KernelEx 4.5.2

How can I use Java 6 (jre6 version 31) on Win98SE/KernelEx?

I have successfully installed everything, but clicking on the Java control panel icon does nothing, beside producing an error log file in my Java directory. The error looks like when my CPU was not supporting the "cmov()" instruction, however the installed FineSSE should fix this.

E:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\hs_err_pid4294274257.log

## A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:##  Internal Error (assembler_x86.cpp:1071), pid=-693039, tid=4294251761#  guarantee(VM_Version::supports_cmov()) failed: illegal instruction## JRE version: 6.0_31-b05# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (20.6-b01 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp#---------------  T H R E A D  ---------------Current thread (0x00704800):  JavaThread "Unknown thread" [_thread_in_vm, id=-715535, stack(0x00800000,0x00870000)]Stack: [0x00800000,0x00870000],  sp=0x0085fbc0,  free space=382kNative frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native code)[error occurred during error reporting (printing native stack), id 0xc0000005]---------------  P R O C E S S  ---------------Java Threads: ( => current thread )Other Threads:=>0x00704800 (exited) JavaThread "Unknown thread" [_thread_in_vm, id=-715535, stack(0x00800000,0x00870000)]VM state:not at safepoint (not fully initialized)VM Mutex/Monitor currently owned by a thread: NoneDynamic libraries:0x6d7e0000 - 0x6d7ef000 	E:\PROGRAMME\JAVA\JRE6\BIN\ZIP.DLL0x6d320000 - 0x6d33f000 	E:\PROGRAMME\JAVA\JRE6\BIN\JAVA.DLL0x6d7a0000 - 0x6d7ac000 	E:\PROGRAMME\JAVA\JRE6\BIN\VERIFY.DLL0x6d7f0000 - 0x6da9f000 	E:\PROGRAMME\JAVA\JRE6\BIN\CLIENT\JVM.DLL0xbfdf0000 - 0xbfe00000 	E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINMM.DLL0x7c340000 - 0x7c396000 	E:\PROGRAMME\JAVA\JRE6\BIN\MSVCR71.DLL0x00400000 - 0x00425000 	E:\PROGRAMME\JAVA\JRE6\BIN\JAVAW.EXE0x7d000000 - 0x7d018000 	E:\WINDOWS\KERNELEX\KEXBASEN.DLL0xbfa00000 - 0xbfa0d000 	E:\WINDOWS\KERNELEX\KERNELEX.DLL0xbfa40000 - 0xbfa78000 	E:\WINDOWS\KERNELEX\KEXBASES.DLL0xbfe70000 - 0xbfe76000 	E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VERSION.DLL0xbfc00000 - 0xbfc11000 	E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL0xbff20000 - 0xbff46000 	E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI32.DLL0xbfe80000 - 0xbfe90000 	E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ADVAPI32.DLL0xbff70000 - 0xbffe6000 	E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLLVM Arguments:jvm_args: -Xbootclasspath/a:E:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\..\lib\deploy.jar -Duser.home=E:\WINDOWS java_command: com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanelLauncher Type: SUN_STANDARDEnvironment Variables:CLASSPATH=E:\PROGRA~1\PROGRA~1\JAVA\JDK\JDK1.1.5\LIB\CLASSES.ZIP;E:\PROGRA~1\COSMOSOFTWARE\COSMOPLAYER\NPCOSMOP21.ZIPPATH=E:\WINDOWS;E:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;E:\PROGRA~1\PROGRA~1\JAVA\JDK\JDK1.1.5\BIN;E:\WINDOWS;E:\WINDOWS;E:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;E:\WINDOWS;E:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\S;C:\C;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;C:\DOS;C:\EXPANS;C:\DEVS;C:\EXPANS\MOUSE;C:\EXPANS\ULTRASND;E:\PROGRA~1\GEMEIN~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;E:\PROGRA~1\PROGRA~1\VISUAL~1.1\SOFTWARE\LIB---------------  S Y S T E M  ---------------OS: Windows 98 Build 67766446  A CPU:total 1 (1 cores per cpu, 1 threads per core) family 5 model 13 stepping 0, cx8, mmx, 3dnow, 3dnowextMemory: 4k page, physical 785036k(40k free), swap 1312112k(674816k free)vm_info: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (20.6-b01) for windows-x86 JRE (1.6.0_31-b05), built on Feb  3 2012 18:44:09 by "java_re" with MS VC++ 7.1 (VS2003)time: Wed Dec 11 21:51:47 2013elapsed time: 0 seconds

- How can I fix this?

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

i have a problem with kernel ex.im using windows ME and kernel ex says i need to install Microsoft Layer for Unicode.i downloaded and transferred the setup for that,because on the old computer i have no internet.i installed MLFU and started kernel ex setup again.it still gives me same error message.help please? :}

Right click on the setup executable file, and on the KernelEx tab select an operating system mode. Try Win2000 SP4 or else WinXP SP2. As those are usually the two that work. Select "apply" then try and re-start the program. Other than that, I'm not sure if Netgear is even KEX compatible (not every XP program is, by the way. You can see the KEX compitibity list to check). So if that don't work... hmm... I don't know.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

Right click on the setup executable file, and on the KernelEx tab select an operating system mode. Try Win2000 SP4 or else WinXP SP2. As those are usually the two that work. Select "apply" then try and re-start the program. Other than that, I'm not sure if Netgear is even KEX compatible (not every XP program is, by the way. You can see the KEX compitibity list to check). So if that don't work... hmm... I don't know.

There is also this http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157173-kext-diy-kernelex-extensions/ . If this extension doesn't work well you could also try this http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/138911-userenvdll-003-for-windows-9x/ . You do have to remember though as LostInSpace said not all XP applications will work.

Edited by Flasche

I installed kernel ex 4.5.2 on my windows ME system now,but when I try to launch setup for Netgear Wnda3100v2 network adapter(for windows xp)it still says that I need to upgrade my operating system.Any solutions for this?

KernelEx is NOT for device drivers unfortunately. You may cause the driver setup program to run but if the drivers themselves are not Windows 9x compatible KernelEx will not make them work. :no:

Edited by LoneCrusader

I know that WDM is designed to be forward compatible, and generally not backwards compatible, but couldn't a Win XP driver work on ME. I have gotten two drivers for windows 7 to run On my XP machine with no issue (unmodified). So theoretically couldn't it work here too (not talking about kernelEx making a difference). (not that it will I might have just been lucky)

quote from wikipedia (I know its wikipedia but read here) "By conforming to WDM, drivers can be binary compatible and source-compatible across Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista (for backwards compatibility) on x86-based computers."

Edited by Flasche

I know that WDM is designed to be forward compatible, and generally not backwards compatible, but couldn't a Win XP driver work on ME. I have gotten two drivers for windows 7 to run On my XP machine with no issue (unmodified). So theoretically couldn't it work here too (not talking about kernelEx making a difference). (not that it will I might have just been lucky)

quote from wikipedia (I know its wikipedia but read here) "By conforming to WDM, drivers can be binary compatible and source-compatible across Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista (for backwards compatibility) on x86-based computers."

There are two issues with backporting WDM Drivers.

1. Newer OSes have more WDM Functions

2. There are differences between WDM implementations between Windows 95, 98/98SE/ME and Windows NT OSes such as 2000, XP, 7 Etc.

I have made some attempts to port USB 3 and HD Audio to Windows 9x. I was able to add the missing functions, but the Drivers still did not work.

One really big thing that 9x does different is that floating point registers are not preserved by the OS. When a driver uses FPU stuff and expects OS to handle preservation things will crumble down very quick.

Yeah,I guess no winxp drivers for me.Another program is having trouble.Its Stardock ObjectDesktop now.When I use kernel ex to have Windows 2000 or Windows XP compatibility,the setup starts,but at the very end there is an error that says it can't find Cacls.exe and the setup exits without finishing.As far as I know this is some kind of permissions program in Windows NT.Is there any way I can bypass the error and finish the setup successfully or patch in Cacls.exe to Windows ME?

Psst...I'm trying to make my computer look more like Windows Longhorn since I love it.I even put longhorn sounds,and now I want a sidebar to match up perfectly.

I have Oney's book on writing WDM Drivers. There is a section at the end of many chapters listing specific issues relating to Windows 9x as compared to NT.

In addition, I have found commands where the function calls were changed such as from fastcall to stdcall or a different number of arguments.

Others have had parameters changed so they fail in Windows 9x.