How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Maybe its time to make release or give us source code?

WHY?

WHO are "us"?

Do you feel like you can better the code and/or mantain it better than it is currently?

Mind you there is NO secret about the app, everything is documented in the Forum posts or can be easily derived from the behaviour of the app, if you feel like you can do a better work on it, why don't you write your own utility (as opposed to PUSHing it's developer to do something)?

You already posted about this:

It seems like you failed to explain the new features you would like to have (or the Author finds them not useful or they would be so complex to implement for your special case as to break compatibility/reliability of the app).

One thing IMHO is suggesting features, another one is PRETENDING to have them added and/or the source code released because of your personal *needs*. :ph34r:

Why don't you try explaining AGAIN, this time in more detail:

• WHAT are the features that you would like added. (with as mcuh EXACT detail as possible)
  • HOW you suggest them to be implemented. (even pseudo-code would do)
  • WHY do you think they may be useful. (like a DETAILed real life example where they can be used)
  • WHICH are the advantages of your proposed solution.

Maybe the Author, Ilko_t , could then IF he finds them useful AND IF AND WHEN he has time to add them, decide to implement them. :unsure:

Remember that this is a "hobby" and the Author is NOT obliged with you or anyone else to do anything, let alone releasing the source code of the app, should he wish NOT to do so.

Since you deploy 5-10 system per month, you are a Professional (and NOT a home user) maybe you could contact Ilko_t privately and (just an idea - I have no way to know if this is feasible/what Ilko_t may be willing to do) hire him, or substantially donate for the app development.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys and thanks for these great advices and guides presented here.

I've been experimenting with installing a newer version of XP [integrated August 2011 SP3] from an USB Stick .

I've used the WinSetupFromUSB version 0.2.3 and everything is quite fine until I start the SECOND part of the instalation and the in gives me some errors :

1: Can't fins some ... unzip something ;

2:can;t fine something else :)

and finally is says 3: Untranslatable message , Win32LastError is 14001 :( .

What am I doing wrong ?

The only modification I've done to the distribution is using nLite to remove the folders DOCS, VALUEADD etc. and the Windows Sounds and Music Samples while adding the latest AHCI drivers from Intel and Fernando's AMD AHCI modded ones .

Also I've tried to do a completely UNATTENDED install but it still shows me the F8 = I Agree screen ...

Anyway ... what can I do about this "Win32LastError is 14001" thing and how can I get rid of the "F8 - I Agree" screen ?

Use genuine source. Integrate updates and drivers and remove components yourself.

There are notes in first post about unattended section in winnt.sif in 0.x.x version, 1.0 versions do not have that limitation if you use it to get rid of EULA screen.

Search the subforum or this topic for the EULA screen, it has been mentioned numerous times.

As far as I know there are two ways for installing Debian from a hd-like media:

Let the program help a bit, tested with debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso -

1) Extract the ISO somewhere, select Syslinux option and point program to the directory with the extracted contents. Press GO. Then rename ISOLINUX directory on USB disk to SYSLINUX, rename ISOLINUX.CFG to SYSLINUX.CFG inside the renamed SYSLINUX directory too.

Or:

http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch04s04.html.en

2) Get initrd and kernel for installing from hd-media:

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/initrd.gz

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/vmlinuz

Put them somewhere on the USB disk, say \debian\

Use the following lines in menu.lst:

title Debian install
ls /debian/vmlinuz || find --set-root /debian/vmlinuz
kernel /debian/vmlinuz
initrd /debian/initrd.gz

Place the appropriate Debain ISO file, that could be netinstall ISO as well, in root of the USB disk, installer will search for it and mount it. No idea if that way multiple ISO files are supported, e.g. CD1, CD2 etc.

I tried your tool and can not install into HD (I want auto-setup winxp in HD - not USB) but fail.

I do not know the reason. Please tell me!

Hmmm.

Last time I talked with ilko_t his crystal ball wasn't anywhere better tuned than mine, and I can see in it nothing wrong in what you did, EXCEPT FAILING to provide MEANINGFUL DATA! :realmad:

Maybe this could help you as a guideline:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

jaclaz

As far as I know there are two ways for installing Debian from a hd-like media:

Let the program help a bit, tested with debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso -

1) Extract the ISO somewhere, select Syslinux option and point program to the directory with the extracted contents. Press GO. Then rename ISOLINUX directory on USB disk to SYSLINUX, rename ISOLINUX.CFG to SYSLINUX.CFG inside the renamed SYSLINUX directory too.

Or:

http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch04s04.html.en

2) Get initrd and kernel for installing from hd-media:

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/initrd.gz

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/vmlinuz

Put them somewhere on the USB disk, say \debian\

Use the following lines in menu.lst:

title Debian install
ls /debian/vmlinuz || find --set-root /debian/vmlinuz
kernel /debian/vmlinuz
initrd /debian/initrd.gz

Place the appropriate Debain ISO file, that could be netinstall ISO as well, in root of the USB disk, installer will search for it and mount it. No idea if that way multiple ISO files are supported, e.g. CD1, CD2 etc.

ilko_t,

It is working... I made a stupid mistake... I downloaded the ia64 iso instead x64 :(

Thank you for your answer,

Johny

This guide will show you, how to use WinSetupFromUSB to create a bootable USB Flash Drive including all Windows source files, plus the following installation of Windows XP. Compare to the different USB_Multiboot versions, WinSetupFromUSB comes with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and is in my opinion easier to use.

Here you can get the latest version of the program and you will also find many detailed informations about WinSetupFromUSB.

I’ve tested this guide with a 32-bit version of Windows XP and a 64-bit version of Windows Vista and it worked flawlessly.

Prerequisites:

All you need is:

a USB Flash Drive with at least 1GB of storage

the original Windows XP Setup CD

WinSetupFromUSB

If you use nLite to slim down your version of Windows XP, please keep the following in mind:

DO NOT remove “Manual Install and Upgrade”

under Operating System Options!

I also recommend to integrate Service Pack 3 into your Windows XP source files.

1. Preparations

Download and install WinSetupFromUSB. Default installation path is C:\WinSetupFromUSB.

Create a new folder with the name WINXPCD in the root directory of drive C:\ and copy all files from your Windows XP Setup CD into this folder. Depending on your version of Windows XP, the content of C:\WINXPCD should look approximately like this:

The following files will show you, which Service Pack is already integrated into your CD:

WIN51IC.SP1, Sevice Pack 1

WIN51IC.SP2, Sevice Pack 2

WIN51IC.SP3, Sevice Pack 3

2. Start WinSetupFromUSB

Connect the USB Flash Drive to your PC and start WinSetupFromUSB. It should show up under USB Disk Selection :

3. Select your Source Path

Click on Browse under Windows 2000/XP/2003 Source and navigate to the folder with your Windows XP Source Files. It should be C:\WINXPCD:

Click OK and C:\WINXPCD should show up under Windows 2000/XP/2003 Source :

4. Format USB Flash Drive

PeToUSB or HP Format Tool are used to format the USB Flash Drive. There is no need to download these programs seperately as they are already included in WinSetupFromUSB.

USB Flash Drives up to 2GB should be formatted with PeToUSB in FAT16, USB Flash Drives with 4GB or more with HP Format Tool in FAT32.

I will use PeToUSB to format my Kingston Data Traveler with 2GB.

In the main window of WinSetupFromUSB click PeToUSB under Format target using to start the program. The USB Flash Drive should show up under Destination Drive. Check USB Removable, Enable Disk Format and Quick Format. Uncheck Enable File Copy under File Copy Options :

Click Start and answer the following two questions “Continue?” with Yes.

All existing volumes and data will be lost!

If everything goes well, the message “Operation Completed Successfully!” should appear. Click OK and close PeToUSB.

The process with HP Format Tool is similar.

5. Copy Windows XP Source Files

To start the process of copying the Windows XP source files to the USB Flash Drive, click GO in the main window of WinSetupFromUSB. Depending on the write speed of your USB Flash drive it may take a while to copy all files.

At the end the following notice about the Windows installation process should be displayed:

Click OK and close WinSetupFromUSB with EXIT.

6. Windows Installation – Part 1

Connect the USB Flash Drive to your PC and turn on the computer. Press ESC at the boot screen and you will be able to select the USB Flash Drive as your boot device from the boot menu.

The ESC key is used by ASUS for the Eee PC series.

Other manufacturers may use other keys, e.g. F8 or F12.

After booting from USB Flash Drive, the following menu should be displayed:

Windows XP/2000/2003 Setup – First and Second parts

Press Enter or wait 10 seconds to get to the next menu:

First part of Windows XP Home Edition setup

Second part of XP Home Edition setup+Start Windows for first time

First part of Windows XP Home Edition setup is already selected. Press Enter or wait 10 seconds to start the Text mode part of setup. During this part you can create, delete and format partitions and finally the setup files are copied to your hard disk. At the end the system will restart automatically.

7. Windows Installation – Part 2

After restart, boot the PC again from your USB Flash Drive. The same menu should be displayed:

Second part of XP Home Edition setup+Start Windows for first time is already selected. Press Enter or wait 10 seconds to start the GUI mode part of setup. During this part you will be asked for your product key, timezone, usernames and other necessary informations. At the end the system will restart automatically.

8. Windows Installation – Part 3

After restart, boot the PC again from your USB Flash Drive. The same menu should be displayed:

Second part of XP Home Edition setup+Start Windows for first time is already selected. Press Enter or wait 10 seconds to Start Windows for the first time. The Windows installation process will be finished and finally the Windows Desktop will appear.

DO NOT disconnect the USB Flash Drive too early!

At next startup you can boot into Windows from your hard disk.

Notes:

After successsful installation, the following boot menu will always be displayed during startup:

Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

If you don’t plan to use the repair option and want to boot directly into windows, you have to do the following:

Open the file boot.ini in the root directory of drive C:\ with Notepad:

[boot Loader]timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINDOWS=”USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Delete the following line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINDOWS=”USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

DO NOT delete the wrong line!

Your computer may not boot the next time!

Save changes to the file.

At next startup the boot menu will not be displayed.

If you want to keep the repair option, you can reduce the time to display the operating system options from 30 to 5 seconds:

[boot Loader]

timeout=5

Save changes to the file.

At next startup the boot menu will be displayed only 5 seconds.

Edited by tushar007

I get error when install windows 7 ultimate x64 or x32 from second partition; I used digital river windows 7 , it's not from windows or from mass storage driver or chipset; I get error from 2 laptops dell inspiron n5110 with 2310m cpu and inspiron 6400 with t7200 cpu; I use the latest gru4dos and nothing http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

I used 2 usb sticks silicon power 8 gb and transcend 4 gb with same error

img0273ik.th.jpg

A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVDm or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note. If the windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

Edited by truca

A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVDm or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note. If the windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

Try this other approach:

http://reboot.pro/9076/

Please note how steve6375 's site has been moved to:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/

and some links may not yet have been corrected/valid.

These should be the tutorials you need:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/winiso

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/multiisoimdiskautounattend

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/firawiniso

jaclaz

I can't find a manual on the internet. I'm having problems creating a windows 7 boot usb disk. I formatted the disk using NTFS and FAT32 but after copying the windows installation files and inserting it into whatever machine it won't boot from USB. It just reverts to the normal windows bootup from the HD.

I can't find a manual on the internet. I'm having problems creating a windows 7 boot usb disk. I formatted the disk using NTFS and FAT32 but after copying the windows installation files and inserting it into whatever machine it won't boot from USB. It just reverts to the normal windows bootup from the HD.

What do you mean "I formatted"?

You should PARTITION and format the the USB disk, and possibly use RMPREPUSB to do it (as it has some additional tricks that may help with some motherboards).

Read on the site mentioned in the post just above yours.

jaclaz

hi,

i just tried out the 1.0 beta7, but i got a problem:

at first i tweaked the original XP install a bit with nlite (1.4.9.1) added sp3, some drivers for my board, chipset, lan, audio, then some unattended features like network settings and users.

i get the "hal.dll not found or damaged" message after the first reboot to second stage.

i got 4 partitions, 1. linux 2. data 3. data 4. free all primary, created with linux fdisk

trying to install xp to partition 4

i read about the boot.ini fix, but i could not find one on the usb stick

its probably only for the stable version i guess...

as the second try i used the original XP without using nlite, and it worked perfectly

ciao,

spatz23