How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

1) Download the latest 1.0 beta7 from the first post in the topic and extract it to simple path, say D:\winsetup

2) Partition and format the USB disk using Windows disk management. Make the first partition primary, NTFS and active and use it for the purpose.

3) Run the tool, put checkmark on XP/2000/2003 and press the "..." button to point the program to your XP source. This must me extracted ISO, ISO mounted in a virtual CD or similar, NOT an ISO file itself. You must select the parent directory of I386, for example if XP source is in c:\winxp\ select that directory.

4) Put checkmark on Windows 7 field, browse for it's source. Again, ISO is not accepted, extract it using 7-zip for example or mount it as a virtual DVD.

5) Press GO button and wait until program completes its job.

Just run the program the same way if you want to add another XP/2000/2003. You can add up to 99 versions of XP/2000/2003 in the same partition.

If need to add another Vista, 7, or Server 2008, refer to the links in the first post how to do it. The program is designed to add only one of those.

Man I have been spending nite and day trying to figure out how to pass the ARC from CD to USB in grub4dos to stop the can't find bios.inf file if passing the torch from CD to USB. ilko_t, have you had a chance to take a look at a possible fix?

warez\illegal software

I didn't think Hiren's was warez anymore since 10.5. All the illegal stuff was removed and replaced with all free stuff.

Edited by laddanator

Man I have been spending nite and day trying to figure out how to pass the ARC from CD to USB in grub4dos to stop the can't find bios.inf file if passing the torch from CD to USB. ilko_t, have you had a chance to take a look at a possible fix?

When you do that, where is the usbdrive.tag file found without any HD mapping? Is it (hd0,0), or (hd1,0), or...?

Can you test that on a few machines?

BIOS boot order may interfere too, say CD first, HD second and USB disk third may give different results than CD first, USB disk second and HD third. Can you try on a few machines?

I don't have any test machines around to play with.

warez\illegal software

I didn't think Hiren's was warez anymore since 10.5. All the illegal stuff was removed and replaced with all free stuff.

You don't consider the included mini Windows XP free and legally redistributed, do you? ;)

AFAIK MS DOS has the same limitations.

When you do that, where is the usbdrive.tag file found without any HD mapping? Is it (hd0,0), or (hd1,0), or...?

If I boot from CD and load the menu.lst from my JumpDrive, its usually (hd1,0) . If I boot straight from USB, its always (hd0,0). Wonder if the map could be changed from HD TO CD like this:

map (hd1) (cd)

map (cd) (hd1)

map --hook

chainloader (hd1)+1

rootnoverify (hd1)

I tried this but with no luck...just wondering if I coded it wrong?

I don't use usbdrive.tag...this is example of my menu entries but my laddbootusb.tag is the same. I borrowed your list and just added my tweaks.

# XP HOME
iftitle [find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootusb.tag && call set XP=%@root^%] 01.XP HOME SP3 With MOST Drivers %XP% \nDecember 2011\nMust Be Booting From USB Stick
find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootusb.tag
password --md5 $1$A$hzYlFap3SLNNQ/tA7c3.S.
clear
set /p /u Answer=ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO INSTALL XP HOME SP3...Y or N :
if /i "%Answer%"=="n" echo Back To Main Menu! && configfile %XP%/Menu/xp.lst
echo Installing XP HOME From %XP%
set Home=%XP%/WINSETUP/ISO/HOME.ISO
set Offset=%XP%/BOOTWS
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
map %Home% (0xff) || map --mem %Home% (0xff)
checkrange 0x00,0x01 read 0x8280 && configfile %Offset%/fd.lst
checkrange 8 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/8.lst
checkrange 7 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/7.lst
checkrange 6 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/6.lst
checkrange 5 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/5.lst
checkrange 4 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/4.lst
checkrange 3 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/3.lst
checkrange 2 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/2.lst
checkrange 1 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/1.lst
boot
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook

You don't consider the included mini Windows XP free and legally redistributed, do you?

I was reading up on that and I found that if you own or have a legal XP product key (which I have two) then your in the legal bounds to use MiniXP.

BIOS boot order may interfere too, say CD first, HD second and USB disk third may give different results than CD first, USB disk second and HD third. Can you try on a few machines?

Trying it now...good idea! :yes:

Edited by laddanator

It's not so much as to whether you are legal to use it , it is so much as to the ORIGIN of it.

It is being distributed from a non-official source. (Thus allowing any jack-anape to procure and use it, Even if they do not own Windows)

Now if you were to BUILD it yourself from your own disks you legally bought and own. (Like ubcd4win helps you do) THEN it would be OK.

Same bios error, just tried it on 3 machines but if it had worked, kinda defeated my purpose. On allot of older XP machines, there is no bios setting to boot to USB or removable. I have about a 98% percent success rate boot my USB from CD on older machines but if XP want load then all I can use is my partitioning tools and etc. PLoP works sometimes but the load menu.lst from CD to USB has been the best...this is from my CD menu.lst

iftitle [if exist /laddsbootdvd.tag && find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootusb.tag && call set USB=%@root^%/menu.lst] 02.USB Menu Helper From  %USB% (Only Works If USB Is Plugged In)\n
find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootdvd.tag
echo Load USB %USB%
configfile %USB%

The %USB% shows the root. On my personal pc the root is (hd3,0) if I boot the menu.lst from CD. Seems to always be the last drive in the loop. I mean if you have 5 hard drives, most likely the USB will be (hd6,0). Of course if I boot straight to the USB from my computer, it's always (hd0,0)

Now if you were to BUILD it yourself from your own disks you legally bought and own. (Like ubcd4win helps you do) THEN it would be OK.

Pretty much build my own...if it's ok to add, my MiniXP gives can't find txtsetup.inf if I boot the USB menu.lst from CD bot if I boot straight from USB, Mini loads fine...don't care if the Mini is broke, just want the XP working(felt like the Mini not loading as well was a good sigh its not the XP, only reason I added the comment). Hope I didnt break any rules with the Mini comment?

Edited by laddanator

@laddanator

Try editing each of the files in BOOTWS folder starting from 2.lst. Add " ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && " in front of each line which swaps the hard disk order e.g.:

2.lst:

ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd0) (hd1)
ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd1) (hd0)

In other words, do hard disk swapping only if USB disk is first. If not- no swapping at all, assume it's last and since we already read from BIOS how many disks are present (checkrange N calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile %Offset%/N.lst) we should know the USB disk number, if it's really last.

This should work if USB disk is first or last. Please test on computers which do support USB boot. On the others, I doubt it would work, even with the help of PLoP, but of course a test wouldn't hurt.

I also have this error:

File \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.
The error code is 14

Without any mappings usbdrive.tag is on:

grub> find /usbdrive.tag
(fd0,0)
(fd0)

That's very nice machine...

What's motherboard model and make?

What's the name of the ISO file in WINSETUP folder, or just attach winsetup.lst with your next post. I'll prepare another file to test several options.

What is the result of these two commands in grub4dos CLI?

read 0x8280
calc *0x475 & 0xFF

Do you have an option in BIOS for the USB disk emulation- USB-FD, HDD-ZIP, USB-HD? If yes, what is it set to?

How did you partition and format the USB disk, using which program and which options?