Bootable Floppy Image Works On CD But Not On DVD

LoneCrusader

BTW, which one? 4.10.1998, 4.10.2222 or 4.10.2223 (Q310695)?
I used 4.10.1998 which would have been the closest to Windows 95. I haven't tried the others.

The link you had for 4.10.2223 was for 4.90.3001.

Sorry! Well, its complicated... The MSKB still retrievable is for Win ME only (and the UDF.VxD 4.90.3001 is still available from MS), but the issue fixed by it occurs both on Win ME and in Win 98SE. There never was an MSKB article for Win 98SE, though, AFAIK, but the hotfix containing UDF.VxD 4.10.2223 can be found here. There is no corresponding hotfix for Win 98 FE, that I know of, either because it has not that issue (more probable) or because the fix was simply never made (less probable).

Sorry! Well, its complicated... The MSKB still retrievable is for Win ME only (and the UDF.VxD 4.90.3001 is still available from MS), but the issue fixed by it occurs both on Win ME and in Win 98SE. There never was an MSKB article for Win 98SE, though, AFAIK, but the hotfix containing UDF.VxD 4.10.2223 can be found here. There is no corresponding hotfix for Win 98 FE, that I know of, either because it has not that issue (more probable) or because the fix was simply never made (less probable).

After not finding it on Microsoft's Website, I checked www.mdgx.com and got it early this morning.

Since it is the only one publicly distributed (unless you count 3001), I will see if it can be modified as well.

Great! :w00t: So, now, with both your CDFS patch and your UDF addition patch it's possible to extend DVD support to 95! You do rock! :thumbup

I tested rloew's PTCHCDFS on Windows 95 C with CDFS.VXD 4.00.1113, the file is patched correctly, but I discovered a few minutes ago that if the DVD contains >4GB worth of files, the "Used space:" and "Capacity:" byte counts on the General Properties tab only show as "---". If the DVD has <4GB worth of files, the byte count shows up correctly.

I have not used this patch yet on Windows 98, so I do not have a reference, but I assume this is not a problem in 98. :unsure:

EDIT:

Bizarre error not reproducable, works properly now. :w00t:

Edited by LoneCrusader

Great! :w00t: So, now, with both your CDFS patch and your UDF addition patch it's possible to extend DVD support to 95! You do rock! :thumbup

I tested rloew's PTCHCDFS on Windows 95 C with CDFS.VXD 4.00.1113, the file is patched correctly, but I discovered a few minutes ago that if the DVD contains >4GB worth of files, the "Used space:" and "Capacity:" byte counts on the General Properties tab only show as "---". If the DVD has <4GB worth of files, the byte count shows up correctly.

I have not used this patch yet on Windows 98, so I do not have a reference, but I assume this is not a problem in 98. :unsure:

The CDFS Patch works fine on Windows 98. It could be the Explorer not recognizing the output from the modified CDFS.

The UDF Package is now available on my Website

The CDFS Patch works fine on Windows 98. It could be the Explorer not recognizing the output from the modified CDFS.

Is it maybe the issue "Windows Explorer Reports 4 GB of Files as 0 Bytes" (KB158045), or related to it?

BTW, there is also the Copy2GB+ issue (this thread), mentioned in KB318293, which was tackled initially by LLXX, then eventually solved fully by the "Anonymous Patcher"... it's not clear to me whether that issue also exists in Win 95 (most probably) and whether a port of the existing patch to kernel32.dll v. 4.10.0.2225 (available renumbered as v. 4.10.0.2226) to 95 is viable and/or necessary. I consider this patched kernel32.dll a *must* for all 98SE (and the corresponding 4.90.0.3001 for ME) installations, for it unleashes the full 4 GiB capacity of FAT to 98SE (and ME), which are otherwise actually limited to 2 GiB only (although it's controversial whether the corresponding patch is really needed for ME). This particular issue is related to the implementations of _llseek and SetFilePointer. On rereading the thread I pointed to above, I've found out there is also a patched kernell32.dll for 98FE, which I had completely forgotten about.

@RLoew: Thanks a lot for releasing the UDF patch as freeware! You do rock! :thumbup

Is it maybe the issue "Windows Explorer Reports 4 GB of Files as 0 Bytes" (KB158045), or related to it?

BTW, there is also the Copy2GB+ issue (this thread), mentioned in KB318293, which was tackled initially by LLXX, then eventually solved fully by the "Anonymous Patcher"... it's not clear to me whether that issue also exists in Win 95 (most probably) and whether a port of the existing patch to kernel32.dll v. 4.10.0.2225 (available renumbered as v. 4.10.0.2226) to 95 is viable and/or necessary. I consider this patched kernel32.dll a *must* for all 98SE (and the corresponding 4.90.0.3001 for ME) installations, for it unleashes the full 4 GiB capacity of FAT to 98SE (and ME), which are otherwise actually limited to 2 GiB only (although it's controversial whether the corresponding patch is really needed for ME). This particular issue is related to the implementations of _llseek and SetFilePointer. On rereading the thread I pointed to above, I've found out there is also a patched kernell32.dll for 98FE, which I had completely forgotten about.

@RLoew: Thanks a lot for releasing the UDF patch as freeware! You do rock! :thumbup

I did some further testing.

In Windows 95C, everything was reported correctly.

In Windows 95, the capacity of the DVD was correctly displayed as 4.36GiB but the longer Byte Count was replaced by dashes.

The Explorer has the correct data but the Programmer didn't bother writing a 64-Bit Binary to Decimal converter. Since Windows 95 doesn't recognize FAT32, there was no need to show numbers over 2.1 Billion. Only my 256 Sector Cluster Patch would push the limit over 4GiB.

I did some further testing.

In Windows 95C, everything was reported correctly.

:huh: Sorry, I cannot quite reconcile both your reports... I'd understood LoneCrusader found that issue precisely on 95C...

Would you both please post screenshots?

:huh: Sorry, I cannot quite reconcile both your reports... I'd understood LoneCrusader found that issue precisely on 95C...

I wish I had taken a screenshot of the error when I saw it before, now I am unable to reproduce it. Everything seems to be working fine now.. :w00t: that's good of course, but I don't know what was going on before. :blink:

EDIT:

I can now also confirm testing of the UDF driver on Windows 95B, everything still works perfectly! :thumbup

Edited by LoneCrusader

I wish I had taken a screenshot of the error when I saw it before, now I am unable to reproduce it. Everything seems to be working fine now.. :w00t: that's good of course, but I don't know what was going on before. :blink:

EDIT:

I can now also confirm testing of the UDF driver on Windows 95B, everything still works perfectly! :thumbup

I can post a screenshot of the Windows 95 missing data, but there is no disagreement since Windows 95C does appear to work OK at least most of the time.

If a reproduceable problem is found I can test further.

The Control Panel for my main Website is up so I have added the Windows 95x UDF Driver to it.

I think that, unless LoneCrusader or someone else pinpoints the condition in which that issue happens, there is no need for screenshots, and we may attribute what he reported to a one-time quirck.

I think that those who have been reading this thread (the 1st page) has noticed that the Intel Application Accelerator(IAA) was installed on one of the poster's system.

Just to share my personal experience: The IAA can cause disc read errors (And write errors too!) with certain optical drives. I had 2 Benq drives (1 DVD-ROM and CD-RW), and I wrecked the DVD drive trying to adjust it's laser (Thinking that the read errors were caused by the weak old lasers in those drives). I was shocked that all the read errors I had immediately disappeared after I had uninstalled the IAA and rebooted.

My mainboard was a Gigabyte GA-6OXM7E, running Windows 98 SE(4.10.2222A).

The DVD drive ran at ATA-66 mode (It was a little newer), while the CD-RW drive runs only at ATA-33 (UDMA mode 2, I think).

Edited by sp193