The File-Checker (HFSLIPFC) for HFSLIP

Mim0

MimO,

Successful report. I used 1.7.10 beta G to slipstream SP3, IE8, WMP11, RDC7, and most other updates

into Windows XP Pro, Gold (aka, Service Pack 0) source.

I used HFSLIPFC v2010/02/12 to prepare. This tool was VERY, VERY helpful. THANK YOU so much for this GREAT tool!

After running HFSLIP I created a CD from the resulting .iso and used it to do a fresh install.

All worked great, no problems at all. Later I used the CD to do a repair install, all worked great there too!

---

MINOR PROBLEM. Yesterday MSFN.org was down for maintenance. Apparently they changed the links to HPSLIP forum as the two links to "HFSLIP-Forum (MSFN)" and "Windows Update Thread (HFSLIP-Forum)" at the bottom of your page no longer work.

---

Re: Security Advisory 977377: TLS/SSL WindowsXP-KB977377-x86-ENU.exe

Current tip: For possible side effects read article KB977377

SUGGESTION. Tip, add/change to "Recommended for server admins only."

FYI, I did not include this update.

---

Re: WindowsXP-KB952013-x86-ENU.exe

Current tip: the renamed SmartCard_XP_x86.exe

Suggested tip: download SmartCard_XP_x86.exe and rename it.

---

Thank you so very much for all of your hard work, and for sharing it with us home users.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

@Lilla

THX!!! I've changed the list regarding our hints. smile.gif

2010-02-18
- Info: INI-setting PREFIX has leaved it's beta-state but it will
not be "official" in the INI.
- Fixed: Prefixes are handled now also in the dependency-check of
KB970430 and KB971737 against KB968389.
- Fixed: If KB970430 doesn't exists, KB971737 was not checked against
KB968389.
- Changed: Reduced console output
- Changed: Renamed the INI-setting "DOWNLOAD-SCRIPT" to
"DOWNLOAD-COMMAND" (still beta state)
- Added: KB979099 to WIN (replaces KB917275)
- Removed: KB917275 from WU
- Added: Support of giving hints for each used (known) update
So far hints was given for WMP11-installer, Windows Messenger 5.1,
KB975254 (MS09-053) and KB977377 (Advisory 977377). With
this extension, the special-code for printing a hint for KB975254
(MS09-053) was deleted.
- Added: Windows Messenger 5.1 (optional, can replace KB946648/MS08-050)

Edited by Mim0

MimO,

Thanks for incorporating my little suggestions.

Regarding the 2010, Feb, 18 update.

PROBLEM: I am not able to download the new version of HFSLIPFC (v.2010/02/18). Since I was able to download the previous version (v2010/02/12), I'm thinking maybe something isn't quite right on your side. When I click the link, the File Download (title) window comes up, when I click Save, the window closes.

I am using Windows XP Pro with SP3, IE8.

Source: http://hfslip.org/howto.html

It is advised you disable your anti-virus program if you're going to use CMDOW.EXE. Some of those may erroneously tag it as a trojan and delete it without asking for your confirmation.

Observation, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) identifies cmdow.exe as a threat and recommends removal.

SUGGESTION: Include HFTOOLS in the default FOLDER SET for HFSLIPFC.ini. Then, in the event cmdow.exe was deleted by your anti-virus this would be caught by HFSLIPFC.

Thank you for your wonderful list and for your BRILLIANT file checker utility.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

PROBLEM: I am not able to download the new version of HFSLIPFC (v.2010/02/18). Since I was able to download the previous version (v2010/02/12), I'm thinking maybe something isn't quite right on your side. When I click the link, the File Download (title) window comes up, when I click Save, the window closes.

Hmm... I've just downloaded the file and i got no probs. Maybe the webserver had temp problems. Can you try again?

It is advised you disable your anti-virus program if you're going to use CMDOW.EXE. Some of those may erroneously tag it as a trojan and delete it without asking for your confirmation.

Observation, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) identifies cmdow.exe as a threat and recommends removal.

SUGGESTION: Include HFTOOLS in the default FOLDER SET for HFSLIPFC.ini. Then, in the event cmdow.exe was deleted by your anti-virus this would be caught by HFSLIPFC.

Good idea! But I will do a "special-check" for this file instead of checking the whole HFTOOLS because then the file-checker will report too many unknown or missing files I think!

Bye, Mimo

Hmm... I've just downloaded the file and i got no probs. Maybe the webserver had temp problems. Can you try again?

Tried again and it's working fine this morning. Must have been that the webserver had temp problems. Thanks.

SUGGESTION: Include HFTOOLS in the default FOLDERSET defined in HFSLIPFC.ini. Then, in the event cmdow.exe was deleted by your anti-virus this would be caught by HFSLIPFC.

Good idea! But I will do a "special-check" for this file instead of checking the whole HFTOOLS because then the file-checker will report too many unknown or missing files I think!

Would this be possible: Check that HFTOOLS folder contains all the files listed in table 6. Also, add a new section called "! Additional tools in HFTOOLS folder" or whatever name you choose. In this section I would add HFANSWER.INI (contains settings to install RC), and any other files I have added to this folder that are not listed in table 6.

Edited by Lilla

2010-02-19
- Fixed: Obsolete updates were not moved when MOVEOBSOLETE=1
(came with the previous version)
- Added: Check of (optional) cmdow.exe in HFTOOLS.
- Fixed: After clarification with TommyP I've corrected the List of
extracted DX9-CABs (if someone will extract it manually) and
added information of DX9-Files which are not to be used.

@Lilla

I'm just in a hurry. Let's talk later about an HFSLIP-section! :)

Mimo

missing (O): HFTOOLS\cmdow.exe (Remove HFSLIP DOS box during Windows installation)

hfslipfc-100219

1. I use cWnd (New cmdow replacement-HFTOOLS\cWnd.exe ) instead of cmdow.Please add it to detect

missing (O): HF\WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB979099-Client-x86-ENU.exe (Rights Management Services Client with SP2)

Forgot to add other language versions (WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB979099-Client-x86-PL.exe)

Edited by dziubek

Mimo,

missing (O): HFTOOLS\cmdow.exe (Remove HFSLIP DOS box during Windows installation)

hfslipfc-100219

1. I use cWnd (New cmdow replacement-HFTOOLS\cWnd.exe ) instead of cmdow.Please add it to detect

Observation: Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) doesn't flag cWnd.exe as a threat, as it does cmdow.exe.

Thought: Since cmdow.exe is detected as a threat by some/most? anti-virus programs, would it be better to use cWnd.exe instead of cmdow.exe in table 6 of the update-list (read more about cWnd.exe here)?

Possible programming criteria for hfslipfc...

Source: hfslip.org

•added support for cWnd.exe (v0.8 or higher) by n7Epsilon, which can be used as alternative for CMDOW.EXE

Extract the RAR package into a temporary folder and find cWnd.exe in the subfolder called "release."

Place cWnd.exe in HFTOOLS or in HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32.

If both cWnd.exe and CMDOW.EXE are present, HFSLIP will slipstream both and have Windows setup use cWnd.exe in HFSLIP-made CMD files.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

Mimo, I confirm, messenger.msi works fine in HFGUIRUNONCE. I originally had it it in HFSVCPACK_SW1, to have it insatlled at T-13, but it didn't work, for some reason. Moved it to HFGUIRUNONCE and it works perfectly.

Mimo, I confirm, messenger.msi works fine in HFGUIRUNONCE. I originally had it it in HFSVCPACK_SW1, to have it insatlled at T-13, but it didn't work, for some reason. Moved it to HFGUIRUNONCE and it works perfectly.

Thx for reporting this. I've made the same experience...

2010-02-22
- Added: INI-setting HINTS=0/1 (default=1) to disable/enable the output
of hints for specific updates.
- Added: PAUSE after creating INI
- Added: cmdow.exe will checked against HFTOOLS\cwnd.exe. If cwnd.exe
exists cmdow.exe will not be reported as missing. Also
changed the msg for cmdow ("...could be deleted by virus-scanner").
- Fixed: Using other wording for "missing files". "missing" will now
used only for security-updates (MS...). All other will reported
as "not found" to avoid missunderstandings. The user has to
decide (and think about it) which MS...-update shall be used.
- Fixed: KB979099 was expected always in English instead of the correct
language.

Fixed: KB979099 was expected always in English instead of the correct 
language.

not found (O): HF\WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB979099-Client-x86-PLK.exe (Rights Management Services Client with SP2)

but I put this file:

\HFSLIP\HF\

WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB979099-Client-x86-PL.exe

typo :-)

Mimo,

hfslipfc-100222

DirectX 9 already extracted (\HFCABS): yes

Media Player 11 already extracted (\HF\WMP11): yes

Suggestion: add the text shown in bold above (or your own way) to convey folder names.

---

hfslipfc-100222

Found wrong, obsolete or unknown update(s)

------------------------------------------

wrong obsolete (O): HF\directx_feb2010_redist.exe (DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtimes Feb 201

0 (9.28.1886), it's for DX9. Already extracted in \HFCABS)

obsolete (O): HF\wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe (Windows Media Player 11, already extra

cted in HF/WMP11)

Suggestion: Make changes shown above in bold (or your own way) to provide consistency.

---

update-list 20100218.

2010-02 DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtimes Feb 2010 (9.28.1886) Optional n/a directx_feb2010_redist.exe HF

Suggestion. Add tip to update above, perhaps something like this...

HFSLIP extracts to \HFCABS, read this thread for details.

---

Good work on changes to 1002222, very helpful! Thank you.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

Hi, first thanks, this is a great tool!

I came to report that the file WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB979099-Client-x86-PTB.exe when downloaded comes whith the name WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB979099-Client-x86-BR.exe, so the diference is in the end of it, it comes with BR in place of PTB.

Odd, but to solve this you could put another verifier just for this file or even leave a message together with the download link, so people will know they must rename it.

Other strange thing i got is that WindowsXP-KB969084-x86-ptb.exe , WindowsXP-KB968389-x86-PTB.exe and WindowsXP-KB967715-x86-PTB.exe are not even near of being slipstream, is this supposed to happen? Or they should be slipped also?

EDIT: I have realized right now that legit cabinet was updated just some days ago, shouldn't the file check include this verification, because i did introduce the new version in cabs folder and got no errors, and with the old version no errors too.

the lastest version is on the same link on mimmo's page. Version 1.9.42.0

Thanks

HFSLIP.txt

Edited by theruan