Help: I need to Get 2GB installed RAM working in Win98SE

EGOvoruhk

I am a little rusty but I think this is it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

From memory windows starts to install, but on its first restart it crashes right?

So let it start to install as normal, then when it gives you the error about not enough memory to initialise...

You have to use a boot disk to get to a command prompt.

Put in a boot disk, press Ctrl-alt-delete to restart the computer

Then type EDIT

The press "Alt F" to open the file menu. Scroll down and select OPEN

Browse your file system and find system.ini in your WINDOWS folder.

Add the line:

MaxPhysPage=30000

save

Close

press ctrl-alt-delete to reboot again

Windows should continue its setup process.

Edited by galahs

Add the line:

MaxPhysPage=30000

MaxPhysPage=30000 has to be under the [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI.

You will need to put MaxFileCache=65536 under the [vcache] section in SYSTEM.INI.

If there is no [vcache] section then just add it to the end of the file.

After Windows has installed, you can experiment with these values to find optimal maximums.

You can get to a 98SE command prompt by holding the Ctrl key as Windows starts.

You may need to hold the Ctrl key just after the computer beeps after the POST.

The Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu will appear. Select Safe mode command prompt only.

This can also be used when you are testing values of the above and Windows does not start.

From the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini

Use the Alt key to bring up the Edit menu.

Does anyone use 2G RAM and Video Card with 256MB RAM can boot win98 successful ?

My Video Card is GeForce 6800Ultra , and I try to edit system.ini with any possible config but I can't find anyway to boot win98 successful........................... :(

StarRiver said:
Does anyone use 2G RAM and Video Card with 256MB RAM can boot win98 successful ?

My Video Card is GeForce 6800Ultra , and I try to edit system.ini with any possible config but I can't find anyway to boot win98 successful........................... :(

Well, the last resort is to try rloew's RAM Limitation Patch. It's not for free, though. But the demo is, so you can test and see whether it solves your problem. HTH.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, this is now also my case of troubles:

I still use Win98SE (multiboot with DOS, WXP, Linux) and I just upgraded

RAM from 1GB to 2GB (my system is 945/ICH7 mb & 7600GS PCIE 256M VGA).

I hadn't any problems under 98SE with 1G, as I know about VCACHE issue I

limited it in system.ini:

MaxFileCache=261120

MinFileCache=32768

ChunkSize=4096

MaxPhysPage=40000

As this works fine I didn't expected further problems with adding

more mem. I just pull two 1G DIMMs and when 1st booting 98SE it

hangs in text mode screen with blinking cursor. I tried safe mode

but got insufficent memory message during boot. When I tried normal

mode again, it went further but I got only VGA mode 640x480/16

with message "There is a problem with your display settings. The

adapter type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work

with your hardware [OK]". Then display dialog appeared. I tried

to set some higher resolution, reboot but then it hanged again.

I search a lot of topic on web and try adjusting vcache size and

lowering physpage limit, even some patched vcache.vxd but nothing

helped.

I also found Loew's memory limit patch demo. 1st problem was that I

use czech win98se so patch didn't applied. I had to seek some

torrents to get eng. ISO. I backup my system and made clean

win98se-eng installation. I needed to modify system.ini physpage

to complette installation to solve insuficent memory error.

System seemed to work OK with 2GB installed - seeing only 1GB.

But after I installed ForceWare 82.69 drivers for my nVidia

it become unbootable like my CZ version, hanging during boot.

So then I tried Loew's parch 3.2 demo. Now it successfully patched

the english files. I booted safe mode and it booted OK and

even show up all 2GB.

http://rayer.ic.cz/350d/WIN2GBPT.PNG

Well but the problem is that in safe mode VGA drivers are not

loaded so I cannot see if it will works together like in normal

mode. I don't need to use whole 2GB under 98SE (1G is enough) I

just want boot it in normal mode with display driver in usable

resolution.

I also tried to change VGA to my older 6600GT 128MB and same problem.

It seems like VGA LFB memory mapping conflicts with something else.

But I don't understand why. If I'm right, W9x use for this system area

located C0000000-FFFFFFFF. My VGA use LFB at always at D0000000-DFFFFFFF

despite I use 1GB or 2GB RAM it's in system area where it fitted well before.

Do you think that Loew's patch (full) will solve it or is there other way

to use it with limited memory?

Can be size of memory limited at very low HW level? I mean e.g. program

945 MCH chipset to temporary disable one DIMM bank to reach same

effect like when DIMM removed physically?

Problem (partially) solved!

After some days of messing I finally found HimemX XMS manager freely available here http://japheth.de/Jemm.html

which allows you to limit XMS size by /MAX= option. After I limit XMS to 1GB it boots and seems to work fine!

Of course windows sees then only 1GB but it's acceptable for me, I don't need then any commercial patch.

Here's my lines of system.ini:

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=40000

[vcache]

MaxFileCache=261120

MinFileCache=32768

ChunkSize=4096

Thanks xrayer .

Could you write a quick step to step of how to install and use this Expanded Memory Manager

This will come in handy more and more in the future, no doubt.

Edited by galahs

Problem (partially) solved!

After some days of messing I finally found HimemX XMS manager freely available here http://japheth.de/Jemm.html

which allows you to limit XMS size by /MAX= option. After I limit XMS to 1GB it boots and seems to work fine!

Of course windows sees then only 1GB but it's acceptable for me, I don't need then any commercial patch.

Nice!

xrayer, does this also let you boot into Safe Mode?

This was always a problem with 1.5GB or more of RAM since the SYSTEM.INI memory settings are ignored in Safe Mode.

I wonder if by limiting RAM at the XMS manager level, it might be possible to get more RAM available to Windows than the current maximum 1152MB?

1280MB?

Something to look at!

Currently, with only replacing the himem.sys its unable to boot safemode coz windoze then load himem.sys on its own. But I found the strings in IO.SYS and patched and then it run also in safemode. I will program some small patch utility to rewrite it.

Installation of himemx.exe is quite esay, just download it, extract himemx.exe to windows directory and replace the line in config.sys to calling this driver. It has regular EXE stub so you can type "himemx.exe" in command line to get help, also there is included documentation and source code :) Thanks to Japheth maintaining it.

Edited by xrayer

You might want to try patch.exe, from KanastaCorp: it's freeware, very small and very simple to use.

I think you should add Xeno86's fixed VCache.VxD to your system, at least because, when in Safe Mode, as you know, system.ini is ignored, so that your system is at risk of crashing from VCache getting too big. It gives you a default of 393216 (384 MB), which is much safer than 800 MB, and you still can keep your MaxFileCache=261120 entry in system.ini file, for normal mode operation.

And, finally, if you feel like it and have time to do it, I'd much appreciate to know how your system behaves when limited to 1280 MB and to 1536 MB, with a XMSDSK of 262240 and MaxFileCache=114688. Yes, these are the settings that work in my 1.5 GB system, but I use a 32 MB video board with 64 MB AGP aperture... My guess is that your system won't work with 1.5 GB but may possibly do so with 1.25 GB. Since you are the first to discover that windows 9x/ME in fact does not directly detect how much RAM the system has, but relies instead in what the XMS manager tells it, you should also be the first to explore the tweaking possibilities this knowledge opens up to all of us.

You rock! :thumbup

Hi,

I wrote a small patch yesterday http://www.volny.cz/rayer/os/w98iopat.exe which fix IO.SYS to load himemx.exe instead of himem.sys for safe mode. I don't have problems with crashing in safemode (btw I know about mentioned fixed vcache.vxd). Just copy patch to root dir beside io.sys and run it (make backup before).

I didn't much experimended how can be RAM increased, I just try a few values 1.5G 1.25G (physpage=60000 resp 50000) and it hangs during boot so I gave it up, some additional few megs + are not much important for me, I need stable system. I laso tried to eat excesive RAM with XMSDSK but it didn't work for me.

Thanks for xrayer :thumbup I also multiboot Win98 and WinXP with 2GB RAM successful while use HimemX.exe :thumbup

Here's my win98's modify steps

1. Download HimemX from http://japheth.de/Jemm.html

2. Copy himemx.exe to win98 directory

3. Add the line in config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WIN98\HIMEMX.EXE

4. Here's my lines of system.ini:

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=48000

MinSPs=16

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

DMABufferSize=64

[vcache]

MaxFileCache=65535

ChunkSize=1024

After these step, I boot win98 with 2G RAM successful

In winXP, the sysem can detect 2GB RAM

2379680319_e96b98abb8_o.jpg

And in win98, the system can detect 1150MB RAM

2379678421_1f7e0c69e0_o.jpg

Hi xrayer,

I wrote a small patch yesterday http://www.volny.cz/rayer/os/w98iopat.exe which fix IO.SYS to load himemx.exe instead of himem.sys for safe mode.

I think there might be a little problem with your IO.SYS patch!?

Look at the bytes in the following 2 lines: (o=0x0, d=0xd)

\HIMEM.SYSo/TESTMEM:ONdoo

\HIMEMX.EXEo/MAX=999999do

Since HIMEMX.EXE is one byte longer than HIMEM.SYS, the termination zero-byte 0x0 is moved one byte to the right by your patch. But this is exactly the byte where the HIMEM parameter /TESTMEM starts. So if IO.SYS is using the usual method of addressing strings (with a fixed address table), and I´m quite sure it indeed does it this way, then this address pointer for the parameter now points to this zero-byte (instead of the starting ´/´ of /MAX=...). So this parameter /MAX=999999 isn´t used at all by IO.SYS, I´m afraid! :(

A simple solution would be to just rename HIMEMX.EXE to HIMEM.EXE, so the length would be the same as HIMEM.SYS and the terminating zero-byte doesn´t need to be moved.

Furthermore you could now even use 1 full GB (1048576) instead of 999999, because after the /TESTMEM string there are 2 zero-bytes (but only 1 is needed of course), so you could increase the string length by 1 byte.

Edited by fhub