Performance Comparison Vista SP2 vs. Windows 7 6801

pallavsuri

vLite did work with Windows 7 but not the latest 6801 release.

I remove a hell of a lot of components using vlite (i only keep about 5-6 things with extreme, paint, notepad, .NET and a few others) with the current installation of Windows 7 6801... it runs at the same performance of my vista vlited install with is great! Did i forget to mention that it is a non-vlited install of Windows 7 :P

boot time, install time, app launch times, so on?

Boot Time: 4 out of 5 (no need to count... nice boot screen though)

Install Time:5/5 - 23 mins

App Launch Times: 4.5/5 Very quick (even when i never opened the app before) Minefield opens up instantly.

CPU: between 1% and 9% (Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2370 2x 1.73Ghz)

Memory Uage: 45% (2GB RAM DDR2) with Office 2007 installing and MSN, Minefield (Firefox Alpha) running..

User Interface: Love it! Much Much smoother, nice visual effects, etc...

Sound: Crackles a lot (for me anyway, the logon sound... sounded horrible) - built-in sound card on laptop

Wallpapers: Better than XP

Themes: pretty much the same but got more choice.

Drivers: Uses Vista Drivers

Windows Update UI looks nice

New WMP takes a while to get used to

Bugs

Start Menu sometimes does not open

Again, sound crackles but not really a bug i dont think

Edited by Legolash2o

I remove a hell of a lot of components using vlite (i only keep about 5-6 things with extreme, paint, notepad, .NET and a few others) with the current installation of Windows 7 6801... it runs at the same performance of my vista vlited install with is great! Did i forget to mention that it is a non-vlited install of Windows 7 :P

boot time, install time, app launch times, so on?

Boot Time: 4 out of 5 (no need to count... nice boot screen though)

Install Time:5/5 - 23 mins

App Launch Times: 4.5/5 Very quick (even when i never opened the app before) Minefield opens up instantly.

CPU: between 1% and 9% (Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2370 2x 1.73Ghz)

Memory Uage: 45% (2GB RAM DDR2) with Office 2007 installing and MSN, Minefield (Firefox Alpha) running..

User Interface: Love it! Much Much smoother, nice visual effects, etc...

Sound: Crackles a lot (for me anyway, the logon sound... sounded horrible) - built-in sound card on laptop

Wallpapers: Better than XP

Themes: pretty much the same but got more choice.

Drivers: Uses Vista Drivers

Windows Update UI looks nice

New WMP takes a while to get used to

Bugs

Start Menu sometimes does not open

Again, sound crackles but not really a bug i dont think

Now, how do you got vLite working with 6801? I can't get it work, during setup, it says cannot open install.wim... wtf

Now, how do you got vLite working with 6801? I can't get it work, during setup, it says cannot open install.wim... wtf

Legolash2go did mention it does not work with build 6801..

hi guys ms released a new build of vista sp2 on 30th but its nowhere on the net. build number is 16497. installation is the same way. the same reg key tweak works.

i also got the chance of installing windows 7 and had a few program compatibilty issues otherwise it had a lot of new customisation settings which is impressive.

for now vista sp2 (16497) is performing a bit better than windows 7 on my machine.

Legolash2go did mention it does not work with build 6801..

but then he said:

I remove a hell of a lot of components using vlite (i only keep about 5-6 things with extreme, paint, notepad, .NET and a few others) with the current installation of Windows 7 6801... it runs at the same performance of my vista vlited install with is great! Did i forget to mention that it is a non-vlited install of Windows 7

so what's was that? Or i read it wrong? :wacko:

I remove a hell of a lot of components using vlite (i only keep about 5-6 things with extreme, paint, notepad, .NET and a few others) with the current installation of Windows 7 6801... it runs at the same performance of my vista vlited install with is great! Did i forget to mention that it is a non-vlited install of Windows 7

so what's was that? Or i read it wrong? :wacko:

I remove a lot of components with windows vista...... Windows 7 (full) runs faster than my fully vlited vista install.