Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

LoneCrusader

Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

On 10/14/2019 at 4:11 PM, JonnyGators said:

Meanwhile, testing in virtual, I've found the repair seems to not work for OSR1.  It appears to be doing an OSR2 repair and getting the MS-DOS error.

I should note, I'm not entirely confident that my ISOs are properly labeled.  My retail and OSR1 both make me enter dashes and OEM when entering in the key though, so that seems right.  But, my retail copy comes with a version of Internet Explorer (of the era of the floating windows icon in the sky, before the big blue e), and from what I read on wikipedia, retail didn't come with any version of internet explorer.  So....not sure about that.  But, anyways, my iso that is labeled retail does the fix correctly, my iso that is labeled OSR1 doesn't.  Obviously, no rush to look into that, as I'm happy playing around with my "retail" iso for my purposes, but figured you would want to know that.

There does appear to be a problem when applying FIX95CPU to a full OSR1 installation from CD/scratch. RTM installations later manually updated to OSR1 should not be affected.

FIX95CPU tests for the existence of FILEXFER.EXE to determine whether the version of 95 being patched is RTM or OSR2... FILEXFER.EXE does not exist in RTM, but does in OSR2. Apparently it exists in OSR1 as well. Looks like I will need to find another file to test for to make the determination. Anyone who may have further input on this please chime in.

On the other hand, if you're not getting anywhere with 95 RTM or OSR2 either on this machine I'm not certain what other problems may be in play. OSR2 should definitely work, even if the others don't.

How about mfc40.dll? That's new to OSR2.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:38 AM, win32 said:

How about mfc40.dll? That's new to OSR2.

So, I assume you're saying that MFC40.DLL does not exist in a clean installation of 95RTM or 95A (OSR1), and does exist in a clean installation of 95B/95C (OSR2.x)? If so, this sounds like a winner. Thanks for your help! :thumbup

I'll try to verify this myself as well, but my workspace and testing systems are a wreck right now. Even 95 VM's are not working on the machine I'm using now. Not to mention that I haven't worked on FIX95CPU or used it myself in over 6 years (I slipstreamed the fixes so I never have to use the manual version anymore), so it may take me a while to implement the change and push out an updated package.

In the meantime, anyone who needs to use FIX95CPU on a KNOWN OSR1 installation can rename FILEXFER.EXE on their HDD to something else before FIX95CPU installs, or delete the line referencing it in FIX95CPU.BAT on the FIX95CPU floppy. NOTE the latter of those options will make the FIX95CPU floppy useless for OSR2 installs!