 Startup applications (only 2x ATI, scanregistry and systray)

- uninstalled video driver

- there is no Symevnt.386 present in registry or in system.ini, no Symantec software is installed

- bootlog.txt did not have any errors in it that I could see. Last entries are loading fonts (and it complains it can't load)

- step-by-step went through all drivers. I have the last one I chose yes to, but I wrote it down at home. Will post later.

POST sometimes will say battery is low. I will change the CMOS battery as well.

I will run memtest later.

You may also want to consider checking the hard drive for bad sectors (using HDAT2 or other similar tool). Also try to reseat all cables (at both ends), check out any jumpers on the motherboard making sure they're firmly inserted and also make sure there's no shortcircuit between the motherboard electronic parts/tracks and any metallic parts of the case or peripherals (optical drive, HDD etc.). All that just to rule out possible hardware issues, considering that - as you said - the only change was the case.

And if all that fails to work, do take out the processor, clean the heatsink and fan, remove the thermal paste completely, reseat the processor and give it a thin layer of decent-grade recent thermal paste, reinstall the heatsink and fan, and let's see what result this produces.

And if you get to that, gently remove the cover from the CPU socket and with a magnifying glass look at the contacts; some may have been loosened and need to be stuck back together using a tiny needle or something. I had to do that for a board given by a friend, where the CPU had been forcibly pulled out and half of the contacts were badly tilted. It's now working as a test machine for a KernelEx installation under 98SE. ;)

There is no Driver at 60E. This error suggests a bad jump as can occur with a stack error.

Is it possible this error can be caused by a resource conflict?

I broke my CPU fan trying to get it off and had to swap it to a spare I had. I also replaced the CMOS battery. As noted in a previous post, the PC prompted me to change the time and date. The old battery was measuring at ~0.4v... "New" one is at 2.7, which should be good enough for now.

So back to the resource conflict, since my BIOS settings were reset earlier, and even now after replacing the battery I had to go and change my settings back. This board (D850MV) has built in LAN and audio but no video. BIOS settings changed were:

- Date/Time

- Disable onboard audio, parallel port, serial port

- Set resume to S3 (default is S1)

I got into Windows and reinstalled the video driver and the input devices. I'm not out of the woods yet. Checklist:

1. Run Memtest. I still want to do this just in case.

2. 3dMark2000 causes the PC to reset on the second (helicopter) test.

3. LCD display can be rotated 90 degrees. I set up the keyboard shortcuts in CCC, but when running a game in tate (殺陣), sound and video are choppy.

4. Saw 1 BSOL* from the Creative software saying a Math Co-Processor wasn't detected.

5. Saw 1 Windows Protection Error (black screen) on shutdown, but I initiated Shutdown during Windows startup so it may be a red herring.

*BSOL = Blue Screen of Life. The type of blue screen where the "Press Any key to continue" actually works and you can still use Windows. :P