• Ubuntu
    • Debian
    • RedHat
    • OpenSuse
    • Linux XP
    • Knoppix
    • Another Open Source Build
    • I Dont Like Linux

Choose which Distro you prefer/ like to use. Pro's , Cons etc.. specify which you like since they also come by different versions ..

Note : my option in the poll is limited to mainly what " I " have run already ! so if u didnt see an option u like u can specify and so on ...

PCLinuxOS - but I voted Mandriva as that is what its derived from.

I've tried Ubuntu a few times before and run into issues so given up and gone back to windows. Finally I pushed through the 'pain barrier' when I bought a (ASUS custom Xandros based) EeePC and tweaked it to just how I wanted it and learned a huge amount into the deal. Since then I haven't looked back and have downloaded a huge amount of distros to install on my new system that I am building. I came across Mandriva in my travels and I really liked it, then I found PCLinuxOS (a Mandriva derivative) which I really like.

One of the features I really like is that you can set it up and create your own custom install CD from your setup fairly easily (I haven't tried it yet, only read about it so can't say to much yet). Basically it is similar to imaging a system but it is 'universal' and not hardware defendant (as images are). So once you've set your PC up haw you like it, you can share it with your friends (it can boot as a Live CD or as an install disk).

I've used OpenSUSE, Debian, Mandriva, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu and can say that the overwhelming favorite is Debian Lenny (the testing version of Debian).

Software gets frequently upgraded to newer versions shortly after upstream releases it and it goes through the phase in Debian Unstable where they ensure it works and plays well with the rest of Debian.

As easy as any other distro if using aptitude as the package manager and use it to install the desktop, kde-desktop, and gnome-desktop tasks after the standard installation is done and logged in. Then just add other things as one learns what one wants/needs for his/her software.

Doesn't have as many distro customizations and administrative GUI additions but that's actually better. There's less to break down and the Debian specific administrative tools are easy to learn and simple to use. Works just fine with KDE or Gnome administrative tools for those tasks that a user likes to see a GUI tool for.

Between upstream and Debian if a piece of software can be made to work stable, it is. If not, in most cases, Debian doesn't release it into testing. So we'll wait longer for KDE 4 and such. Big deal. Apparently they got KTorrent and some other stuff built for KDE 4 working recently because I opened KTorrent today and noticed it had the KDE 4 style and icons. But the point is that we don't get stuck with experimental stuff that other distros tend to force on the user before they're really ready. And if we want it, we have an experimental repo. So we have the freedom to break our systems if we so desire but it doesn't get released in a broken state (ie: Ubuntu, which often does, but they do fix it up eventually).

Plus, if it's free software we are likely to find it right in our repo. And it's not that difficult to access some non-free stuff if needed though either the Debian maintained contrib and non-free repo or places like debian-multimedia.org and upstream sites specifically.

It also seems less likely to ever need huge full system upgrades, especially if one uses the testing distro, that sometimes go badly and need a format and fresh install, unlike the time-based distro releases. We just full-upgrade every day and get the latest versions of stuff. No 6 month wait.

This thread got me interested in trying out Linux. I've been wanting to test it. Typing this off my laptop running

the latest Puppy Linux, I think it's 4.0. I'm very impressed. About 90 MB total running off of a CD. I ended up having to download a

driver for my wireless adapter and to remaster the CD. The whole process took about an hour. Very quick and stable. I'm tempted to run this on the office PC's if I can find all the drivers.

Edited by maggotspawn

This thread got me interested in trying out Linux. I've been wanting to test it. Typing this off my laptop running

the latest Puppy Linux, I think it's 4.0. I'm very impressed. About 90 MB total running off of a CD. I ended up having to download a

driver for my wireless adapter and to remaster the CD. The whole process took about an hour. Very quick and stable. I'm tempted to run this on the office PC's if I can find all the drivers.

If you install Puppy to HDD you won't need to remaster the disc. But yes, if you can find drivers for all your hardware and don't mind a little compiling from source, it is a great mini-distro.

• 1 month later...

Ubuntu honestly changed my perception of Linux.

I used other Linux back in 2000-03... but those were only better at GUI than windows... even after XP's lauch but they had terrible hang-outs.

But ever since I checked Ubuntu, I am with love with it.

Lately I find 64 bit versions are difficult to handle due to limited addons from 3rd parties....

Anyways Ubuntu obviously takes the cake :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Slackware, the first and the best. It's got just about everything on one DVD, multiple window managers, and tons of options. it tore me away from Ubuntu...i use ubuntu on my laptop for the hardware support (don't need extra drivers for anything) but on my spare desktops, running a spare desktop with Slackware in any window manager is a lot of fun. i remember having a distro that let me alternate which window manager i used, but i don't remember which it was.

it doesn't take too long to install, and its got everything i need.