What new computer piece do you spend the most $$$ on

cumminbk

Dual 24" widescreen LCDs were probably the biggest investment on my main rig at home, followed by the graphics card - when buying a new setup I tend to go for the "price break point" CPU as it's easily upgraded later (when the price drops further, so it's still not the most expensive component), and RAM is dirt cheap, but the graphics card I tend to go towards the (reasonable) upper end of the scale.

ah come on, get dual 24's :)

i have a 24" and 22" right now, very nice for coding :)

When programming, I tend to need more vertical space (so I see more LOCs), not more width. And my 24" swivels, making it a 1200x1920 monitor, so I get to see plenty of lines at once. That works well for all kinds of stuff.

To use dual 24" LCDs, I'd need to find (and buy) a suitable 4 port dual DVI KVM switch (that preferably also supports dual link DVI) first :/ And again, I'd prefer having a single 30" LCD over that (no bezels in the middle of it), but unfortunately the very nice 30" LCDs (i.e. MVA/PVA/IPS, with a nice set of inputs, that rotates, HDCP support and everything else) are rather pricey e.g. Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP at $2049 CAD. The 27" UltraSharp 2709W is cheaper ($899) but it's still 1920x1200.

nice LCD setups!

but $369 for a motherboard? Unless you are going for insane OCes and SLI/CF, why?

You might find it strange that I'd spend that much on a MB and not O/C. But I don't O/C any piece of H/W that I own. I generally find, but not always, that the more expensive MBs have greater stability. They are designed for O/C'ing and need to be stable for it and it would make sense that it would be more stable at stock speeds. I don't use SLI either. I have multiple video cards so I can use more monitors. I currently have 3 LCDs and I'm planning on a 4th. I love the screen space. I write a lot of code, dabble in 3D modeling and animation, semi-pro photography, ect. It's nice to be working in an application and watching a tutorial video on how to do something without having to tab in and out.

I like to build high end machines. I build one super high end machine about every 3 years and upgrade parts here and there as needed.

369$ , if that's current us dollars, then that is pretty much standard for a medium/high end motherboard.

hardware today is meant to be overclocked, i gained the performance level of a 6600gt by overclocking 4850 card. It sets things in perspective.

If you could go faster, with what you have, and the only downside is the hardware will only live 20 years, not 40 years, and you still dont to overclock.

I'm not going to say what i think about that, children might read this xD

To use dual 24" LCDs, I'd need to find (and buy) a suitable 4 port dual DVI KVM switch (that preferably also supports dual link DVI) first :/

I guess I just work a little differently. Any additional systems that I use are either connected to via Remote Desktop or loaded in VMs. That's one of the main reasons I've got multiple monitors, to keep the various "managment" windows open on from my main computer.

As for single most expensive single piece of equipment - I'd have to agree with monitor. As with most things, once you start moving up in screen space, it's hard to drop back down.

As for highest quality - jcarle has a point in the motherboard department, but you don't necessarily have to break the bank here. I've got two systems built around ASUS P5B Deluxe boards (which were about $200 a piece), and they've been running strong for quite a while now.

As for most spent in a single category - storage. In the two systems I have at home there are 12 drives (2x500, 2x640, 8x1TB), and my two work computers have 4 hard drives between them. crahak already outlined the major points here, but I'll add another one - separate redundancy. I've got my main work computer does rolling backups over the past month, and then separate monthly backups for the past year, all stored in two separate locations in two separate buildings. Unless a meteor strikes the university where I work, I've got all the backups I need (at least of the really important stuff). ;)

Hmm, the most expensive part of my system would be the Monitor, a 19" Viewsonic VX924 which I paid $350 for a few years ago, but I havent upgraded from that purchase yet. Otherwise the Barebones Shuttle Kit which includes the Case, Mobo, PSU, HSF for $250 about 6 months ago, then the CPU, E8400 which was $200, then the GPU, 8800GT which was $150, then the HDD, WD WD6400AAKS, which I just got for around $80. However I think the GPU is the most expensive component because it probably has the highest turnover in terms of upgrading. BTW I'm now in the market again for a new monitor, either 24" or 26" @1920x1200 (16:10), and looking at something like the BenQ G2400WD.

For me it's software.

My home machines are re-animated from the dead (the Dr. Frankenstein method of computer building).

My most expensive purchase was a complete Apple IIe setup I bought in 1984 for $5,000.00.

• 2 weeks later...
I generally find, but not always, that the more expensive MBs have greater stability. They are designed for O/C'ing and need to be stable for it and it would make sense that it would be more stable at stock speeds.

Mine cost $180.00 and its designed for overclocking.

P5Q-E

Most money I spend is on the graphics card. Second in line is the motherboard.

Edited by brucevangeorge