Farewell to Windows 2000? *sob*

Dave-H

I am a big fan of Windows 7 as well. It does add a lot of new features and it functions very well. Unlike Windows Vista which is garbage.

I beg to differ about Vista being "garbage", Siginet!

Sure the original release of WinVista was a major disappointment but at least when I updated it to Vista SP2 on my mom's Dell Inspiron laptop (which had pre-installed Vista Home Basic Edition), it runs better. I don't have that much problems with Vista anymore.

I will let my aunts continue to use Win2k Pro SP4 on their computer (a Dell Optiplex GX100 desktop PC) until perhaps late summer of 2011. Microsoft may send W2k to the graveyard in July 2010 but they won't mind using W2k for another year.

It's been a great run for Win2000. Ten years worth. :)

Edited by erpdude8

Hi again guys!

:hello:

Some progress made.

I checked the name of the Administrator account in all the places mentioned, and it was still "Dave"!

Why it comes up as "Administrator" on the login screen still, and the start menu still says "Log off Administrator" I have no idea, very odd as it certainly wasn't like that on 2000.

Anyway I now have the system set to log on automatically anyway and I've got my familiar old shut-down screen back.

I found an option in "User Accounts" in Control Panel called "Change the way users log on or off".

This allows you to turn off the welcome screen, and that seemed to do the trick.

Still no joy with the Network Connections window.

The two icons for it in control panel I think are being caused by there being a .cpl file and an entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace referring to the Network Connections applet.

Could someone with XP tell me which of these is the correct one and I'll try deleting the other.

Incidentally, the two icons produce different tooltips when you hover over them.

One says "Connects to other computers, networks, and the internet" and the other says "Configures network software".

This might also give a clue as to which one is the rogue imposter!

Another couple of issues (I don't want to take this to the XP forum until I've at least resolved problems stemming from the upgrade) are that WMI isn't working, and Windows Update isn't working either.

If I try and use MSInfo none of it works, and I just get a message saying "Windows Management files may be moved or missing".

If I try and use MS Update or Windows Update, I get error 0x800A0046.

I've been through all the steps suggested to resolve this error, cleared all my cache and cookies, but no joy.

Anyone any quick fixes for either of these?!

Den, I have still got all my backups of the old system files.

The only thing I foolishly forgot to do was backup the files on C:\, the root of the system drive.

I hope I won't need them.........

Cheers, Dave.

:)

That error code maps to Win32 error CTL_E_PERMISSIONDENIED, so you might want to run process monitor (from sysinternals) while attempting to use msinfo, or run windows update, etc - your permissions somewhere, be it file or registry, aren't allowing your account to do something it needs which is probably simply a residual change that didn't happen during the upgrade.

Yet another reason why it is ultimately better to do a clean install ;).

I deleted the registry Control Panel namespace entry for the Network Connections window, and also deleted the cpl files. There seemed to be two of them, one called netsetup.cpl, and one called ncpa.cpl.

I had to remove both of them before both the Network Connections icons disappeared from Control Panel.

Needless to say, when I reinstalled Windows again they all came back, and I've got two Network Connections icons in Control Panel again!

Surely this isn't normal?

The two icons seem to do exactly the same thing!

I've gradually resolved some of the outstanding problems, but one big one remains!

The problem with MSInfo, the blank Network Connections folder, and the fact that I can't get Windows Update to work all seem to have the same root cause.

Remote Assistance isn't working either.

The system can't access the cimv2 namespace.

Everywhere where it tries to do this, I just get an "Access Denied" message.

I've now reinstalled Windows XP twice, and the same thing happens every time.

After setup completes, the first time Windows boots up everything works fine.

The Network Connections window is populated, MSInfo works, Windows Update works, Remote Assistance works.

All is fine until I reboot, then everything stops working again!

Logging off and on doesn't cause this problem, only a reboot does.

I've searched and searched about this, and tried every resolution offered, but nothing fixes it.

It looks like a permissions problem, but there is only the Administrator and Guest account on the machine.

The Guest account is turned off, and I am the default Administrator, so why can't I access these things!

:wacko:

It looks like a permissions problem, but there is only the Administrator and Guest account on the machine.

The Guest account is turned off, and I am the default Administrator, so why can't I access these things!

Well, the Administrator NOT necessarily has ownership of "everything".

Why do you think that hard-to-die 2K users like yours truly love to describe XP as "a bettered win2K, only worse"? :unsure:

jaclaz

Well, I found the cause of the WMI access problem!

:thumbup

To my eternal shame, I eventually phoned MS about it, convinced that it had to be an OS configuration problem.

I had to pay them too, which really hurt!

:realmad:

Of course if I'd actually thought about it a bit more, I would have done myself exactly what they told me to do.

As soon as I said it was all right in Safe Mode, they just told me to use msconfig to disable all non-MS services.

I did this, and everything worked!

Grrrrrrrr!!

I then went through the process of elimination to find which service was causing the problem, and found to my great surprise that it was Windows Defender!

Although this is a Microsoft program, its service isn't included as an MS service, presumably because it's not part of the OS. I uninstalled Windows Defender and reinstalled it, and everything came good.

Boy was I kicking myself that I'd actually paid MS to tell me something that had I used any common sense I could have easily found out for myself!

I was so convinced that it had to be a fundamental OS problem though, especially as it always worked fine after the first reboot after setup, when WD was running! It only failed after a subsequent reboot.

I guess I'll never know why that was.......

Anyway, all is now working, Windows/MS Update, Msinfo, and Remote Assistance, and the Network Connections folder is fine.

I've still got two icons for it in Control Panel though, that's the next investigation!

I'm going to the XP forum from now on for problems.

I hope they're nice over there!

Cheers, Dave.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the deed is done, and everything is getting straight.

So far, I have no regrets whatsoever!

I think I can even get my Windows Explorer folders looking like they did in 2000 again with a bit of hacking, which I wasn't expecting to be able to do.

I thought I'd post one more time here just to say that the two Network Connections icons in Control Panel was due to the entry in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace producing one icon, and the cpl file producing the other!

I removed the registry entry, and all was well. However I had to reinstall Windows again, for reasons I won't bore you all with, and the double icons came back!

It must be a bug in Windows setup.

Whether it's due to it being an update rather than a clean install I don't know.

Just thought I'd mention the fix here in this thread in case anyone searches the forum for the same problem.

At least all the observations will be in one place then.

Now I really am heading for the XP forum!

Cheers all,

Dave.

:hello:

(I know it's a "hello" emoticon, but I'm using it as a "goodbye" one!)

Lol I'm not too worried about the security issues. XD

Although I agree that newer OSes are progressively tweaked for newer hardware.

But, eh. :P

Since my previous posts are gone, pray tell me why, as I'd like to keep using it past July 13

as well. Looking at a dual boot though, XP or 7 for online, 2000 for the rest of my work.

Edited by Browncoat

I've just went back to 2k again, and the end of security updates are of no concern for me personally...

With some common scense and a good firewall, then there shouldn't be any probs IMHO...

To tighten the Win2k security further, then there's also FDV's IE/Junk Removal Fileset, which besides erradicating a bunch of the Win2k filesystem/registry bloat, then also makes it so that Scripting exploits, ActiveX exploits, IE exploits, MS HTML display engine exploits and DCOM exploits will not work on your machine...

Edited by Martin H

I've just went back to 2k again, and the end of security updates are of no concern for me personally...

With some common sense and a good firewall, then there shouldn't be any probs IMHO...

To tighten the Win2k security further, then there's also FDV's IE/Junk Removal Fileset, which besides erradicating a bunch of the Win2k filesystem/registry bloat, then also makes it so that Scripting exploits, ActiveX exploits, IE exploits, MS HTML display engine exploits and DCOM exploits will not work on your machine...

Yep, been reading that over and over 'till I get headaches but sooner or later I'll understand it all and give it

a go, if only for the fact I'm a cheap bastard. That's where nVidia comes in handy..all their mobo and vid drivers

have been so far backward compatible. Plus there is an archive so mating hardware to OS is easy, can't say same about ATI

or those that don't use gForce or eForce, just not sure....going nVidia just makes it easier.

Yep, been reading that over and over 'till I get headaches but sooner or later I'll understand it all and give it

a go, if only for the fact I'm a cheap bastard.[...]

FDV's tutorial is for educational purposses, as he provides a pre-built fileset with all the modded INFs and patched DLLs etc.

I'm not sure if the drag'n drop into I386 applies anymore(if i remember correctly a line was added to HFSLIP which fixed something in set-8 or 9), but then it's just a matter of:

• Download HFSLIP and run it once.
  • Download FDV's fileset and extract it into 'HFSLIP\FDVFILES'.
  • Copy your Win2k source into 'HFSLIP\SOURCE'.
  • Optionally add all your post-SP4 updates into 'HFSLIP\HF'.
  • Run HFSLIP again.

• 2 weeks later...

a go, if only for the fact I'm a cheap bastard.[...]

FDV's tutorial is for educational purposes, as he provides a pre-built fileset with all the modded INFs and patched DLLs etc.

I'm not sure if the drag'n drop into I386 applies anymore(if i remember correctly a line was added to HFSLIP which fixed something in set-8 or 9), but then it's just a matter of:

• Download HFSLIP and run it once.
  • Download FDV's fileset and extract it into 'HFSLIP\FDVFILES'.
  • Copy your Win2k source into 'HFSLIP\SOURCE'.
  • Optionally add all your post-SP4 updates into 'HFSLIP\HF'.
  • Run HFSLIP again.

OK, thanks.....have one more question but was up all night and the brain is getting foggy, save it for later.

but it will be about blackwingcat's XP API, as I'm having trouble getting the .msi file out to use in 2000

but only one place i go to uses QT, the others use Flash, which still updates.

Edited by Browncoat

• 2 weeks later...

All versions of Windows after Win2k contain spyware, so why not try Linux, it has come a long way the last 10 years. I'm using win2k on my main machine and don't plan on buying any OS from Microsoft, if you use Firefox with noScript and a good firewall you're good to go.