Vista Ultimate - What services to kill safely?

whwebsolutions

I'm a working PC tech, and as such I have to set up new Vista PC's every week.

I know from years of experience with XP, that redundant services can kill a system's performance.

So after installing Vista Ult. on a test PC, I went straight to Black Vipers web site to find out what Services I could safely KILL. He gives several options that you can pick from.

I went with the services in the SAFE column. Then I wrote a batch file to disable 22 services. I run that batch file now on every home PC I set up that runs Vista.

For my own PC, I added two more services to that list, for a total of 24 services to either KILL or put into Manual mode.

Regardless of what the 'Nay-Sayers' may want to tell you, reducing the workload on the CPU and ram cannot help but positively impact system performance.

I also use a few Registry Tweaks, holdovers from XP, that improve Vista's performance even more.

Also, putting every screen or menu into "Classic" mode helps too.

Then to decrease your frustration level, shut down UAC! It has NO place on a home computer.

Then help the poor overloaded HD, by uninstalling every trial and demo that came with the PC.

And any other program that you don't need.

There's more, but that's a good place to start, anyway. :thumbup

Cheers Mates!

B)

Edited by Andromeda43

I went with the services in the SAFE column. Then I wrote a batch file to disable 22 services. I run that batch file now on every home PC I set up that runs Vista.

For my own PC, I added two more services to that list, for a total of 24 services to either KILL or put into Manual mode.

Do you happen to have a link or could you post some code for this batch file you run? Is it something you run every time it boots up or is it a 1 time deal to put the services into a "manual" mode?

shut down UAC! It has NO place on a home computer.

Thats your opinion and i respect that, but UAC is a long overdue feature. Windows should have had this ever since 95. It is one of the greatest security enhancements in windows in years. I can run as a standard user and yet access things that require kernel mode access with no problems i simply have to give the go-ahead. Quite brilliant if you ask me.... but thats my opinion :)

as a PC tech myself i will disagree with those saying UAC is useless/garbage, it is not but if you took the time to understand what it does and how it does iwhat it does you may change your mind about it,at first i did not like UAC but i needed to understand what is does and why it does it and now i don't mind an extra click and if you don't like UAC use tweak UAC instead as it keeps it on but eliminates the prompts if they bother you that much.as for vista i would check out tweakhound.

• 3 weeks later...
UAC is intended to scare people off.

And it will succeed only with those who are already afraid.

That's MY opinion. :rolleyes:

GL

Well, I have to say that your opinion is far from the truth. UAC was two-fold, one to force developers to *finally* write LUA apps that would work for non-administrators, and two, to allow some protection (even when admin) to the system when something (legit or otherwise) attempted to perform an operation on a system-level area. It's not a security measure, although it functions as a pseudo-security device, it's more of the stick to developers (now that the carrot has failed).

Oh, the negative remarks about Black Viper. :angry:

I would expect nothing less, here.

In view of all the negativity, I won't post my own disable list or batch file here.

If someone really, honestly, wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

B)

I dunno. Black Viper's list is nothing special. You can stop most stuff that you wouldn't use or gets in your way, and most names are pretty straightforward (save for a couple 3rd party services e.g. apple's bonjour service, with a name like "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##"). And there's even a description column... Anyone could make such a list, it's just that he actually bothered.

I won't post my own disable list or batch file here.

I fail to see the point of it in the first place. A batch file to do this is trivial for anyone, using built-in tools like sc.exe. There's probably hundreds of reg tweaks on the forums that set it directly in the registry too (again, trivial to do). And there's tons of scripts floating around that do this too. Hell, it's even a one-liner in powershell to disable services listed in a plain old (easy to edit/update) text file:

get-content c:\somewhere\services.txt | set-service -startuptype disabled

And it's just as easy to export such a list or to make a basic HTML page from it (yet another one-liner). As for your own list of services to disable, I'm sure it works well for your needs, just like everybody else's own lists.

so you must have something better then right?

You mean like making one yourself, custom tailored according to your own personal needs? Because I think most people do...

so you must have something better then right?

You mean like making one yourself, custom tailored according to your own personal needs? Because I think most people do...

you obviously missed what i was responding too since how are you gonna make your own list if you dont know what each service does? said BV was worthless when all you do is simply use it to research what you think you need or dont need, there is no download there thats preconfigured, He mentions on the site his suggestions are based on his opinon from his experiments and gives plenty of warnings, either way you have to decide what you dont need for yourself

lots of ways to look each service up, but BV shows each one in order with info on what it does. from there with that you can simply use his registry creator and make your own .reg file. so the BV site is not worthless.

tweakguides has one too and its pretty much exactly the same, all of which was copied from BV. Like i said, what is better than that? guessing?

I'm not sure disabling services makes Vista run any "better", but it should help a little with the startup. However, note that Vista startup is largely asynchronous (whereas 2000 was entirely synchronous, and XP was mostly a synchronous boot with some asynchronous services and drivers). Since Vista is a mostly asynchronous boot process, far more than XP was, reducing boot time by disabling services or drivers won't yeild as much of the same benefit as it would with previous versions. As always, YMMV and the underlying hardware is going to be far more important in the boot process than what you load - if you have older, slower hardware (esp CPU), then yes this will help more than if you have a newer (especially multi-core) machine.